Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hradsky

Is Junior Hockey Free?

Same here. I know one of those kids on there. First off, he's not 155 pounds. He's nowhere ready for the USHL, but for his age group(95) I'm assuming he is very good

I thought so. One of my good friends is at one down here in Dallas right here, apparently they have scouts and coaches from the NAHL, EJHL, BCHL, and some other leagues there. I would be shocked if anyone gets picked up considering pretty much every good Jr league recruits its players.

It can ge a good way to get in some good competition.

Youre talking canadian juniors, right?

basically junior B/A is full of players who can't make major juniors, and most of these clubs are affiliated with a MJ team to send up their best players and take in injured or non-performing MJ players. Its pretty high up competition. Lets use numbers to justify these leagues. Major Junior is 100. USHL is 90. Canadian Jr A is 85. NAHL is 80. Rest of US Jr A is 75. Canadian Jr B is 70-75. US Jr B is 65-70. Jr C is 60. Jr D is 50.

The people who will play MJ is people who have legit chances at going pro, almost all will go semi-pro. USHL is for people who want to play in college. Some will go pro, most will play D1, rest will either quit hockey or play D3. Canadian Jr A is for college who wants to stay in canada. Few will go pro, some will play D1, rest will either quit hockey or play D3. Your still good enough to play D3 or D1 at this level. NAHL is for good americans who can't make it in the USHL. Almost none will go pro. A handful will go D1, few will go D3, most will have this as their highest level of play. Rest of american Jr A is almost none will go D1, a couple will go D3, most will have this as their highest level of play. For the rest of these leagues, a couple might go D1 or D3, 99% will have this as their highest level of play. JrB is for players who can't make it into Jr A who still want to play, most will come from either HS or programs who don't know what to do after this. Avg-below avg HS and AAA players. Quite a bit of AA players in this as well. Jr C there is almost no AAA players, some AA players, and then good house players who want to go Junior and basically A players. I tried and made a team at this level, its really easy. I suck and I made a team. If I made a AA team I'd be like 4th liner. There are some Jr C leagues where the level is really worse, basically glorified house. Jr D is glorified house, your true dusters will play here,

tl;dr version: MJ and Jr A are legit leagues, Jr B is borederline depending on where you play. Jr C is a gongshow. Jr D is full of dusters. To play MJ you need to be legit, pro potential. Jr A is a mix of this and kids who want to play D1. Jr B is full of kids who can't make it in Jr A who want to play juniors. Jr C is more or less A - bad AAA, high mix of skill, and Jr D is kids who just are horrible who still want to play juniors. If you can't make a Jr C team, honestly, you might as well not play Jr D.

Watch some youtube clips to see the skill level if your not sure. GLJHL is pretty cool for Jr C. Depends on where you want to play at for sure, but, I'd go there if you have a choice. Tryout for Essex. Basically youre going to need to email the crap out of a bunch of coaches. It takes a while because sometimes its hard to find them and they aren't pro-active in responding to email.

If you're an average A player, you'll probably be 2nd-3rd line in a Junior C league. I don't think I could make a AA team when I was playing and I was top 6 forward in Jr C... the team I was going to play for was average. Definitely depends on the team you're playing for, as there are some which are basically Jr B teams, and some which should be in Jr D. Jr C has a huge parity of skill level.

Ok thanks, great post! And yes I'm talking about Canadian Jr. C, specifically the the NDJHL in Ontario and I'm hoping to play for Dundas Blues (If I even go to Jr. C), as that is the closest team to me.

My local Jr. A team is having tryouts/camp today at the same arena where I'm going to play shinny, so I'm just going to drop in earlier and see the level of play. A guy I know who dominated midget AAA (Goal per game average) here is trying out for the team, so If he doesn't even make it then that's pretty insane.

I've also found some videos of Jr. C games in Ontario, and it seems like I would be able to keep up, but I've never actually seen myself on camera so I'm going to get someone to film my next game tomorrow. I've got a whole year to train so who knows...

This.

Hell, most USHL players played in the EJ or NA, or even AJ before the USHL.

Yep, NAHL has had a ton of guys move on to higher levels and have had a lot get drafted. I think Pat Maroon got drafted from the NAHL and then went to the OHL.

The EJ should be graded higher than the NA, closer to Canadian Junior A

I wouldnt go that far, seeing as to the NAHL is Tier II and the EJ is Tier III.

Although, the EJ has been making some big strides. Same with the AJHL.

I wouldnt go that far, seeing as to the NAHL is Tier II and the EJ is Tier III.

Although, the EJ has been making some big strides. Same with the AJHL.

My reasoning for this is because the EJ sends more players to Division I hockey than the NA... also Tier II vs. Tier III is strictly financial.

