Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Allsmokenopancake

2009-2010 Washington Capitals Thread

Y'know, I'm cool with having new fans and all and hey, if the Caps are bringing them, good stuff.... but.... 1:12... what the hell?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A9jTfdbaiU

Yeah, that guy sits up in the upper level and has little raver lights and stuff. Don't call his cape a cape though, he will go to great lengths to tell you it's a cloak, not a cape and that he got it from a medievil online store.

I've had issues with him in the past

Michael Nylander is officially off the books. He has accepted a loan to the Grand Rapid Griffins, and since he was already cleared waivers again, can be assigned there immediately

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=509767

The Washington Capitals have assigned center Michael Nylander to the Grand Rapids Griffins of the American Hockey League (AHL), vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.

Nylander, 37, has played 920 career NHL games for the Capitals, New York Rangers, Boston, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Calgary and Hartford. He has not played an NHL game this season. He spent two weeks in Grand Rapids on a conditioning stint beginning Oct. 21.

Michael Nylander is officially off the books. He has accepted a loan to the Grand Rapid Griffins, and since he was already cleared waivers again, can be assigned there immediately

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=509767

The Washington Capitals have assigned center Michael Nylander to the Grand Rapids Griffins of the American Hockey League (AHL), vice president and general manager George McPhee announced today.

Nylander, 37, has played 920 career NHL games for the Capitals, New York Rangers, Boston, Chicago, Tampa Bay, Calgary and Hartford. He has not played an NHL game this season. He spent two weeks in Grand Rapids on a conditioning stint beginning Oct. 21.

THANK GOD! Time for Alzner to be up here full time.

Capitals have traded Chris Clark and Milan Jurcina to Columbus for Jason Chimera

What the... does this even make sence? We traded our capitan, and (unfortunately) one of our better defensemen for a third or fourth line winger? :huh:

Capitals have traded Chris Clark and Milan Jurcina to Columbus for Jason Chimera

What the... does this even make sence? We traded our capitan, and (unfortunately) one of our better defensemen for a third or fourth line winger? :huh:

And cleared about $1M ($2.15 full year) salary for this year and more than $600k for next year

Bring on the Neids to Washington rumors. This team will make a big splash before the deadline. Guaranteed.

scott? hells yeah.

Also, they should have started neuvy tonight. he was doing well.

Kind of a surprising trade. I didn't picture them moving Clark with all the "he's our captain" talk. What's the over-under on how long before Ovie gets the C?

If this was just a salary dump, I'm surprised they didn't ask for any picks? I think Clark and Jurcina are worth a fair bit more than Chimera straight up. As far as Niedermayer goes, they already have him. His name's Mike Green. They need a Pronger to go alongside the Niedermayer.

As far as Niedermayer goes, they already have him. His name's Mike Green. They need a Pronger to go alongside the Niedermayer.

Or at least a Buekeboom to go with their Leetch. Carolina has a lot of UFAs and could really reshape their roster with some deals at, or before, the deadline. Corvo, Ward and Wallin could all be available for the blue line on some team. Kubina in Atlanta could be another major deadline move for someone.

Not exactly. Niedermayer knows "defence" is in the name of his position. Regardless, I agree that this trade doesn't make sense other than the cap clearing.

Since the SE is traditionally a crapshoot of a division, I don't think so. Also, there are good d-men in that division? I can think of a couple untouchables/prospects but not much else.

Well, Tampa is carrying what they consider to be 9 NHL caliber Defensmen. Carolina has a few geezers that have been around a minute too. Atlantas got some young talent they probably don't want to get rid of.

Since the SE is traditionally a crapshoot of a division, I don't think so. Also, there are good d-men in that division? I can think of a couple untouchables/prospects but not much else.

Atlanta have Kubina, Hainsey and Enstrom, the first two I wouldn't be that enthused about, they are good, but not what the caps need. I would take Enstrom in a heartbeat, but he falls under their untouchable category. Atlanta are also holding on to the 8 spot in the west, so are not likely to deal to the division.

Apart from that there is Ballard in Florida, but I don't see them trading him, I like his play though, Mezaros in Tampa, I wouldn't mind Gleason from the Canes but that's about it really. And again, not sure how many would deal within the division. All those players have some value so would be easy to get a decent return from outside

There are a few guys that are UFA at the end of the season that would make good deadline deals to improve the roster, if the price is right. I don't see them making a trade for a significant player with a number of years left on his contract. They just won't have the cap space to do that. The bigger issue is if Washington would be willing to give up picks or players that they will have to see a bunch of times a year.

There are a few guys that are UFA at the end of the season that would make good deadline deals to improve the roster, if the price is right. I don't see them making a trade for a significant player with a number of years left on his contract. They just won't have the cap space to do that. The bigger issue is if Washington would be willing to give up picks or players that they will have to see a bunch of times a year.

