Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirsch

Psychology Experiment

Hi guys,

I have a psychology experiment due for a class on Thursday. I could really use your guys help. Here is the situation:

Situation 1

I am a sales person. You approach me and I am wearing a really wierd outfit. Birght colors huge necklaces the works. Just completely outrageous. How would you respond and would you be more or less likely to buy the product I am selling.

Situation 2

I am a sales person. You approcah me and I am wearing a very formal outfit. Think a full suit. How would you respond and would you be more or less likely to buy the product I am selling.

Situation 3

I am a sales person. You approach me and I am wearing a casual outfit. Jeans and a T-Shirt. How would you respond and would you be more or less likely to buy the product I am selling.

Also which are you more likely to buy the product from of the three.

Now in these situations assume that other than the way I am dressed I act completely normal and the same in each situation. The product trying to be sold is a hockey stick, nothing elaborate, just a hockey stick. Please try and respond to these like you were actually doing it, not like you are reading it on a forum on the internet. Also don't respond based on the product, just assume you want the hockey stick, my results are only based on the outfit. I would actualy be doing this but with such short time I simply can't. I need the results and data by tomorrow night so the more replies the better. Thanks so very much, you're really saving my ass for helping me out :D

I'd have to say it would be based on the product, even though you say its irrelivant. I wouldnt buy from situation 1 either way, its not professional. situation 2's salesman would be good for selling something expensive like a car, but situation 3 would be good for selling something less expensive, say at a hockey store or something.

Ok I suppose the product will be necessary. The product that I am trying to sell is a hockey stick. Nothing elaborate just a hockey stick.

it's obviously the second. People will always buy from people who look more professional

Or the hottest, seriously.

I would have to agree.... On a semi related note there a song kind of about that in a way... Anti-Flag - You`ll Scream Tonight read the lyrics... pretty interesting...

I would buy from the most professional guy, but if it was something more of a day to day not high class product I wouldnt have a problem from someone dressed casually as long as they act professionally.

I wouldn't buy anything from #1, not a hockey stick from #2 because dressing too professional makes you look like you don't play hockey, but I'd buy from #3 because dressing casual looks like you play hockey more than the other two. I'd rather buy something from someone who can actually use teh product they are selling.

Dealing with reps, I've encountered all three types.

Situation 1 - One guy came in once. Had the surfer haircut, the big fat watch, square-toed shoes and the untucked nice blue shirt. Left me wondering if he was a homo/metro...found out he's a metro. However, I got a bad vibe from him...he didn't seem the hockey type, and my assumptions about him were correct...we've had trouble with our account with him.

Situation 2 - It's kinda different in the hockey world. Rarely you see reps dressed to the nines...even at the trade shows. So I'll change it up to a guy wearing nice slacks and a company polo. I have a couple like that, and they usually know their stuff and do a good job.

Situation 3 - Once again, it all depends. I've had guys come in wearing a t-shirt and sandals, and it's been more of a casual meeting than anything else, one of those "I'm in the neighborhood, decided to check up on you guys" kinda deals. Plus I'm in Florida where it's hot a lot of the time. If it is a formal presentation, they will dress accordingly.

I'd buy from #2. Appearance is important. It promotes confidence in the buyer's eyes about the product being sold.

It would depend on what my expectations are. Personally I couldn't care less how outrageous the clothing style as long as it was still done well.

This is awesome guys. I'm getting a good variety in data. I appreciate your help thus far. Keep the responses coming guys :)

I might buy from the first guy who is more likely let his(in this case) ego get in the way not wanting to lose "the sale"...... :rolleyes: thus allowing me to work him a little harder on the price. B)

I would say for a hockey stick I would rather buy from #3 casual, not strange or formal as if in a funeral home. I would also think the way he wears his clothes would affect the sale. Example if his t-shirt is just hanging out it would look less professional than if it's tucked in.

I would say it depends on where you decide to buy the stuff. If it's from a LHS I'd say a T-Shirt and Jeans would be alright, it's relaxed and doesn't make the buyer feel pressured into making a deal. If it was a major chain, I'd say a #2 would be better.

Even at a small LHS it's not too much to ask tehat they all have store branded shirts. Nothing worse than having some dork stare at you for 10 minutes before you figure out he works there.

Ahh...well I get that a lot here. One, I don't wear the uniform - I wear a coaches' windsuit with my nametag on it. Two...if there is another employee behind the counter and the customer is new...they will ask the other guy EVERY TIME. I guess black guys don't sell hockey equipment... :ph34r:

Situation 1

I wouldnt even come near you, your weird

Situation 2

I would think you knew what you were talking about it, sure Ill buy the non stick pan.

Situation 3

Id ask you some stuff, bud Id be staring at your kiss t shirt, and Id be like, there all washed up, screw you

Down here the LHS is ran by a grampa/grandma tandem, with their daughter filling in at times. It's eerily comfortable buying something from an old lady in her stretch pants.

Back in AK the shops mainly have fresh-out of high-school workers there, dressed in hoodies/t-shirts and jeans. It's not their wardrobe that makes me not want to buy anything there; it's their dickish attitude trying to sell you the most expensive model of what you want.

To be honest if the owner happens to be the guy selling the product and is dressed to well, you know he's just screwing customers.

In reality, this isn't too good a board to survey, as most of these participants would know in advance what they wanted, the best price out there on the net, and the sales person would be irrelevant beyond their ability to ring up the sale. In most hockey proshops you are not likely to have any choice as to whom is helping you, in fact getting someone at all is often the problem.

In reality, this isn't too good a board to survey, as most of these participants would know in advance what they wanted, the best price out there on the net, and the sales person would be irrelevant beyond their ability to ring up the sale. In most hockey proshops you are not likely to have any choice as to whom is helping you, in fact getting someone at all is often the problem.

For many of us, the people in the pro shops are actually not helpful at all as they frequently know less than many of our members.

Well, when I first replied, I did it on a buyer's standpoint with sales reps.

AS far as a customer buying a stick from a shop employee, I'd suggest slacks and a polo.

Exactly...the choice if there was one would be ...which one is just going to ring this up and not try to tell me about piece of mechandise that I have already owned 10 of.