I'm pretty sure the reason the EJ sends more players directly to D1 has less to do with the level of hockey and more to do with the fact that being in the East makes it easier for coaches, particularly in the northeast where a lot of school are concentrated, to recruit the EJ than the NA. Its just easier for school in the ECAC and Atlantic Hockey, which generally have slightly smaller budgets than schools int he big three leagues, to recruit third and fourth liners from the EJ than from the NA. At the same time, the big three leagues get their third and fourth liners from the USHL, BCHL, etc. etc. that have teams that are more concentrated geographically and easier to scout and recruit. I really think the NA suffers from the fact that it has so many teams and is so spread out geographically. And to be clear, I'm not saying all the players that come out of the EJ are third or fourth liners, just making a point about the convenience of recruiting by Eastern school.

None of this means I think the NA is significantly better hockey than the EJ, I think they are fairly comparable leagues that are pretty much on the same level.

Additionally, I believe that many of the guys from the EJ that go D1 end up spending a year in the USHL, BCHL, or elsewhere before they end up on campuses.

I'm pretty sure the reason the EJ sends more players directly to D1 has less to do with the level of hockey and more to do with the fact that being in the East makes it easier for coaches, particularly in the northeast where a lot of school are concentrated, to recruit the EJ than the NA. Its just easier for school in the ECAC and Atlantic Hockey, which generally have slightly smaller budgets than schools int he big three leagues, to recruit third and fourth liners from the EJ than from the NA. At the same time, the big three leagues get their third and fourth liners from the USHL, BCHL, etc. etc. that have teams that are more concentrated geographically and easier to scout and recruit. I really think the NA suffers from the fact that it has so many teams and is so spread out geographically. And to be clear, I'm not saying all the players that come out of the EJ are third or fourth liners, just making a point about the convenience of recruiting by Eastern school.

None of this means I think the NA is significantly better hockey than the EJ, I think they are fairly comparable leagues that are pretty much on the same level.

Additionally, I believe that many of the guys from the EJ that go D1 end up spending a year in the USHL, BCHL, or elsewhere before they end up on campuses.

Touche

wow I wish I played where you guys play. I pay about 7 grand for jr A.

I think only the nahl and ushl is free. Other leagues are around 7 grand I think. I agree about the aj getting better too. Even some of the empire programs are pretty good. Just look at Vatrano, he's already committed to bc as a sophomore.

I think only the nahl and ushl is free. Other leagues are around 7 grand I think. I agree about the aj getting better too. Even some of the empire programs are pretty good. Just look at Vatrano, he's already committed to bc as a sophomore.

There's actually quite a few players that commit at his age...but the rest of them are not playing Jr. B. And I cant, for the life of me, understand why Vatrano isn't on their A club. I know I've brought that up before, but the kid could easily handle the jump.

And there really are some great Empire programs, although, they have some stinker programs too. I wish there werent so many east coast Jr. B leagues. The talent is getting so diluted. Jr. B should be a pretty high level of hockey, but it can get pretty bad when you look at the some of the teams in the bottom half of the EmJHL, MJHL and CHA (which is already bad to begin with, save for 2-3 legit teams).

hradsky, dundas is pretty good. I was looking that them when I was trying out as well. I settled on GLJHL, but, that was the first league I looked at. Since they are a better than average team, you'd probably be 3rd or 4th instead of 1st or 2nd line. But who knows how they are year to year.

Definately would tryout, you'll enjoy yourself and if you don't make it this year you can work at it and you should next.

and as for ej/aj compared to na? Top to bottom I don't think they are close. Saying that, I'd give the EJ and AJ better top players. The best of them go to US though, except for a few. Most D1 players from those 2 leagues end up playing in the US before D1, which I was trying to hint at at first.

I miss the Jr A national championships. That was a fun tourney. They should bring that back. Have 3 from US, 2 from NA, 1 from EJ, 1 from AJ (or some variation of this, but limit to either 6 or 8 teams. Maybe 2 from US, 1 from rest, and a host?) and a host team have a version of the old tournament. Have 2 brackets round robin, then semis, then finals. Would be sweet.

hradsky, dundas is pretty good. I was looking that them when I was trying out as well. I settled on GLJHL, but, that was the first league I looked at. Since they are a better than average team, you'd probably be 3rd or 4th instead of 1st or 2nd line. But who knows how they are year to year.

Definately would tryout, you'll enjoy yourself and if you don't make it this year you can work at it and you should next.

Yeah I assumed they were one of the better teams, there website seems pretty sophisticated and they just seem professional.

By the way, do you happen to know how much you would have to pay to play a season with them? I don't know if it's alright to just start talking money with the team staff...

Oh and also, how were you looking at Dundas and Essex? Aren't you located in the US? Were you actually going to move for Junior C lol? I looked at GLJHL but since all the teams are far, I just dismissed it.

It kind of sucks that there aren't any teams closer to where I live, Dundas is the closest (1 hour away) or I've got Guelph in Junior B an hour away also. Jr. A's home rink is 5 minutes from my house so it would be sweet if I made it, but after seeing the tryouts last night I really doubt it...

