Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nacho

Best Hockey Helmet

I'm interested in getting a new helmet. I have a bauer 5000 but it has cracked. Has anyone used the Itech HC 100 Pro? What helmets should I stay away from and what are some good options. Thanks in advance.

I wonder about all these recent topics by members who just joined MSH and ask questions like "What is the best helmet?" or "What is the best skate?" or "What are the best gloves?"

First off, in hockey equipment like in many other fields, there never is "the best", period. Why? Because the "quality" of a piece of hockey equipment is mainly determined by the fit, nothing else. All top-of-the-line helmets (Bauer, CCM, Itech etc) are more or less identical in terms of materials, production methods etc. The only thing that sets one apart from another is the fit (important) and the style (should not be important).

Now the question could be: what is the best FITTING helmet? The question itself is as dumb as a sheep. Why? Because it all depends on the shape of your head (yeah, a head has three dimensions so there are many many possible variants!) and on what you look for in a helmet (weight? comfort? protection?).

The same applies to skates, gloves etc... it's your hands/feet and your priorities who determine what's the best product, not the marketing machinery by the manufacturers nor some opinions on MSH.

The only way to determine the best helmet FOR YOU (as there is no "best helmet" in general), is to go to your LHS (=local hockey store, as you are new to MSH) and try them on, or ask your teammates if you can test theirs or whatever.

I had to go and buy a new helmet because I changed my team. I tried pritty much everything (including Itech 100, Bauer models, Jofa's 690) and I ended up with CCM 852... I was using 1052 before and liked it but 852 felt a bit better so I bought it... and it doesn't have the problems with front padding breaking (because of the visor/helmet/front padding in the same screw).

Have to say that yellow helmet looks really cool ;)

I wonder about all these recent topics by members who just joined MSH and ask questions like "What is the best helmet?" or "What is the best skate?" or "What are the best gloves?"

First off, in hockey equipment like in many other fields, there never is "the best", period. Why? Because the "quality" of a piece of hockey equipment is mainly determined by the fit, nothing else. All top-of-the-line helmets (Bauer, CCM, Itech etc) are more or less identical in terms of materials, production methods etc. The only thing that sets one apart from another is the fit (important) and the style (should not be important).

Now the question could be: what is the best FITTING helmet? The question itself is as dumb as a sheep. Why? Because it all depends on the shape of your head (yeah, a head has three dimensions so there are many many possible variants!) and on what you look for in a helmet (weight? comfort? protection?).

The same applies to skates, gloves etc... it's your hands/feet and your priorities who determine what's the best product, not the marketing machinery by the manufacturers nor some opinions on MSH.

The only way to determine the best helmet FOR YOU (as there is no "best helmet" in general), is to go to your LHS (=local hockey store, as you are new to MSH) and try them on, or ask your teammates if you can test theirs or whatever.

shark, i think hes asking what are some good and points about helmets. hes obviously looking for a durable one (his cracked). you brought up a very good point though, there is no "best helmet" we can give him pros and cons about our own helmets...........

anyway, my suggestion would be go for a mission carbster. offers great protection, and is comfortable. you can also find them cheap online and at lhs because they are discontinued. the only downside is that its not adjustable.

I recently picked up a Itech HC100 pro to replace an old CCM 500 helmet. I really like the "parabolic" design of the helmet. Good ventilation and light weight. It also looks smaller (CCM 500 make my head look too big). No major collisions yet so I can't comment on quality of protection. Hope this helps!!

I use a CCM HT1052 helmet, it's a great helmet and the memory foam inside is awesome, the most comfortable helmet i've ever worn. I must caution you though, the HT1052 is a top of the line helmet but you should only buy it if you've got a wide head.

I just picked up a Bauer 8000 and I love the fit, especially with the new side adjustments. I only have one knock on it, thats the floating chin cup it sometimes floats too far down and kinda chokes me a little bit. But other than that, I think the 8000 is an awesome helmet. I would highly recommend it

I ended up going with a Bauer 4000 because I liked the fact that it used the slightly softer foam versus the hard foam with pads and because it was a bit cheaper.

If I were you, I would consider a slightly cheaper helmet replaced every few years versus one that you spend lots of money on and hang on to for a long time.

Remember that you are supposed to change helmets ever few years versus hanging to one for 7+ years. This is because the foam breaks down over time and with the sweat/crap they absorb weakens the material. I know that this applies to all equipment, but I think a broken arm will heal...a broken head? I dunno.

I was also told that you shouldn't really buy older equipment because the materials break down with age, so last year's sale item isn't such a good dea afterall...of course, the guy at the hockey store told me this. :rolleyes:

A helmet is supposed to last at least through 3 years of use, having it sit on the shelf for a year isn't a major problem.

I have that hc 100 helmet and it hurts my head a little. i miss my bauer 4000. also, you might wannna look into them mission carbster helmets. everyone raves about em and they look very comfortable.

i got a bauer 5000 and love it, but i loved my old red ccm helmet. i can't remember the name of it, but it had the tan padding...same helmet as yzerman uses i believe, or at least looks the same

Nothing compares to the 8000 helmet in my opinion. Its got fit all around the helmet(3 of them), so it's going to be snug and comfortable. Venting is great, protection is great, overall it has the newest, most advanced technology and fit put into it; I reccomend it HIGHLY!

shark, i think hes asking what are some good and points about helmets. hes obviously looking for a durable one (his cracked). you brought up a very good point though, there is no "best helmet" we can give him pros and cons about our own helmets...........

anyway, my suggestion would be go for a mission carbster. offers great protection, and is comfortable. you can also find them cheap online and at lhs because they are discontinued. the only downside is that its not adjustable.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/miscarhochel.html

$40, but all they have left is Large - 7 1/2 and X-Large - 7 3/4 in Black and White.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/miscarhochel.html

$40, but all they have left is Large - 7 1/2 and X-Large - 7 3/4 in Black and White.

How hard can you shoot with that thing? lol

OK, other than the itech 100 and bauer 8000 I've used every major helmet out.

Like has been said about the top of the line CCMs if you have a wide head, that's your helmet.

Bauer 4000s I think are the best of every world. Price, protection, durability, and IMO they look pretty good.

The Jofa 690 is another really well put together helmet, very good ventilation, but of the two I've had one had a serious cracking problem.

Wider foreheads like mine will fit the Jofa helmets better than anything from Bauer, Itech, or CCM (not sure about the discontinued Carbster, but it's not adjustable) from my experience. I've owned both Bauer 5000 and CCM HT500 and they always pinched at the temples for me. If I tried lengthening them, there's a big space between the helmet foam and my forehead, can't be safe. I'm very happy with my Jofa 690. My only gripe is the plastic shell is thinner than on the Bauer or CCM buckets.

Don't mess around with anything that doesn't use EPP foam, it's a little more expensive, but worth it. If you're playing contact it wouldn't be a bad idea to look at the Bauer 8000 or it's CCM counterpart (1152?). But if you're just playing non-contact stuff the Bauer 5000, ITech HC 100 or CCM 1052 would be sufficient.