Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chad Seibel

Ice vs Roller

I would like to know some reasons why ice people do not like roller. There are people out there who treat us as the redheaded step child of hockey. Frankly that is a thing that I kind of take pride in and look down on those people a little because of their ignorance of the synergy of the two sports.

For this thread, however, I am asking only the reasons that you have heard from people regarding this type of topic. I am only really looking for a little comedy or even truth about this topic.

I have heard things like it will ruin your stride for ice, or roller players are lazy or things along that line.

What are things you have heard?

- The typical hot shot roller player who is pretty good, but when he gets the puck taken away, he will either do a cheapshot on you or just quit and stand still and pout.

- The goofy gear that some roller players wear. Uniforms and pants that look like a motocross racer.

- White pants. also, yellow pants.

- White gloves.

Those are a few I can think of. I play roller and those things BUG me.

- The typical hot shot roller player who is pretty good, but when he gets the puck taken away, he will either do a cheapshot on you or just quit and stand still and pout.

- The goofy gear that some roller players wear. Uniforms and pants that look like a motocross racer.

- White pants. also, yellow pants.

- White gloves.

Those are a few I can think of. I play roller and those things BUG me.

Nice, thanks Brian, this is the stuff I am looking for. People are funny.

On roller hockey can you throw on the brakes and immediately change direction without have to perform a tight turn or curl of some sort? Honestly can't tell why I don't like roller hockey, but it could be that I feel it isn't as intense a sport as ice hockey. That said I haven't seen many games so my judgment is based solely on an uneducated view of the sport, and I would assume that is the case for almost every who turns their nose up at it. They either haven't seen it be played or don't know enough about it.

I can always tell tell a roller hockey player when they skate (or lack of) never using the outside edges and never stopping for the play - they continue to roll through the puck and the man - just pisses me off because half the time they are out of position rolling through the play - I'll give them credit most roller players I played ice with sure can dangle the puck - best one I've seen and skated with was Dustin Roux!

Oh yeah, a couple weeks ago during the game before mine, one of the teams had jerseys that looked like tuxedos.

no no no.

This isn't Halloween or something. This is hockey.

I can always tell tell a roller hockey player when they skate (or lack of) never using the outside edges and never stopping for the play - they continue to roll through the puck and the man - just pisses me off because half the time they are out of position rolling through the play

And I think that's where the respect is lost, in the perception that roller players never stop and start, they just do big turns to get going in the other direction.

It just doesn't look right seeing someone play ice hockey in their roller hockey pants. Even if you have mad dangle skills you'll still be stereotyped as an inline hockey player. Invest in some ice hockey pants and socks! If you have a girdle then buy a shell for it before you get on the ice. Sweatpants as socks under ice hockey pants are okay too but roller hockey pants just do not belong. I play both ice and inline and dress appropriately for each sport. It only happened once when I had an ice and inline game on the same night. I played ice first and then rushed over to my inline game only to find out I forgot my roller pants! I played in my ice hockey pants and socks. I was getting ribbed by my teammates and the opposing team for my ice attire! It was a funny situation and we all got a good laugh out of it. I guess it goes the other way around too. :rolleyes:

It just doesn't look right seeing someone play ice hockey in their roller hockey pants. Even if you have mad dangle skills you'll still be stereotyped as an inline hockey player. Invest in some ice hockey pants and socks! If you have a girdle then buy a shell for it before you get on the ice. Sweatpants as socks under ice hockey pants are okay too but roller hockey pants just do not belong. I play both ice and inline and dress appropriately for each sport. It only happened once when I had an ice and inline game on the same night. I played ice first and then rushed over to my inline game only to find out I forgot my roller pants! I played in my ice hockey pants and socks. I was getting ribbed by my teammates and the opposing team for my ice attire! It was a funny situation and we all got a good laugh out of it. I guess it goes the other way around too. :rolleyes:

I completely agree with you. I play both too and I always make sure I'm dressed in the right gear for each. Isn't it funny how inline pants on the ice or hockey pants/socks on the floor are so noticeable? I mean the object of both is to put the puck in the net right? To me its just like the bias between Mtn. bikers and Roadies (I'm one of each of those too).