If cost is an issue, do not underestimate the cost of living away from home! Sometimes paying to play at the local junior team is actually cheaper than playing at a free travel team far away. On a free team, you do typically get billeted and provided food. But, in almost every case you have to supplement the food you get with your own trips to the sub shop...playing high level hockey burns up a lot of calories...a case of ramen noodles is not going to cut it! You also have entertainment costs, gas/insurance if you bring a car (an if you don't have a car, it can be a lonely stay), cost for books supplies at school, trips home, etc. Even playing Major Junior where you get "paid", you typically get paid enought to just break even, and anything extra (entertainment, etc) has to come from mom.

living at home...you can raid the fridge any time you want! Want to watch HBO...just turn on the tv!

Yeah I assumed they were one of the better teams, there website seems pretty sophisticated and they just seem professional.

By the way, do you happen to know how much you would have to pay to play a season with them? I don't know if it's alright to just start talking money with the team staff...

Oh and also, how were you looking at Dundas and Essex? Aren't you located in the US? Were you actually going to move for Junior C lol? I looked at GLJHL but since all the teams are far, I just dismissed it.

It kind of sucks that there aren't any teams closer to where I live, Dundas is the closest (1 hour away) or I've got Guelph in Junior B an hour away also. Jr. A's home rink is 5 minutes from my house so it would be sweet if I made it, but after seeing the tryouts last night I really doubt it...

Yeah I'm in US, I was going to move up there with a host family. I tried out for Kingsville, made team, and then basically mom was like yeah your not moving to canada, so I just went back to college. From what I was told, it was going to cost as much as it would have to go to college just to play hockey and live up there, not including equipment costs and fun. Basically it was just a pipe dream and I wasn't really that serious in doing it anyways, just wanted to see if I could make it. Apparently that team sucks though, so, I don't know how much of an achievement it really is.

For Dundas I think they had that fill in the blank thing about you, and I just did that and the coach contacted me, and with essex, this was before they had a website, and it was really hard tracking down the coach. The better teams wanted to scout me, which, wouldn't have been practical to come down to watch, so I just gave up on them. I only further pursued teams which didn't have that, and only had the couple hundred dollar tryout.

Since your an hour away from the team your looking at, honestly, I think you could get away with just living at home and driving to practice every day. It might get quite tiring doing so and you will have some problems spending time with the boys, but, it would save you an ass load of money as previously mentioned.

Jr. A Tier I = No cost to play, no cost for billet. Pretty much just buy your own food.

Jr. A Tier II = No cost to play. Room and board and food is the only cost.

Jr. A Tier III = 5 grand minimum for playing. More often than not, most Tier III teams are made up of local AAA/AA kids who couldn't or didn't make the jump up to the NAHL or USHL.

Granted, this is taken from my own experience, but I'd be fairly certain that with Tier III teams elsewhere the cost varies, but the NAHL and USHL is the same across the country.

As the poster above me said, the EJHL and the AJHL are not the AA youth players who couldnt play better hockey. Its pretty legit if the goal is to play college hockey (which it is for 95% of American players).

EJHL is very good hockey. AJHL is not too far behind but not quite up there yet. If you take away the Bruins, Monarchs, Kings, and Hitmen The EJ and AJ are pretty much equal, (But obviously the EJHL DOES have those teams so it is the better league. I was going to play for a bottom of the barrel EJHL team, but then decided I'd be better off playing on the top AJHL team, (which was also cheaper, and closer to home). The AJ team is charging $5000 and that includes travel, and pretty much unlimited ice time because the team owns the rink they play out of... I had NAHL tender offers but after watching a lot of their games playing in their U-18 league this season I felt the level of hockey in TierIII on the East Coast was equal, and I get to stay home.

EJHL is very good hockey. AJHL is not too far behind but not quite up there yet. If you take away the Bruins, Monarchs, Kings, and Hitmen The EJ and AJ are pretty much equal, (But obviously the EJHL DOES have those teams so it is the better league. I was going to play for a bottom of the barrel EJHL team, but then decided I'd be better off playing on the top AJHL team, (which was also cheaper, and closer to home). The AJ team is charging $5000 and that includes travel, and pretty much unlimited ice time because the team owns the rink they play out of... I had NAHL tender offers but after watching a lot of their games playing in their U-18 league this season I felt the level of hockey in TierIII on the East Coast was equal, and I get to stay home.

Walpole?

No.. I guess I should change it to "A top team" Not "The"

Oh, no, thats not why I thought that.

You said that the team owned the rink they played out of, and I know Walpole had something similar, so I guessed it was them :)

For Dundas I think they had that fill in the blank thing about you, and I just did that and the coach contacted me, and with essex, this was before they had a website, and it was really hard tracking down the coach. The better teams wanted to scout me, which, wouldn't have been practical to come down to watch, so I just gave up on them. I only further pursued teams which didn't have that, and only had the couple hundred dollar tryout.

Hmm, I don't really want to go through the fill in the blank thing with Dundas yet, as my last year's stats weren't really impressive. However, did Dundas actually want to go watch you play? Because that's pretty hard core. I thought they just wanted to check out your "resume" just for a general idea, but they'd let you try out anyways...