Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dgaronzik

Where are all the real men?

Right off the bat, no homosexual comments, I know they're coming but there's a higher purpose to this thread. :angry:

I consider hockey players to be a fairly manly group of athletes, most of us are guys' guys. We play a rough sport, arent afraid to sweat, bleed, get hurt. But all this talk about Metrosexual in hockey ( :cough:Vapor:cough: ) got me thinking. How many of hockey players are still real men, because according to my girlfriend and all her friends, we're a dying breed (so much so that anytime I do something remotely 'manly', I always hear that so and so is jealous that I do that stuff and am not afraid to do that stuff). By real men, I mean the kind of man that doesnt mind sweating, camping, drinking beer, burping, farting, getting their hands dirty, having any form of body hair at all and can change oil/a flat tire or do construction around the house. edit: almost forgot one of the most important items, knows how to treat a woman properly.

So my question is this, what do you consider yourself to be?

:) Dont worry. I do all the stuff you just said. I just dress in nice couture. If I changed what I wore, you wouldnt say a word about me.

That's not what TV tells us women want.

Thats the problem if you ask me. TV tells us that women would rather have a guy that would rather pay to have oil changed then do it themselves. However, Im willing to bet that 9 out of 10 women would say its sexy if their man changed their own oil.

My girlfriend has made me a better dresser over the past 2.5 years, but she'll never take away my tools. And thats one of the reasons she loves me.

I used to be a combo, I was into alot of Diesel and junk, but now i'm more out of it. I was never a "metro", but close i'd say. Right now I'd say I'm almost a real man, at least thats what my mom says.

I built an addition and a deck on my old house. The ladies seemed impressed when I have a vision of what I want done and am actually doing it. I'm guessing that'll change once I get married... they'll just want it done.

The people on TV live in a very well insulated little world and assume that the whole world is just like their circle of friends.

I'm a hybid somewhere, so maybe I'm like a man-boy. I've got floppy hair, not in the mold of playoff flow or anything like that. I did whip up a kegerator with some friends though and that took all of my manly MacGuyver skills that I could muster. I can box a little but running constitutes most of my exercise routine. I can't golf for crap, which I think puts me in the more manly side because I refuse to do anything that frustrating because I'm stubborn as hell.

Funny you bring this up, Mrs LightBeer and i were having this conversation one day when i was helping her pack for a before-school basketball practice. She packed a bathing suit, and the conversation went thusly:

"Gonna take a swim before school?"

"No, but I am going to shower..."

(Puzzled look from me)

"Don't you hockey boys shower?"

"Yes, after every skate."

"Not in bathing suits."

"Only if you want your ass kicked."

(horrified look from Mrs LightBeer)

"I could NEVER!"

"Well thats why your a SISSY BASKETBALL PLAYER!"

"So what do hockey Boys do?"

"You get undressed, walk from your bag to the shower, in nothing bud sandals, shoot the shit with 3 or 4o guys along the way, shower, walk back to your bag, dry off, get dressed, and leave."

(Deer in the headlights look from Mrs LightBeer)

I think thats what a real manly hockey player should do.

I consider myself to be one, first, i never use bandaids, only hockey tape, i love working with my hands (projects, housework, Mrs LightBeer ;) ) I own one pair of khakis, and all the rest are jeans, mostly with holes and stains. All tshirts, one or two dress shirts. I can open a bottle of beer with a claw hammer. Plus the whole fireman thing, the chicks really dig it.

I do act like a kid sometimes and can actually dress.  That takes points away.

I dont think there's a problem with being able to dress. But when you can pick out the difference between a pair of prada or gucci loafers, you've something to worry about. Case in point, mrs. dgaronzik (thats just for you brian) has a guy friend that knows more about clothes then she does. He's single.

I think MSN had a test or something for this. Surely someone does because I bet I'm somewhere in the Reggie Mantle range.

I would like to see one of you guys last a fishing trip with me.

If it involves not showering at all, Im well ahead of you. I once drove from my house up to VT for a race, slept in my truck that night, woke up and practiced and hung out with my friends, slept again in my truck, woke up raced and then drove home. All the while not showering and not cleaning any cuts.

Case in point, mrs. dgaronzik (thats just for you brian) has a guy friend that knows more about clothes then she does. He's single.

I hope it's not me.

I am presonally a metrosexual, I like to be well dressed have good maners be romantic and stuff. But I am not to the point of putting on guy makeup before going out or going to diner. I think it's just that girls like guy's with good maners and well dressed and that makes us look more professional, that's the main reason why I dressed well (Gap, American Eagle and stores like that) and behave well.

I do act like a kid sometimes and can actually dress.  That takes points away.

I dont think there's a problem with being able to dress. But when you can pick out the difference between a pair of prada or gucci loafers, you've something to worry about.

I agree with that statement, but i also agree that ppl have the right to blow their money anyway they want to. Just because you pay for a oil change or small repairs doesn't constitute a "metro". I live in a place where snow covers the ground 9 months of the year, so i can't change my oil during the winter. But during the "summer" I make small repairs, like a tune up and what-not. Which by the way is a pain in the ass if you have a Sable, you have to take off the whole damn intake manifold.

The point is, that ppl shouldn't classify others just because they pay to get their cars fixed or because they shop at Abercrombie or American Eagle.

Damn, how'd EB become linked to metros? I'd go with structure and US Male or whatever that 'mo store is. It's also a lot of how you style it together. A neckerchief or an ascot is a dead giveaway.

Abercrombie, Eagle and Gap aren't metro. That's more trend than high fashion. I'll be the first to admit I have a couple of nice suits in my closet and I have no idea what name is one them. They look great and feel great, I couldn't care less what name is on them.

I've also helped my Grandfather rebuild his house after it was flooded and even put a roof on it for him. I've built decks and have poked around a bit under the hood of my car with some success.

All in all, I'm the type of guy who can fit in to any situation.

How is JCrew metro? They have designer camping clothes, but it's still camping stuff.

I wear Banana Republic stuff, but that's mainly for work. I'm more of a t-shirt and jeans type of guy.

I dont consider abercrombie, AE or Eddie Bauer Metro. And I have a hard time leaving out Jcrew from that mix. For the most part the clothes from there are nice but not over the top expensive. Im talking designer labels, prada, gucci, Dolce, et all. The stuff you really cant go into any mall and buy.

Im not knocking people who like to dress nice, I dont think thats the definition of Metro, just a part. But if you dress nice, know all the labels, have more in the medicine cabinet then the little lady, you're well on your way.

I like Banana Republic because their stuff fits better and isn't too stuffy. It's the GAP corp's Lexus to the Old Navy's Toyota, that's how I see it.