Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NextBobbyOrr

Base Hockey

a blade can be stiff and still absorb energy, its all in the structure and how it disperses that energy.

by your logic, a very soft blade made of rubber bands, cause rubber bands are soft, will completely absorb energy, right?

Well I'm not Mickz, but when I was on the phone, I was told that the Base Blades can take twice as much pressure as other blades. It's apparently that stiff. And that it naturally dampens passes.

Does it cure cancer too? Every manufacturer spins their product and the results are mixed, at best.

Really is starting to sound too good...

Every product sounds good before people actually use it. All you hear is good things from the manufacturer and the early adopters all love every product, for a number of reasons.

I don't believe that analogy exactly applies to a puck and blade, so i'll let the physics people hash it out from here.

I'm with you on this one. Doesn't seem like a good analogy to me.

Does it cure cancer too? Every manufacturer spins their product and the results are mixed, at best.

Every product sounds good before people actually use it. All you hear is good things from the manufacturer and the early adopters all love every product, for a number of reasons.

True, companies will naturally be trying to promote product, and you have given reasons in the past for early adopters to be overly partial to their new acquisition. But for me, at around $130 a stick, with a desired pattern unique to the company, it's a risk worth taking.

Care to elaborate? Either of you. I'm seriously trying to understand how this works.

Okay I'll try this: bullet stopping material. The bullet becomes completely crushed on impact, yet the wearer ultimately ends up not shot. That energy went into the vest or what have you, and I believe that material to be relatively rigid. Again analogies like this are not very precise, but that's a situation that I think illustrates the point.

I as well contacted Base Hockey. They emailed me their PDF file explaining the costs and options of their sticks. So I have everything picked out except the lie of the stick. To be honest I never had given much thought of that spec. But since i'm getting to choose, i thought i'd do it right. So what does the wear of tape indicate on the blade, being it the heel, mid, or toe? And how do I know what to choose?

On a second note, does anyone know the standard length of their intermediate and senior sticks already? I just emailed them, but thought maybe someone knows it here.

If you're wearing on the heel, lower lie, for toe wear the converse is true. If you're wearing in the middle that is generally the correct lie, but this is all subject to PP.

If you're wearing on the heel, lower lie, for toe wear the converse is true. If you're wearing in the middle that is generally the correct lie, but this is all subject to PP.

in general this is true and i agree, where there could be exceptions is if you're a big shooter but skate really low you would see alot of heel wear but a higher lie would still be the most appropriate.

Okay I'll try this: bullet stopping material. The bullet becomes completely crushed on impact, yet the wearer ultimately ends up not shot. That energy went into the vest or what have you, and I believe that material to be relatively rigid. Again analogies like this are not very precise, but that's a situation that I think illustrates the point.

A 9mm bullet fired at 1100 ft/sec (750 mph) has only about 50% more momentum than a hockey puck shot at 90 mph. The big factor is that the momentum of the bullet contacts the object it strikes at a very small point. The bullet proof vest doesn't absorb the momentum of the bullet, it disburses the force of the bullet over a larger area. When the bullet strikes the bullet-proof plate in the vest, the momentum of the bullet is spread over the entire surface area of the plate, as opposed to a small point (the tip of the bullet). The force then, is spread over a large area of your chest, instead of a bullet ripping through you. That's why you get a huge bruise on your chest (and sometimes broken ribs) when your vest gets struck by a bullet.

I'm not sure exactly how that translates to a hockey stick, though I suspect much of the improved "feel" of a stick over the last few years comes from finding the right balance of vibration reducing materials in the shafts and blades. Too much vibration provides a harsh feel, too little and you're not getting enough feedback from the stick.

Did anyone get a length on these?

A message from Base stated the "SR sticks are 60" total (top of shaft to blade)", while the INT are 57"

Im guessing the 60" is measured fromt the top of the shaft to the heel of the blade ???? because 60" standing tall seems short for a SR stick,...

A 9mm bullet fired at 1100 ft/sec (750 mph) has only about 50% more momentum than a hockey puck shot at 90 mph. The big factor is that the momentum of the bullet contacts the object it strikes at a very small point. The bullet proof vest doesn't absorb the momentum of the bullet, it disburses the force of the bullet over a larger area. When the bullet strikes the bullet-proof plate in the vest, the momentum of the bullet is spread over the entire surface area of the plate, as opposed to a small point (the tip of the bullet). The force then, is spread over a large area of your chest, instead of a bullet ripping through you. That's why you get a huge bruise on your chest (and sometimes broken ribs) when your vest gets struck by a bullet.

I'm not sure exactly how that translates to a hockey stick, though I suspect much of the improved "feel" of a stick over the last few years comes from finding the right balance of vibration reducing materials in the shafts and blades. Too much vibration provides a harsh feel, too little and you're not getting enough feedback from the stick.

Going from what you said, I'll further it by guessing that a stiff blade that dampens well would then have to effectively disperse the energy through the entirety of blade/stick in a relatively vibration free manner?

A message from Base stated the "SR sticks are 60" total (top of shaft to blade)", while the INT are 57"

Im guessing the 60" is measured fromt the top of the shaft to the heel of the blade ???? because 60" standing tall seems short for a SR stick,...

Yeah, same way other manufactures measure sticks haha

Going from what you said, I'll further it by guessing that a stiff blade that dampens well would then have to effectively disperse the energy through the entirety of blade/stick in a relatively vibration free manner?

That would make sense, maybe when I have some more free time I'll make a couple blades to experiment.

Well I thought I was done buying sticks after stocking up on One95's and TPS R10's, but I'm going to give this stick a shot. For the price it sounds great.

For a free sight, MSH sure costs me a lot of money :dry: .

Haha I know what you mean. Besides this, I saw the Canucks Team Outlet store that I just read about on MSH like yesterday or so. I go in, there's a new pair of TPS R8 gloves. I'm just thinking "Oh dude, that's good..but wait I just bought new gloves..and the whole Base hockey thing...Aww."

Haha well, I'm young and naive. And right now I'm kinda thinking, well how bad could it be?

Edit:This is a totally random question, and I'd feel quite stupid asking Base by phone or when I go(same with you guys but w/e), do you think if I do the custom thing, they'd let me get "Pro Stock" written on the back of the shaft, just for kicks?

Has anyone seen this link yet? Cliff Ronning on Canucks.com discuss Base Hockey Labs & sticks.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=536283&navid=DLVANhome

I was lucky enough to use one of these sticks. Played my best game with it, INSANE!!! I can't wait to get stick. I just ordered one :)

What were your thoughts when you used it? Just about the stick overall.

I'm super unsure how that relates to the thread if at all..or is it some inside joke?

You dont get it??? The company obviously "planted" a poster in this thread to hype their product. Notice how he only has one post.

You dont get it??? The company obviously "planted" a poster in this thread to hype their product. Notice how he only has one post.

Ohh haha okay..I didn't actually notice that bit. :facepalm: