Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dayroc

Bauer Vs Easton

I will be updating my equipment (Shoulders, Pants and Shins).

I've narrowed it down:

Shoulders:

S19 or X60

I love how both have the "floating chest" kinda technology.

Pants:

S19 or X60

Shins:

bauer pro -something i forgot what it was called.

My question, is bauer gear more ergonomic fitting or something? Or are both brands just a matter of personal pref.?

Is Easton fitting the normal fitting?

I wouldn't mind whichever, but i would choose the brand that is more a contoured fit.

Anyone have any light on this?

I found bauer to have a more contoured fit on my body...so most of my gear is bauer.

I had ccm shin pads, they would roll everytime I fell (and I fall often, haha), I found it a bigger fit, I also found RBK that way too

when I went to get new shin pads, the tightest ones and best fit was bauer.

best bet is to go check it out....they do all fit a bit different

I have both the Vapor X60 shoulders and pants, love them both. The Shoulders don't restrict movement at all, and they're extremely light. I pants are also light and very protective. I would recommend you go with Bauer.

I just replaced a whole bunch of gear recently...

Pants - replaced Vapor XXV's (not enough padding), the X:60's were good, but I really liked the Tackla 9000 and Reebok 9k (or whatever the second from top end pants are). They were lighter and still felt plenty protective and had great tailbone/spine protection that hugs the body. I didn't like the S19 and wanted to try on the ST16 which looked great but was out of stock everywhere. Ended up with the Tacklas because of their great reputation and the light weight.

Shoulders - replaced Vapor XXV's (slid around a bit during games and overkill), liked the ST6's and Reebok 6k, ended up with 4k's because they were basically no different than 6k's and I got a great deal on a new pair off Craigslist.

Elbows - replaced One55's (fit too big), liked the ST16's a lot but found a killer deal on some RBK 7k Pros that fit in between a medium and large and love them. Sorry, it was a one pair thing at a Play It Again Sports, they don't have a whole bunch of them or anything.

Shins - replaced One90's (fit a bit big), really only liked the Reebok 6k's out of anything I tried on...I probably could drop down to 13.5" shins if anyone made them but I couldn't find any. The One90/One95 shins fit better but the strap system isn't that great and the Reeboks pull a lot tighter.

Basically, I really thought the Easton ST6/ST16 line was really good stuff. A few years back when I bought a lot of my gear, I really liked the Vapor line, but the Eastons feel a little more natural for me. But I have a weird body shape so you really want to try them on.

For the shoulder pads, I never found something as good as the good old jofa ASD, and high end stuff are way too bulky, the cheaper models are always much better in every areas comfort, mobility, durability.. You can also do a custom one by yourself it's very easy, mixing parts of your old and new one. Only warrior seems to have understood how to design a high end shoulder pad. To be honest bauer/easton is may be the worst choice you can do for shoulder pads to me. On the other hand their elbow pads are (really) good.

For the shins, to me they all are the same.. just get one that doesn't have a top strap that impedes your joint movement or hurts your knee pit tendons. Here again I like simple stuff more than those bigger than your leg that completely wrap it.

For the pants. I don't see the point of cracking so much money anywhere else than in a tackla (but that's just me).

Again for easton (I don't know Bauer) I found the lower end models better than the very high end model.

When it comes to select your gears, it might be better to try everything (whole equipment) together, to make sure every piece of your equipment fits together.

I can really only comment on the shins choice. I will always have a pair or two of Bauer Pro(pro lightspeed), they are the best shin pad available, in my opinion. They have Jofa-like protection but fit deeper than Jofa/Reebok. The small calf wrap is perfect for covering my exposed calf and the length is slightly longer than most others which is ideal for me.

To be perfectly honest I think it's really a personal preference issue. I'm an Easton freak and like a lot of what they put out. I have tried Bauer protective as well and I really like the fit of their shins, shoulder and elbow pads and the protection is excellent. I agree that Bauer protective may have a slight edge on ergonomical fit but then again I haven't tried the new S-19 protective which is rumoured to be much better than previous offerings from Easton. As far as hockey pants though I think personally I would stick to the Easton S-19's over the X-60's because Easton pants are well known to be one of the most protective on the market. So there you have it, I don't think you can really go wrong either way with most of the protective but personally I think go with Easton for pants.

