Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2009-2010 Suspension Thread

All I am saying is the NHL needs a firm policy on what a suspension is. I believe it a suspension should be for malicious or intential hits. Ie bertuzzi, chris Simon, etc.

/quote]

You don't believe a player should be suspended for reckless play that results in the injury of the opposition, what if Ovie broke Campbell's neck?

Injury has to play a role in the suspension, is Bertuzzi gone for a year if Moore gets up and skates away?

Everyone on here agrees the NHL/Colin Campbell's consistency is out the window, the guy has a tough job, but he does it poorly.

Everyone keeps mentioning the Cooke hit, but the hit of question this year is the Richards hit. Would you not agree if Richards is suspended for 5+, Cooke gets 5+ and then would we all be satisfied with Ovy getting at least 2, I am both ways.

Fairness across the league is important, but for a second, forget the other suspensions and non suspensions, what Ovie did was reckless, dangerous and he should be punished, I can't believe some don't agree.

But is just Bettman, making sure Crosby wins the Richard and Sedin wins the Art Ross, & keep the Caps from the Presidents trophy, and it all leads the Pens back to the CUP, the guy is diabolical.

From the Washington Capitals, the statement Alex Ovechkin issued on his two-game suspension for his hit on Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell: "I am very sorry that Brian was injured and I hope he is able to return to his team soon. NHL hockey is a physical game. We all play hard every time we are on the ice and have battles each shift in every game we play so we can do our jobs and win. As players we must accept responsibility for our actions and I am no different but I did not intend to injure Brian and that is why I was disappointed with the NHL's decision yesterday. Every time I have the honor to play for my team, I will continue to do what I have done since I was taught to play. I will play hard, play with passion and play with respect for my teammates, opponents and fans. I look forward to returning to my team and doing everything I can to be the best player I can be."

23.5 Fines and Suspensions - Stick Infractions, Boarding and Checking from Behind Category - In regular League games, any player or goalkeeper who incurs a total of two (2) game misconduct penalties for stick-related infractions, Boarding - Rule 42, or Checking from Behind - Rule 44, shall be suspended automatically for the next League game of his team. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty, the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game.

Brian Campbell is out until Late April or Early May.. He's now ended one guys career and another guys season.

why do people continue to spew the same false information even after it has been proved wrong?

that rule only applies if the two game misconducts were within 41 games of each other. ovechkin's last game misconduct was 42 games ago.

i dont disagree with the suspension. i think it could have been lengthier...but only to be a deterrent for ovechkin to ease up a bit. hes not a dirty player. he is just reckless. very reckless.

dirty would imply that the player is intentionally on a mission to injure or physically harm another player (ie, cooke or downie). ovechkin's only mission is to perform everything he can at 100% intensity.

he just needs to learn that it is not necessary to seek the highlight reel play EVERY time hes on the ice.

If the result of the action is an injury to the opponent, does it really make a difference whether the offender is reckless or dirty? At the end of the day, the result is the same.

I concede after doing more research that you are correct concerning the 41 games limit. However, it also mentions that they are kept on historical record, so overall, he still got 2 games because it was a board and he has a history of doing this. Also, lets not make Ovechkin out to be a saint because he went 42 games without plastering someone from behind.

Finally, I wouldnt say Ovechkin has earned the dirty rep yet to most people, but he's well on his way. Call him reckless, call him 'just playing his game', call it him giving 100%, whatever you want to call it, he still keeps finding himself in the position of being suspended, or involved in a borderline play. I see alot of people calling Matt Cooke dirty because of his history of bad hits and questionable/borderline play, but I also see Ovechkin involved in alot of this kinda stuff already too yet noone wants to lump him into the dirty category. I'm not trying to defend Cooke, nor accuse Ovechkin of anything, but I am starting to think the pot is calling the kettle black in some instances.

Don Cherry had an interesting stat on his Radio Show today.

Chris Simon has 55 games due tosuspensions in his career. His "victims" (Cherry's word) have missed: 0 games, 0 periods and only 1 shift as a result of Simons actions.

Now, I'm not saying (and I don't think Don was either) that it makes the things he has done RIGHT, but just a curious fact when you consider the major injuries that have come from incidents that have recieved very minor suspensions.

Just sharing an intersting hockey tidbit with the MSH masses.

If Ovechkin's goal is to seek the highlight reel with the hits like the one he made on Campbell, then I'd say that would classify him as a dirty player. I don't however see him this way, but just like cooke and downie he throws head shots, knees, checks from behind, and slew foots opponents. For now he's reckless, but like others have said how much longer until he is nothing more than dirty?

