Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009-2010 Washington Capitals Thread

Couple of days from opening night, time to get the Caps thread back in action (I could have sworn I made one already, but I may be going mental)

The caps have essentially cut down to their opening night roster. Boudreau said he thinks the Nylander situation will be resolved by today. There are still 3 goalies up but Neuvirth is injured so will get treatment and likely be returned to Hershey.

This is the team left in Washington as of this morning. There are 26 remaining, but both Flash and Fehr are injured (although Fehr is taking full practice, and Boudreau said he will play in about 2 weeks). I believe, but I am not positive, that Flash will start the season on IR, possibly even LTIR. He has DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) which is believed to have been caused by swelling from a blocked puck in Game 7 against the Pens, then flying back home to the Czech Republic. But he is out, so that makes the roster 25, as I mentioned, Neuvirth will be going to Hershey after treatment, making it 24, and we are waiting on Nylander news today, which would put the roster to 23, which is where it needs to be by 3.30pm tomorrow.

F B. Gordon

F Backstrom

F Bourque

F Bradley

F Clark

F Fehr

F Flash

F Knuble

F Laich

F Laing

F Morrison

F Nylander

F Ovechkin

F Semin

F Steckel

D Erskine

D Green

D Jurcina

D Morrisonn

D Pothier

D Poti

D Schultz

D Sloan

G Neuvirth

G Theodore

G Varlamov

Couple of notes.....

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalsi...-cuts.html#more

Making the Cuts...(it's a longish entry, but worth reading, here are a couple of highlights)

On choosing Bourque over Giroux:

"We were looking for a fourth line energy guy and he just, I thought, played better than Alex. ... For Alex Giroux to come in, he would have had to have a great camp and he would have been here. But I didn't think his camp was as good as these guys."

On Sloan over Alzner:

"Tyler Sloan was our best defenseman in camp, so what kind of reward or justice would that have been to send him down today. We had nine, and it was really hard to send Karl down, because he played really well, too. At this stage, he was the easiest guy to send down. As reasonings go, and this is what I told Karl, sometimes the salary cap hurts you, sometimes it helps you. And in this case, it hurt us."

On Quintin Laing:

"I think for Quintin, it was just we don't have that element and as a fourth line left winger that can play in defensive situations, or third line the first couple weeks of the season. We thought he was the perfect guy to have on our checking line. Everybody likes him on the team and he's committed to working hard in practice everyday as hard as he works in the game."

From a personal standpoint, I'm delighted to see Laing on the opening night roster. If you have never seen or heard of him before, he is a scrappy 3rd/4th line guy who is a shot blocking machine. There is absolutely no off button when he is on the ice, he will never quit and will take on anyone to defend his teammates (but he is not a fighter).

Great in the locker room, liked by the guys.

He is a real battler. Last season against Tampa, he tore his spleen in three places in his first shift and finished the game (15 shifts).

"I didn't say anything because it was my first game getting called up," Laing recalled this week at Kettler Capitals Iceplex, where he's battling to earn a spot on Washington's opening night roster. "I didn't want to whine or anything like that."

After spending four days in the intensive care unit, Laing returned to the Capitals' American Hockey League affiliate in Hershey, Pa., facing three to four months of recovery. Doctors told him not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk and to not even think about returning to the rink until July.

Three to four months, however, ended up being eight weeks. Laing rejoined the Bears' lineup in late May and helped Hershey secure a berth in the Calder Cup final, which the Bears captured in six games over Manitoba.

"It was the best feeling of my hockey career," he said of winning his first AHL title. "It made my decision to come back worth it."

"You just watch Quint play and you become a fan of his," Boudreau said. "It's hard not to be."

And what makes me a fan of his....

Laing wasn't supposed to come back so soon. In fact, several people close to him urged him not to, but he didn't listen.

"If I'm healthy, I'm going to try to play," he said. "That's what I do: I play hockey."

The goalies will not see as many shots thanks to him, the PK will be a little better.

Anyway, my guess at the lines given the listing up above and the injuries...

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble

Semin - Morisson - Clark

Bourque - Steckel - Laich

Laing- Gordon - Bradley

Poti - Schultz

Green - Pothier

Erskine - Morisson

Juice - Sloan

(I have no idea what the D will look like, but as Erskine just signed a 2 year deal, I put him ahead of Juice, and Sloan I don't know, I would put him in ahead of Schultz, but Boudreau likes Sarge, so who am I to judge)

If Nylander signs in Europe or the KHL... what does that does for the Capitals Cap space? I don't like the idea of Alzner in the AHL. I don't think he's going to develop any further down there, other than establish chemistry with Carlson perhaps. They need to work something out so that he's on our blue-line full time this year.