I had Bauer Supreme shins for more than 10 years (the old school black/green line, but they were beat to hell, so I grabbed a pair of Supreme one75 shins...They fit great and are super tight on my legs. I'd look at those or the Bauer Pro Series. Both pairs offer great protection and really fit well on your legs.

Hi dayroc;

Just an addition to my earlier comments. Someone mentioned Tackla pants earlier in this thread. They are well worth considering as well but they may be slightly more expensive than the X60 or S-19's. If your playing non-contact, pickup or beer league you could go with the 951's. If your into semi or full contact you might want to go for the 5000's or 9000's. Tackla makes a great hockey pant as well and I highly recommend them.

Hi dayroc;

Just an addition to my earlier comments. Someone mentioned Tackla pants earlier in this thread. They are well worth considering as well but they may be slightly more expensive than the X60 or S-19's. If your playing non-contact, pickup or beer league you could go with the 951's. If your into semi or full contact you might want to go for the 5000's or 9000's. Tackla makes a great hockey pant as well and I highly recommend them.

I 2nd the 951s. Yeah, they are beat up but now that they are comfortable and broken in, I can't bear to switch.

How do you know what will fit better if you don't try it on?

I've tried the s19 and x60 shoulders on at a shop last season, but i honestly forgot how they fit.

I just replaced a whole bunch of gear recently...

Pants - replaced Vapor XXV's (not enough padding), the X:60's were good, but I really liked the Tackla 9000 and Reebok 9k (or whatever the second from top end pants are). They were lighter and still felt plenty protective and had great tailbone/spine protection that hugs the body. I didn't like the S19 and wanted to try on the ST16 which looked great but was out of stock everywhere. Ended up with the Tacklas because of their great reputation and the light weight.

Shoulders - replaced Vapor XXV's (slid around a bit during games and overkill), liked the ST6's and Reebok 6k, ended up with 4k's because they were basically no different than 6k's and I got a great deal on a new pair off Craigslist.

Elbows - replaced One55's (fit too big), liked the ST16's a lot but found a killer deal on some RBK 7k Pros that fit in between a medium and large and love them. Sorry, it was a one pair thing at a Play It Again Sports, they don't have a whole bunch of them or anything.

Shins - replaced One90's (fit a bit big), really only liked the Reebok 6k's out of anything I tried on...I probably could drop down to 13.5" shins if anyone made them but I couldn't find any. The One90/One95 shins fit better but the strap system isn't that great and the Reeboks pull a lot tighter.

Basically, I really thought the Easton ST6/ST16 line was really good stuff. A few years back when I bought a lot of my gear, I really liked the Vapor line, but the Eastons feel a little more natural for me. But I have a weird body shape so you really want to try them on.

I never heard of Tackla, i guess i'll check those out.

I play about 3-4 times a week (sometimes) but average 3 games in a beer league (D-C divs). I think i would just make this one time purchase of updating my equipment once and for all.

Bauer Pro-lightspeed are the shins i'm talking about!

thanks for the replies

I will be updating my equipment (Shoulders, Pants and Shins).

I've narrowed it down:

Shoulders:

S19 or X60

I love how both have the "floating chest" kinda technology.

Pants:

S19 or X60

Shins:

bauer pro -something i forgot what it was called.

My question, is bauer gear more ergonomic fitting or something? Or are both brands just a matter of personal pref.?

Is Easton fitting the normal fitting?

I wouldn't mind whichever, but i would choose the brand that is more a contoured fit.

Anyone have any light on this?

I have the S19 Shoulders and S17 Pants and love them both. I'm big though (6'4" & 235) but they fit me great, offer plenty of movement and stay put. Just my oppinion though.

I have the S19 Shoulders and S17 Pants and love them both. I'm big though (6'4" & 235) but they fit me great, offer plenty of movement and stay put. Just my oppinion though.

thanks!

And thanks for the replies everyone.