He needs to stick to making hits like the one on Jagr.

which is why I specifically referred to 3 plays that were guys from behind into the boards that happen frequently and in this case celebrated as hits of the week.

difference is no injuries occurred.

again I am not saying ovechkin should get away with anything. I feel the 5 and misconduct were enough punishment

We're not talking about Campbell getting popped cutting through the middle or smoked while admiring a pass, here. Or even being stood-up and ridden (Rode? Roden? lol) into the end boards by a forechecker. He was THROWN (arms extended)....FROM BEHIND....INTO THE BOARDS (at a ridiculously dangerous distance).....AT FULL SPEED.

I'm all for punishing a guy who puts himself in a position to be hit (a "vulnerable position"), but this wasn't one of those positions (Ovechkin was staring at Campbell's back all the way from center) and what Ovechkin did can't be classified as any sort of hit.

You're trying to draw a straight line between body-on-body hits along the boards and what Alex did to Brian? I can see there is no helping you.

I haven't read through this entire thread about the Oveckin hit...so I'm sorry if this is already been mentioned.

TSN (McKenzie & Dreger) broke it down this way. I may be paraphrasing slightly: If Ovechkin takes 1 or 2 more strides to come even with Campbell closer to the boards and then hits him shoulder on shoulder, it's a "hockey play" and any injury is an unfortuatre result of a clean hockey play. Ovechkin chose to be lazy and shoves him...which is where the danger comes into it, leads to the injury and the suspension.

Messier played in a league where PLAYERS policed themselves, not the refs/or disciplinarian. Big difference in today's NHL.

Were people up in arms this much when Messier played? Serious question.

which is why I specifically referred to 3 plays that were guys from behind into the boards that happen frequently and in this case celebrated as hits of the week.

difference is no injuries occurred.

again I am not saying ovechkin should get away with anything. I feel the 5 and misconduct were enough punishment

The plays I saw on the hits of the week were different (and there were only 2). In one case the hit took place in open ice and they both slid into the boards, in the other the play was close enough that the player's upper body hit in a way that wasn't dangerous.

There is a line that you have to cross for boarding, those hits didn't cross it. Don't point to something that isn't the same and claim they are.

Were people up in arms this much when Messier played? Serious question.

We didn't have the internet then. We had to wait for Gore to invent it.

The plays I saw on the hits of the week were different (and there were only 2). In one case the hit took place in open ice and they both slid into the boards, in the other the play was close enough that the player's upper body hit in a way that wasn't dangerous.

There is a line that you have to cross for boarding, those hits didn't cross it. Don't point to something that isn't the same and claim they are.

We didn't have the internet then. We had to wait for Gore to invent it.

huh? Tim Berners-Lee invented the internet...

And good job NHL for thrusting this new rule into place with about 12-15 games left in the season. I bet it get's called once or twice, and not once in the playoffs. This is just going to throw a lot of players off they're game. The season is almost over. Put the rule in next season when your refs have had time to look it over.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=521669

Honestly? Think of how many games are played, how often it happens, and how aware everyone is about head shots now in light of everything that has happend. I have a feeling it won't get called once, the NHL will pat themselves on the back, and starting next year we'll start to see it get called.

I disagree. I think because of the spotlight that has been placed on hits to the head that you will see it called quite a bit and a lot of times it will be marginal. Look at the parades we had when hooking and obstruction were the points of emphasis. It will take a little while for players to adapt and while you probably won't see more Richards/Booth type hits, you will still see contact to the head that gets called.

huh? Tim Berners-Lee invented the internet...

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet" - Al Gore

People say that Al Gore claimed to have invented the internet in light of the above quote.

QUOTE (Bruce Boudreau)

"He went to hit him and he hit him, but the hit didn't cause the damage. The boards caused the damage, in my mind. And I feel bad for [Campbell]."

Hmm, let's try this...

"He went to push him and he pushed him, but the push didn't cause the damage. It wasn't even the fall off the cliff that did it, it was the sudden stop at the end."

Boudreau is an idiot.

I was laughing at that last night, the boards did it, oh man, I was/am done with the Ovie suspension talk, but that was funny.

Non sequitor:

Every time I hear Don Cherry refer to "Bouce Boudreau," I keep expecting JR to leap out from behind the CBC backdrop and give Ron MacLean a noogie.

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet" - Al Gore

People say that Al Gore claimed to have invented the internet in light of the above quote.

and Tim Berners-Lee created WWW/HTTP/etc, not the internet. The internet was "created" by the DoD, various universities, corporations, and organizations (IEEE, IETF, ISO, EIA/TIA and so on)

hooray for being massively on topic.

James Wisniewski will probably be added to the list of suspended due to hits to the head. The blow he laid on Seabrook was plain old stupid!