If Nylander signs in Europe or the KHL... what does that does for the Capitals Cap space? I don't like the idea of Alzner in the AHL. I don't think he's going to develop any further down there, other than establish chemistry with Carlson perhaps. They need to work something out so that he's on our blue-line full time this year.

It would free up $4.875 million cap space.

Some breaking news, the caps have put Chris Bourque on waivers

Just talked to general manager George McPhee, and he confirmed that Chris Bourque was put on waivers at noon today.

McPhee said the reason is the Caps needed a roster spot / salary cap space in case any player who was put on waivers from another team was someone they wanted to claim.

If the Caps don't see anyone they like more than Bourque and he clears waivers at noon on Wednesday, he will remain with the team and travel to Boston on Thursday.

And if Bourque is claimed by another team, the Caps will of course lose him for nothing.

McPhee said there was a good chance this was going to an issue in a couple of weeks anyway (when Eric Fehr and/or Thomas Fleischmann return from injury).

The Caps certainly don't want to lose Bourque, but as McPhee indicated, this roster squeeze was inevitable.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/in-...ourque-waivers/

And now the pens pick Bourque off waivers, his salary was $577K. Instead of playing Nylander tomorrow, the Caps instead are recalling Boyd Kane, who's salary is $500K. Which means the caps were $77K over the cap, and Bourque is gone for nothing because if it. What the &*%$

I like Bourque, I like that he was finally getting a shot and I think it was shitty the way the caps handled this.

And now to see him as a Pen, I can't even root for his success!!! :wacko:

Yea, that wasn't handled very well by the caps. On another note, Im looking forward to Knuble on the first line, he reminds me of a less energetic/talented ovechkin, just his gritty style.

Yea, that wasn't handled very well by the caps. On another note, Im looking forward to Knuble on the first line, he reminds me of a less energetic/talented ovechkin, just his gritty style.

Knuble is on the second line tonight, but I'm sure he will see time with the top line if need be. Also, it looks like Schultz and Sloan are healthy scratches (schultz being scratched makes me a happy camper)

Here are the predicted lines for the caps based on this mornings skate in Boston

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin

Laich-Morrison-Knuble

Laing-Steckel-Clark

Kane-Gordon-Bradley

Morrisonn-Green

Poti-Jurcina

Erskine-Pothier

Jose Threeormore (forgot, it's a contract year) Theodore will start

I like the 2nd line a lot. Hardworking, gritty line. Laich can learn a lot from Knuble.

Any time Laich gets a chance he has done well. I think if he gets a legitimate shot as a 2nd liner 30 goals would not be out of the ordinary. He can finish, he fights for pucks and is a good all around player. And he has one of the best quotes of all time.

"If you want money, go to a bank. If you want bread, go to a bakery. If you want goals.... go to the net"

Awesome

kind of upset about chris bourque... and then him going to the pens? grr.

oh well, the caps have decent depth from Washington through Hershey down to SC.

I can only imagine what this team could be with a guy like Pronger on the blue line, or even a couple of legitimate top four NHL defensemen. Green is great offensively bit is not good enough in his own end to be a true #1 and there isn't another top four guy on the blue line.

kind of upset about chris bourque... and then him going to the pens? grr.

Who would you take out of the current lineup in order to make room for him? I just don't see where he could fit.

I can only imagine what this team could be with a guy like Pronger on the blue line, or even a couple of legitimate top four NHL defensemen. Green is great offensively bit is not good enough in his own end to be a true #1 and there isn't another top four guy on the blue line.

I would like to see the caps with a big Pronger type D to lead the wayfpr Green. Kind of like a Scott Stevens for Scott Niedermeyer.

Tonight's game against the Flyers is sure to be hella good. Here's the lineups for tonight.

Washington Capitals

Forwards

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin

Laich-Morrison-Knuble

Laing-Steckel-Clark

Kane-Gordon-Bradley

Extras: Nylander, Fehr(injured),Fleischmann(injured)

Fehr should be good to go by Tuesday, but they will prob send him to Hershey for a few games first.

Defense

Morrisonn-Green

Poti-Erskine

Schultz-Jurcina

Extras: Pothier-Sloan

Unfortunatly, Schultz in back in the lineup for the Caps. Lets hope he's either amazing or horrendous.

