Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

Standards slipping

I watched a number of pre-season games and a little bit of the games from last night and it seems like the penalty standards are starting to loosen up. Things that were a hook or a trip over the last couple years aren't resulting in penalties anymore. I just thought I would throw this out and see if anyone else had noticed anything similar and as something to watch over the course of the year.

I noticed in the Flyers/Pitt game, especially early. I thought it was just a case of the refs getting acclimated to regular season play, along with the players. I guess only time will tell. It's early.

The Oil/Flames game last night still had a lot of ticky tack calls. But I do agree, the standard is lower, the one play I noticed is after the forward dumps and chase, the D aren't being called as tight for giving him a bump or slight hold as he enters the zone.

I agree with chippa, I've seen a slow slide since last year. What is worse and has to be frustrating for the players is that the refs are calling the impediment fouls inconsistently. In the Wild vs Carolina game, Barker got away with a couple late 90s style picks on forecheckers and then got called for a pick on a player who had just dumped the puck around him. Totally a penalty, but not by the standard the refs were calling earlier in the game.

anyone watch the overtime period for the Carolina Minnesota game today? apparently they overlooked a few penalties including ruutu "jabbing" backstrom or something.

I thought the same thing after watching this mornings game and last nights. If they're consistant about it I guess we can't complain to much but I'd hate to see things go pre-lockout with the non calls

I'll just put my referee gripe in here too. I really hope it wasn't intentional but Wes McCauley was brutally one-sided tonight and my team wasn't playing. Guys doing peewee games don't blow penalty shot calls like that, but somehow an NHL ref does?

Just got home from the Wings game and I would completely agree. The refs hardly called anything that should have been called. It went well beyond the standards of the "New NHL". There was some blatant crap that wasn't called at all. Game got exciting... Especially when Datsyuk throws down in a decent fight. Gordie Howe Hatty for Dats.

I'll just put my referee gripe in here too. I really hope it wasn't intentional but Wes McCauley was brutally one-sided tonight and my team wasn't playing. Guys doing peewee games don't blow penalty shot calls like that, but somehow an NHL ref does?

This. I'm pretty biased but thought that call was aweful.