Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aussie Joe

Docklands Rink in Melbourne, Australia.

Not far off what the video shows. They are plodding along at a nice steady pace. Our Association members get monthly updates and so far there is no reason to whinge, a relief on my part I can assure you.

Bring your woolies Kev, last week, one night dropped below zero here. -2.1C recorded.

Wow, that place looks like it will be awesome. It will add to the already nice city of Melbourne. Congrats! Maybe I'l be able to see it the next time I vacation in AU.

I dont live in Oz but I work in design & engineering, I would be interested in seeing concept images/sketches whatever.

Dont know if there are any of if you have access to them.. but you have site photos so I thought I'd ask :)

Sorry Stu, what you see is what you get. There was some prelim sketches done (or "artist's impression") but I was told since they were done c. 2006 the design has changed rapidly.

Was in Melbourne last week, hobbling due to the $%^&* soccer injury.

Did get a chance to stop by Docklands (wife wanted to go shopping at Harbour Town), and we had lunch just next to the rink area. It was not open, so didnt have a chance to go inside. It looks pretty good from the outside... will this be the premier place to play in Melbourne once its up?

Bump...

The rink's website is up... IceHouse, opening in Feb 2010, but the word is that they will be letting a few hockey teams train/play on it as soon as the hockey arena has been setup in two months. Should be a beauty.

Also,

Well Friday was the day of the grand opening!

The rec rink is now open for general sessions and the hockey rink (as you can see in the pics) is in the process of having the ice sheet laid. I have skated on the rec rink twice and I can tell you its everything it should be. Flat, seamless and very quick! I skated on my usual 1/2 inch and I felt like I should be skating on something deeper considering how hard that ice sheet is... and its only Feb!

Needless to say the rink is sensational, everything we have been dreaming for in the past 20 years! Boards are made in Canada and the stadium seats 1000 people! That’s 700 more then our current rink setup. it is now the premier rink in Australia.

A pity I strained my LCL again playing Roller. Looks like I will be off the rink for 6 weeks :(

Enjoy the pics...

This pic shows the size of the rink...

IMG_0497.jpg

I took this pic to show the quality of construction and that the rink is 100% purpose built for hockey...

IMG_0500-1.jpg

The Sin Bin: bigger bench then our current team bench at Oakleigh...

IMG_0501.jpg

now time to bring one down to geelong :D

You had one in Geelong, Kyle, it was closed because their wasn't enough people supporting it. It was an OK rink but, I went down there a couple of times to train with the Cougars.

PS: Do you know Cory Vickers or Daniel Szalinski by any chance?

You had one in Geelong, Kyle, it was closed because their wasn't enough people supporting it. It was an OK rink but, I went down there a couple of times to train with the Cougars.

PS: Do you know Cory Vickers or Daniel Szalinski by any chance?

I had no interest in ice hockey back then haha...i do now though

I know cory vickers but not personally