Goaltenders

1. Varlamov

2. Theodore

Philadelphia Flyers

Forwards

Hartnell-Carter-Briere

Gagne-Richeards-Pyrola

JVR-Giroux-Powe

Carcillo-Betts-Laperierre

Defense

Pronger-Carle

Timmonen-Coburn

Parent-Syvret

Goaltenders

1. Emery

2. Boucher

Varly getting his second start in a row. Boudreau says he wants to test him in front of a hostile Philly crowd (this being their home opener)

Brian Pothier has played solid in his first two games. Why would you take him out of the game to play Jeff the freaking traffic cone Schultz.

It'll be interesting to see how the Caps play against the Flyers. I think Carcillo and Pronger by themselves are meaner than the whole Caps organization. I'm still not entirely convinced, as much as I want to be, that the Caps are solid Cup contenders. When you look at the roster, it's kind of a rag-tag combination of players. They played well together the first 2 games, but Boston played terrible and they gave up 4 goals against Toronto of all teams. Philly's offense on the other hand has a lot of horsepower. Gagne, Richards, Carter, Briere, and even Hartnell. Caps defense isn't very convincing either, but atleast Schultz is on the 3rd pairing... I think the team is going to have to rely on getting 4 goals a game to compete for a top spot in the conference. Tonight will be a good test I think.

It'll be interesting to see how the Caps play against the Flyers. I think Carcillo and Pronger by themselves are meaner than the whole Caps organization. I'm still not entirely convinced, as much as I want to be, that the Caps are solid Cup contenders. When you look at the roster, it's kind of a rag-tag combination of players. They played well together the first 2 games, but Boston played terrible and they gave up 4 goals against Toronto of all teams. Philly's offense on the other hand has a lot of horsepower. Gagne, Richards, Carter, Briere, and even Hartnell. Caps defense isn't very convincing either, but atleast Schultz is on the 3rd pairing... I think the team is going to have to rely on getting 4 goals a game to compete for a top spot in the conference. Tonight will be a good test I think.

The D is the biggest question. Theo has traditionally played well in his contract year (03/04 - 2.27 GAA 0.919%, 33 wins, 07/08 - 2.44 GAA, 0.910 %, 28 wins). Varlamov has been good both in the few regular season games last year and under pressure in the playoffs this year.

Up front, you have 50 goals with Ovechkin, 25 with Backstrom, potentially 40 with Semin, another 35 with Knuble, Morisson is off to a good start, Laich looks to be good for anywhere from 20-35 this year. You have solid defense from the forwards (Checking lines with Laing, Bradley, Steckel, Gordon, Clark etc have been good on the PK and good in the faceoff circle).

It's the defense

Green is good offensively, but makes mistakes in his own end, one cancels out the other

Poti has become dependable but unspectacular, a good #3/4 guy

Pothier seems to be back to his better game, which is again a #4/5 guy

The rest are 5/6/7 D men with Juice/Erskine/Mo/Schultz/Sloan

If they make a trade between now and the end of the trade season, they might be more formidable. At the minute, they can beat anyone on any given night, but in a 7 game series, they can be tested.

I still think they CAN win it all this year, I just wouldn't put money on it yet

Can anyone explain to me who and how this Clark guy is the captain.

Are you serious or really asking?

Clark played with the Flames, got to game 7 in the finals with them against the Lightning. Came over to the caps and played great his first 2 years. Career high with Flames was 10 goals, put in 20 in his first year, 30 his second. He has been injured for most of the past 2 years, but is still a leader in the locker room. If you go to the caps post game video section on their website, there is an interview with Brooks Laich. He is asked about one day becoming captain and he immediately says "We have a captain. Chris Clark is our captain and he is a great leader. There should be no talk of captaincy while he is on the team" or somthing to that effect.

He took an ovechkin slapshot to the face 2 years ago, had to have his jaw rebuilt with cadaver. He is tough as nails.

The caps were down 4 - 0 to the Penguins either last season or the season before. Clark was injured. He went into the locker room between periods and gave the team a talking to. They came out and won 5-4. Just because he may not have been noticed in the last couple of seasons due to injury does not mean he should not be the captain*

*Disclaimer time. I'm a big Clark fan, and I hope to see him have a great year now that he is finally healthy. He is a great captain for this team. Keeps the pressure of Ovechkin, leads in practice, on the ice and off the ice, great work ethic, great guy.

What is the deal with Capital/Flyer games and god damn goaltending interference calls????

As a side, Coburn was undressed quite nicely by Semin. What a play.