Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Nike/Bauer Sticks being recalled

I apologize JR, I tried replying to you via twitter earlier in class and it came out a jumbled mess. But, like espud, I wonder if the entire line of supreme sticks will be scrutinized.

When I was a kid I chewed on lead painted window sills...I think I turned out okay. Mostly. Well, kind of...

I wonder how much lighter those sticks would be if they weren't painting them with lead? ;)

That ONE50 was paint-heavy, as were all of them.

If I am not mistaken, they were primered as well - you'd see grey if chipped.

I'm going to the rink today, like I said, I'm pretty positive that my LHS still has those sticks.

JR I think this topic needs to be re-named to the Nike/Bauer 150 jr stick as to how it was printed in the hockey news. Now for people who shop at a source for sports retailer the one50 would be the elite model and select II

Does this affect the intermediate One50 sticks as well? I saw a small local store that had maybe 9-10 of these One50s in the int. size

Not good. I hope everyone understands that this was almost certainly a case of Bauer being misled or actually duped by an ill-informed or unscrupulous supplier than of conscientiously introducing a hazardous product into the marketplace. It is unthinkable that Bauer would have done so without misinformation (malicious or not) in play.

Not good. I hope everyone understands that this was almost certainly a case of Bauer being misled or actually duped by an ill-informed or unscrupulous supplier than of conscientiously introducing a hazardous product into the marketplace. It is unthinkable that Bauer would have done so without misinformation (malicious or not) in play.

Still, doesn't a fairly large company like Bauer have a responsibilty to ensure that it's products are safe (and legal) before they put them out in the marketplace, misled or not? To answer my own question one need not look any further than Toyota I guess.

JR I think this topic needs to be re-named to the Nike/Bauer 150 jr stick as to how it was printed in the hockey news. Now for people who shop at a source for sports retailer the one50 would be the elite model and select II

Pardon? Are you saying the One50 is an SMU? :huh:

Still, doesn't a fairly large company like Bauer have a responsibilty to ensure that it's products are safe (and legal) before they put them out in the marketplace, misled or not? To answer my own question one need not look any further than Toyota I guess.

They certainly are responsible; I would call their actions thus far eminently responsible.

My point was simply that Bauer wouldn't have entered into an agreement with a supplier to purchase products that were hazardous; in fact, I would speculate that the material conditions were quite clearly spelled out. It's a question of degree. If a company (like, say, WJD) knowingly counterfeits certification stickers, then applies them to masks, then sells them, that is miles worse than if Bauer enters into a supply agreement that says, "don't use lead paint, radioactive waste, endangered panda foetuses, etc. in your manufacturing," the supplier then does so (through poor QC, ignorance, or outright deceit), and Bauer is not informed until they happen to do a random test which discovers the problem, with the products subsequently pulled. One is extremely culpable; the other responsible in both the strict and laudatory senses.

Pardon? Are you saying the One50 is an SMU? :huh:

I think he's saying that there are repainted SMU versions of the One50 that may be subject to the same issue.

Okay, so you're saying it ISN'T a misprint and a SFS SMU?

Thanks for the clarification.

I thought lead paint was not permitted anymore?

It has some advantages, including faster drying, which is why some Chinese factories have used it even when they know damn well they're not supposed to. Hardly a new issue. Hardly something Bauer asked for.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say 85% of recalls due to lead based paints on worldwide products are Chinese in origin.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say 85% of recalls due to lead based paints on worldwide products are Chinese in origin.

I would be surprised if it was that little, considering just how lax the controls are there, just how much stuff they make, and how willing they have shown themselves to be to cut corners on safety to save a few pennies.

The sticks recalled are:

Nike Bauer Supreme One90 Junior Stick

Nike Bauer Supreme One50 Junior Stick

Nike Bauer Supreme One70 Junior Stick

Nike Bauer/Bauer Supreme One75 Junior Stick (player and goalie sticks)

Nike Bauer/Bauer Vapor XX Junior Stick (goalie sticks)

Nike Bauer Vapor XVI Junior Stick

The list as reported in Calgary.

* Nike Bauer Supreme One90 youth and junior stick, including shafts and replacement blades

* Nike Bauer Supreme Junior One50 junior stick, including shafts and replacement blades

* Nike Bauer Supreme One40 junior stick

* Nike Bauer Supreme One70 junior stick

* Nike Bauer/Bauer Supreme One75 junior player and goalie stick

* Nike Bauer/Bauer Vapor XX junior player and goalie stick

* Nike Bauer Supreme LTX junior stick.

* Nike Bauer Apollo junior stick

* Nike Quest Apollo junior blade

* Nike Bauer Supreme Force junior stick

* Nike Bauer Vapor XVI junior stick

* Nike Bauer Vapor XXX Lite "Woody" junior stick

* Nike Bauer Supreme Accel junior stick