Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slacker76

Penguins 2009-2010

He's only 22. He was very good in the playoffs last year and has been playing well lately this season. I kinda feel like he's on the brink of developing into a really decent scoring defensemen or a more physical but good skating player. He's got a little bit of everything IMO.

Malkin and Gonchar out again tonight versus Tampa Bay...anyone feel like they're a little worse off than the team is letting on? Malkin with his foot especially..doesnt it seem like its been along time for a bruised foot?

also

The newly-signed defender was asked if he took any sort of “discount” to remain in Pittsburgh.

“I want to be part of this team. I think it’s something special,” Letang said. “If you put the money aside, you always want to be in a town where you want to play, where every night you want to play. I think I’d rather stay here and have fun. We’re like a family now. We’re all young and growing together.”

With Letang now locked up for four more years, all eyes turn to Sergei Gonchar, who is in the last year of his deal and will become an unrestricted free agent after the season.

“This doesn’t affect Sergei at all,” Shero said. “This was part of our plan, to sign Kris Letang. I’m hoping we can have Sergei back. Hopefully after the season we can continue those discussions as well. Gonchar has been a fantastic player here for five years and hopefully we can have him for more.”

Malkin and Gonchar out again tonight versus Tampa Bay...anyone feel like they're a little worse off than the team is letting on? Malkin with his foot especially..doesnt it seem like its been along time for a bruised foot?

Didn't Malkin have issues with his foot in the past?

Malkin could have a broken foot and the Pens org is keeping it quiet.

also

I guess not.. maybe though. At any rate Malkin said today that he hopes this is the last game he'll miss and he wants to return Saturday against Atlanta... Gonchar has strep throat and hopes to return Satrday as well. Either way Bob Errey says they'll both be ready by playofs.

Do the announcers know that they were doing a National broadcast? I can understand them being homers when its a local thing, every teams announcers are to some extent. But in the third peroid the ONLY thing I heard is how Tampa is playing a trap. There's no room for the penguins, look at the trap, all these white jerseys, trap, trap, trap. I put it on mute because I couldn't stand it. Tampa is up 2-0 against the defending Cup champs, what do you expect them to do? Have three forcheckers??? jeeze. Sorry for the rant, but I couldn't stand that guy.

Do the announcers know that they were doing a National broadcast? I can understand them being homers when its a local thing, every teams announcers are to some extent. But in the third peroid the ONLY thing I heard is how Tampa is playing a trap. There's no room for the penguins, look at the trap, all these white jerseys, trap, trap, trap. I put it on mute because I couldn't stand it. Tampa is up 2-0 against the defending Cup champs, what do you expect them to do? Have three forcheckers??? jeeze. Sorry for the rant, but I couldn't stand that guy.

I thought it was funny how they were coming up with ways that Tampa was actually in trouble despite being ahead all game long. "If the Pens get one here, they will have momentum and ...." All of that despite the fact that the Pens couldn't get momentum to build from one shift to the next.

The Penguins announcers are always like that. I'm not just being biased because I don't like the Penguins, but they are the worst announcers I've ever heard. Total homers, and that one guy saying "Steggy" all the time makes me want to rip my ears off. When the Penguins home broadcast is the only one I can get on center ice, I leave it on mute.

The Penguins announcers are always like that. I'm not just being biased because I don't like the Penguins, but they are the worst announcers I've ever heard. Total homers, and that one guy saying "Steggy" all the time makes me want to rip my ears off. When the Penguins home broadcast is the only one I can get on center ice, I leave it on mute.

Try having to listen to him all the time. I find it hard to believe that a guy who has been in the booth for as long as Steigerwald knows so little about hockey. He'll pick up on a catch phrase, such as Bylsma's use of "zone time" or something like that, and that's all you'll hear about. He really doesn't know what he's talking about. When he did color for Lange he would say something stupid, it would be followed by a second of silence and then Lange would completely ignore him and go on to something else.

I think people make too much of people praising Sid, but Steigy has a crazy man-crush on him. "Did you see Sid hop over the wall on that line change?!?!!?!?!?! Amazing athletic ability!!!!"

Errey is a homer to an extent, but he's supposed to be, and often will directly contradict what Steigy says. He is also as forthcoming in his praise of opponents as he is of Penguins.

A beautiful FSN-Pitt broadcast would be:

Color: Mike Lange

Analysts: Phil Bourque and Bob Errey b/w the benches or with a role like Al Morganti on ESPN Hockey Night

While it would be nice not having any of them do play by play, that crew might be the worst announcing crew ever assembled.

While it would be nice not having any of them do play by play, that crew might be the worst announcing crew ever assembled.

Not a fan of the Langeisms? It might be the worst, but that's who we have to work with. Steigy annoys the hell out of me and I've met and talked with both Errey and Bourque when the Pens practiced at the Thrashers facility last year and they weren't too bad.

BRING MIKE BACK TO TV!!!

Also, even though the game was broadcast nationally last night, they didn't show local pittsburgh commercials so I'm assuming the announcers didn't worry about there homer bias because to them it was just a regular broadcast.

Not a fan of the Langeisms? It might be the worst, but that's who we have to work with. Steigy annoys the hell out of me and I've met and talked with both Errey and Bourque when the Pens practiced at the Thrashers facility last year and they weren't too bad.

Pittsburgh is the only market where guys like Lange and Myron Cope would ever be considered iconic broadcasters. In any other market, they would have been unemployed.

While I'm not a big fan of Steigerwald or Errey, I love Mike Lange. Comparing him to Cope is difficult because you comparing Play by Play to Color. Two different job descriptions there. Whether you like them or not, I find it tough to believe anyone can be thought of as worse or more "Homer-ish" than Jack Edwards for the Bruins.

He is unbelievably bad.

Pittsburgh is the only market where guys like Lange and Myron Cope would ever be considered iconic broadcasters. In any other market, they would have been unemployed.

Nonsense. First of all they are two completely different personalities. Cope had the style a craziness but was considered one of the most knowledgeable sources for the 70s era of football. When he passed there was a line of national talents waiting to sing his praises. Lange, even without his catchphrases, was a great announcer. I think he's lost a bit (and that's why they moved him), but he's still good. The way he describes a play, what he doesn't say (on TV especially), his handling of a simulcast, all first rate. Compare that to Steigy when he took over who tried to call every pass, every touch of the puck, it's night and day.

Unemployed? Most of the ESPN guys including Chris Bermann shouldn't have jobs. Skip Bayless, Madden, Tim McCarver, Vitale, Bill Walton, they all suck but still have jobs.

I remember listening to Lange argue with a regular succession of partners over the years. He's much better on radio where you can't see his play calling is often inaccurate and misleading.

You don't keep employment in the industry for over 25 years nor do you get into the Hall of Fame if a majority of people think your no good at what you do.

Side note...Myron Cope has an asteroid haha.

You don't keep employment in the industry for over 25 years nor do you get into the Hall of Fame if a majority of people think your no good at what you do.

The Hockey Hall of Fame has more guys that don't belong than every other major sport combined.

It doesn't have to be a majority of the people, just the right group of people. Plus, some folks get in just because they've been lucky enough to stay around the game long enough, regardless of talent at what they do.