Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mug25

Best Drills for Crossovers

On ice...circles without a doubt. Go around each circle 2x, switching directions. Works both edges well. Then switch to backwards circles...that will work your edges and significantly increase your balance. One of the consistent drills I do at EVERY jungle....talk about the burn!

Off ice the best drills for balance are running crossovers. Usually do those in the summer for pre-ice conditioning. To be honest, nothing works better than circles on the ice.

On ice...circles without a doubt. Go around each circle 2x, switching directions. Works both edges well. Then switch to backwards circles...that will work your edges and significantly increase your balance. One of the consistent drills I do at EVERY jungle....talk about the burn!

Off ice the best drills for balance are running crossovers. Usually do those in the summer for pre-ice conditioning. To be honest, nothing works better than circles on the ice.

Hopefully someday I can get to a point where I can do that...

One drill that NHLers use is similar to the scissor skating similar to that first video. The difference is they use the outside edges skating back and forth. For example, in the first video posted, the players are skating inwards (left skate inner edge to the right side of the body, then left skate inner edge to the left side of the body). NHLers to build hip strength on the ice will skate outwards (left skate outer edge to the left side of the body, and then right skate outer edge to the right side of the body). This is a bit hard to do but once you have enough strength and skill the pushes with the inner leg during crossovers will be very powerful.

Regarding Buff sabers minor hockey skating drills, I couldn't find it online anymore. So I uploaded the second part that had the major crossover drill. If anyone wants to the part one and part three let me know and I'll upload them as well

Yes, please upload the other two parts. That is an outstanding video series.

Thanks!

One drill that NHLers use is similar to the scissor skating similar to that first video. The difference is they use the outside edges skating back and forth. For example, in the first video posted, the players are skating inwards (left skate inner edge to the right side of the body, then left skate inner edge to the left side of the body). NHLers to build hip strength on the ice will skate outwards (left skate outer edge to the left side of the body, and then right skate outer edge to the right side of the body). This is a bit hard to do but once you have enough strength and skill the pushes with the inner leg during crossovers will be very powerful.

Regarding Buff sabers minor hockey skating drills, I couldn't find it online anymore. So I uploaded the second part that had the major crossover drill. If anyone wants to the part one and part three let me know and I'll upload them as well

Guys, I would just be careful and not post more. From what I know from John C.(in video above)this stuff is going to be available commercially very soon. He has worked really hard on his material, and I hate to see him not roll it out on his terms. Thanks. Bob

Edit: I guess the videos are available right from the Sabres site, sorry. I guess they are no secret. He does have something coming out, and I will post it when I know more. Sorry.

Guys, I would just be careful and not post more. From what I know from John C.(in video above)this stuff is going to be available commercially very soon. He has worked really hard on his material, and I hate to see him not roll it out on his terms. Thanks. Bob

Not like it's a secret project if it's on a site like YouTube. Videos are uploaded there for people to watch and share.

Not like it's a secret project if it's on a site like YouTube. Videos are uploaded there for people to watch and share.

It turns out that these videos are posted right on the Sabres site, so post them away if you'd like. There must be another batch soon to be released, or he is going to sell good quality copies of this. I am sorry for the bungle.

His brother and brother in law are two of my closest friends. When I mentioned seeing the video, the response I got was "Oh yeah, I'm supposed to help him get a website together to sell those." I figured John might not appreciate them being spread around. I had no idea these were already on the team site. I apologize. I was just trying to look out for a really decent and hardworking guy.

However, you do realize that people illegally post stuff to YouTube all the time and it is not cool. Do you two not realize this?

It turns out that these videos are posted right on the Sabres site

where? can't find it. looked under Sabres Tv in the features section.

It turns out that these videos are posted right on the Sabres site, so post them away if you'd like. There must be another batch soon to be released, or he is going to sell good quality copies of this. I am sorry for the bungle.

His brother and brother in law are two of my closest friends. When I mentioned seeing the video, the response I got was "Oh yeah, I'm supposed to help him get a website together to sell those." I figured John might not appreciate them being spread around. I had no idea these were already on the team site. I apologize. I was just trying to look out for a really decent and hardworking guy.

However, you do realize that people illegally post stuff to YouTube all the time and it is not cool. Do you two not realize this?

All good, I do realize stuff is posted illegally but stand by my statement. Let him know his videos are appreciated.

Another drill for crossovers I forgot about is running up a hill sideways. Crossing your feet over while running up a hill will also help with your muscle memory and you'll gain strength as well.

All good, I do realize stuff is posted illegally but stand by my statement. Let him know his videos are appreciated.

Will do, and I will also let you know if any new videos from Jon turn up.

Like others have said, work on gliding on your outside edge around the circles and when you become a little more comfortable, try to stay within the marks of the face off dots as you glide. As you cross over with your outside leg you want to be also pushing that inside leg out to the side, almost pointing your toe up at the ceiling. As you cross over with your outside leg, bending that knee will allow you to push out further. Remember your upper body helps direct your lower body. Look where you want to go and open up your shoulders/chest to face the inside. A good drill you can do is as you go around the circle when you come to the hashmarks, hold your crossover and try to extend your inside leg further than the hashmark, leg out to the side, trying to point your toe towards the ceiling.

I found this to be useful; it was the exagerated motions from this video that made it "click" for me. I saw that he was holding the edge for a long time and when I learned to do that I found that could hold the edge as I brought down the skate that is "crossing over" and allowing me to push and start over.

skating-skill-practice.html'>cross overs.... the basics

The next thing is to transition to the inside edge

cross-over - part deux

(I hope the links work; it's the first time trying this)