On roller hockey can you throw on the brakes and immediately change direction without have to perform a tight turn or curl of some sort? Honestly can't tell why I don't like roller hockey, but it could be that I feel it isn't as intense a sport as ice hockey. That said I haven't seen many games so my judgment is based solely on an uneducated view of the sport, and I would assume that is the case for almost every who turns their nose up at it. They either haven't seen it be played or don't know enough about it.

I agree that the tempo is different than Ice. That is one of the reasons that I like it and it is synergistic to ice. Take me for example. My job as a stay at home d man was to bang in the corners and get the puck and get it to the forwards. If I had it near the o blue line, then dump it in. That was how I played the game all the time.

Now take my roller experience, you never dump it in and I learned a lot more control and patience that I would have never learned from ice, because of the way it is coached. You are NEVER encouraged to be "fancy" with the puck and players oft get pigeon holed into their spots.

Playing both sports make you a better player in both sports, because of the similarities and differences. Also, ask any player who actually plays both and they will tell you that they love both and that they typically have more all out fun playing roller, but they compete more in ice. Again, two different sports, but with an incredible amount of similarities.

Oh yeah, a couple weeks ago during the game before mine, one of the teams had jerseys that looked like tuxedos.

no no no.

This isn't Halloween or something. This is hockey.

Could I strongly agree more with you!!!!! Tuxedos are suppose to be the upmost in class, but as uniforms they blow and are absolutely stupid and ridiculous. Thank you.

Playing both sports make you a better player in both sports, because of the similarities and differences. Also, ask any player who actually plays both and they will tell you that they love both and that they typically have more all out fun playing roller, but they compete more in ice. Again, two different sports, but with an incredible amount of similarities.

Totally agree. Like I said earlier I think a lot of the disgust players have for each other is due to lack of knowledge or face time with the sport.

I have been playing inline hockey since '92 and started playin ice since '99. Coming from inline and transitioning to ice opened up a whole new game for me. I didn't have an ice rink in my town so I started playing roller. I knew the whole strategic play for inline with its 4 on 4 play. When an ice rink was finally built I thought I'd give ice a try. It was like learning a new language. I had to get used to "catching up" with the puck while stick handling and the flow of the game was faster. Oh and the off sides thing! LOL. I had a better respect for the ice game because I took the time to learn the flow and strategies for this game. Inline players may seem relaxed with their skating style but the intensity is there. IMO the intensity for inline is about the same as ice but in a more laid back fashion it seems. You might want to check out an inline game, read up on it, or give it a try before passing judgment.

I agree that the tempo is different than Ice. That is one of the reasons that I like it and it is synergistic to ice. Take me for example. My job as a stay at home d man was to bang in the corners and get the puck and get it to the forwards. If I had it near the o blue line, then dump it in. That was how I played the game all the time.

Now take my roller experience, you never dump it in and I learned a lot more control and patience that I would have never learned from ice, because of the way it is coached. You are NEVER encouraged to be "fancy" with the puck and players oft get pigeon holed into their spots.

Could I strongly agree more with you!!!!! Tuxedos are suppose to be the upmost in class, but as uniforms they blow and are absolutely stupid and ridiculous. Thank you.

I agree with Chad about the control and patience with inline hockey and both sports making you better in both. You do get to play with the puck more in inline than in ice. In ice you hardly touch the puck which can limit you in ways to learning how to stickhandle with the puck. Playing inline has helped me make better decisions in ice and playing ice has helped me with my skating technique in inline. I can honestly say that I love both sports. I'll always stay true to my grass roots with roller. I always have fun out there because of the laid back atmosphere. And for some reason I do find myself being more of a competitor on the ice. I don't know how you nailed that one on me Chad.

I think the thing that knocks off roller is it's style. It does feel kinda flashy when you have so many options on trying to have a unique team uniform. The bright colors and patterns of the pants, the unparalleled sublimated designs of the jerseys (Tour makes theirs stand out like no other IMO), everyone always trying to one up the other in skates and wheels. Only in inline hockey my friends! Ice hockey is more of a tradition with the whole sweater and socks setup. Inline hockey is like trying to find an identity and being unique. There are similarities in the way the game is played but their style is what can set the two apart.

That said I haven't seen many games so my judgment is based solely on an uneducated view of the sport, and I would assume that is the case for almost every who turns their nose up at it. They either haven't seen it be played or don't know enough about it.
Totally agree. Like I said earlier I think a lot of the disgust players have for each other is due to lack of knowledge or face time with the sport.
You might want to check out an inline game, read up on it, or give it a try before passing judgment.