I don't think the Caps would mind giving up draft picks. Their system was so overflown they had to put Neuvirth in the ECHL for a while because they just didn't have the room. Him, Carlson, Osala, Johansson, Perreault, Gustafsson... they have prospects. I wouldn't mind this year's 1st and 2nd picks go to someone else so long as the caps get back an elite NHL defencemen.

Niedermayer would certainly fill the "elite" requirement but I don't think he's worth any draft picks for how long they'd have him.

That's the thing with Niedermayer. Didn't he debate retiring before this season started? I couldn't picture them giving up a bunch to get Niedermayer, when he likely won't return next year.

As far as SE division d-men, I can't think of anybody available off the top of my head that I'd really gush over. I kind of like Enstrom too, but he's pretty offensively oriented from what I've seen. I guess it depends on exactly what the Caps management/coaches want. I'm sure there's plenty of solid defensive 2nd pairing guys available, but that's pretty much what their defensive group is made up of. 2nd and 3rd pairing guys. I doubt they'd be available, but do you think they could score a guy like Shea Weber or Robyn Regehr without giving up the whole team? Although I'm probably answering my own question. If they're not available, they'd have to give up a lot to make them available.

That's the thing with Niedermayer. Didn't he debate retiring before this season started? I couldn't picture them giving up a bunch to get Niedermayer, when he likely won't return next year.

As far as SE division d-men, I can't think of anybody available off the top of my head that I'd really gush over. I kind of like Enstrom too, but he's pretty offensively oriented from what I've seen. I guess it depends on exactly what the Caps management/coaches want. I'm sure there's plenty of solid defensive 2nd pairing guys available, but that's pretty much what their defensive group is made up of. 2nd and 3rd pairing guys. I doubt they'd be available, but do you think they could score a guy like Shea Weber or Robyn Regehr without giving up the whole team? Although I'm probably answering my own question. If they're not available, they'd have to give up a lot to make them available.

Guys like Ward, Wallin or Kubina would be improvements for a playoff run. They aren't going to get a number one guy, they can't afford it. The can afford a short term rental player that is a much more solid number two or three that allows the other guys to get slotted more to their talent levels. Either way, this makes more room for guys like Alzner and Carlson over the short term.

Guys like Ward, Wallin or Kubina would be improvements for a playoff run. They aren't going to get a number one guy, they can't afford it. The can afford a short term rental player that is a much more solid number two or three that allows the other guys to get slotted more to their talent levels. Either way, this makes more room for guys like Alzner and Carlson over the short term.

I agree that Kubina would be good for a playoff run, but the $5 mil hit beyond this season is what has me saying no when the likes of Backstrom, Flash and Fehr have to get under contract. Flash is only making $700 this season, I can see that being tripled if he goes over 20 goals with him getting 19 last season.

Semin just signed a 1 year deal that bumps his salary up to $6 mil next year.

Ward is a much more managable cap hit but he still has a year left to go. I think next year it will be Green, Poti, Mo, Alzner, Erskine and Schultz as the top 6, with Erskine being the odd man out to get CArlson some seasoning, so I don't think they want to carry 8 or 9 d-men like they are doing this year

I agree that Kubina would be good for a playoff run, but the $5 mil hit beyond this season is what has me saying no when the likes of Backstrom, Flash and Fehr have to get under contract. Flash is only making $700 this season, I can see that being tripled if he goes over 20 goals with him getting 19 last season.

Semin just signed a 1 year deal that bumps his salary up to $6 mil next year.

Ward is a much more managable cap hit but he still has a year left to go. I think next year it will be Green, Poti, Mo, Alzner, Erskine and Schultz as the top 6, with Erskine being the odd man out to get CArlson some seasoning, so I don't think they want to carry 8 or 9 d-men like they are doing this year

NHLnumbers.com shows Kubina as UFA at the end of this season, same for Ward. Again, I'm not saying that they will, simply that they could. My honest guess is that they over-value the guys they have on the blue line and will not make a significant change.

My honest guess is that they over-value the guys they have on the blue line and will not make a significant change.

Ain't that the fucking story of the caps for 10 years. Always always always over value their D.

They replaced Kolzig, brought in Fedorov, but had signed a couple of fairly average D men in Pothier and Poti, said they were top pair D-men and didn't look to address it much further.

Not to mention the fact that experience begets experience.

That's why Tampa brought in Ohlund, to help Hedman.

And the caps bring in Poti

I agree with you 100% here, it's the most frustrating part about being a caps fan. Just that one D-man away from balance.

You get a top pair guy, then you have him and green taking up 25-30 minutes a night, leaving 30-35 to the other guys. Manage their minutes and get more out of them. Don't make the top guys because you have not got a top guy

Wait, the Caps D isn't good enough? Where have I heard that before? :dry: They need a Regher type of guy and they are sorely lacking it.

Kind of fun to watch Ovechkin and the Sharks D go at it last night. Interesting which guy he chose to challenge and which he didn't. Great wrister late in the third.