As I have already stated I should.

I think of it more as an alienation toward each other.

As I have already stated I should.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say when the time comes.

Also, there are a few games to use as an example to show good Inline Hockey. There was a Pittsburgh Bandits/Philadelphia Brawlers this year that was as good as the sport gets (Except for the terrible floor in Winchester, VA). There is a gym above the rink, there were people lined up clogging the windows to watch the game.

Ive heard some ice hockey coaches call inline a joke,sad thing is they couldnt skate themselves,how sad.The inline game is a great game and just a blast to play.I would look at it this way.the low level ice leagues are just like the low level inline leagues.The high end tournament level inline games(platnum level,Narch pro level)is just as good as a high end ice game.not NHL ,BUT you get my meaning hear?In the next 10 to 15 years you might just see and hear of kids in the NHL who grew up playing inline hockey,some of them are already there.Look at Rocco G. maybe?

I grew up playing Roller as there was a rink 5 minutes from my house and all my friends played. I just joined an ice team this past season made up of a bunch of guys I play Roller with and they have been getting called "Roller fags" since they started, despite winning the championship 3 seasons in a row. I guess people just get the idea in their head that the other is inferior some how. Ice is more fun to play for me but the people at Roller are much more laid back.

I dont look down on inline hockey players, I started as one. I do however like Ice far more than roller.

The one thing I've noticed is that a lot of players who strictly play Inline are a tad more...pansy. If you accidently run into someone in roller a big fuss starts. Whining ensues and then bad blood is born. Ice Hockey players generally expect a little roughness, even in non-contact leagues.

Either way, I prefer ice much more than roller. Equipment doesnt wear down as much (Wheels, Blades and Pucks do in roller no matter where you play).

I play both. Besides the different equipment and some slight rule changes it all seems the same to me.

Of course I also mainly just worry about playing my game and to hell with everyone else.

And I think that's where the respect is lost, in the perception that roller players never stop and start, they just do big turns to get going in the other direction.

This isnt true. I stop and start similar to ice.

i play ice and inline and i love both. however i like ice a lot more for these reasons:

1) ice has faster skating (both in a straight line and faster turns).

2) more structured play and focus on positioning. inline feels more like a drop in to me where players are just constantly wandering around. i wish inline had offsides and icing too.

3) there seems to be a lot of inline players that [i'm quoting "white men can't jump"] would rather look good and lose than look bad and win. and i think there is more commitment to defensive play in ice.

4) too many inline guys think its a non-contact sport.

5) there are way more ice players so its easier to find a league at your exact skill level.

In the Open Ice Hockey that I play alot of roller guys come to play and one thing I noticed is that most of them skate with their head down ALOT. Now most of them are great stickhandlers, passers and shooters but when they are trying to razzle dazzle w/ the puck anyone whose ever played in a checking ice league would have a field day laying these guys out. The other difference is the skating. The one thing I noticed that will deke a roller guy every time is to just gain the blue line and throw on the brakes. Usually the defender will continue to glide for a second or two giving you a few seconds in the clear. Now with that being said, the majority of roller guys that consistently show up and play on the ice with us have shown a dramatic improvement skating wise. The "throw on the brakes" move is working less and less but their heads are still down. Now I'm not sure if there are full checking roller leagues out there (I've never seen or heard or played in one) but they might be beneficial to some to teach them to keep their heads up.

P.S.

As stated before please ditch the roller pants on the ice and get into some hockey pants/socks combo. That would go a long way towards the transition.

2) more structured play and focus on positioning. inline feels more like a drop in to me where players are just constantly wandering around. i wish inline had offsides and icing too.

The roller league I play in has offsides and icing. Although the offsides is blueline in redline out it is offsides. Plus its 5 on 5.

I don't dislike roller, I just like ice a lot better. Part of it is because I'm so much worse at roller.

I know it's PP, but I think a lot of roller hockey uniforms and pants are really too loud.

That being said, after ice hockey and golf, there's no sport I'd rather play.

I played ice for a season and didnt like it compared to roller. Now granted it was just a house team, but if you play with a good inline team the pace is much faster than ice. The other thing that made me REALLY mad, is ice players when they dont have a play they just dump it. The only thing I liked about ice is the temperature. felt very good and didnt sweat as much.