Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

True North

Best GTA Store for new stick for my little guy

I have an 8 yr old who plays AAA hockey and I need to get him a new stick as he is outgrowing his current stick

I used to get his sticks online from this company that was recommended to me but they seem to have gone out of business (www.bbsticks.com makers of the Black Beauty stick)

Had I known I would have bought a whole bunch of extras...but I didn't so I am SOL. I am planning on taking him to try out a few sticks but I want to find the best store to try out new sticks for my son.

I live in richmond Hill, Ontario but would be willing to travel pretty much anywhere in the GTA. I want helpful but not pushy staff. I also hate the old curmudgeon types who have that 'baaaah, he doesen't need that stick, here is this straight wood one I used to use when I was 8' type attitude

Your suggestions are appreciated, thanks

I dont see why an 8 year old would need anything more than a wood stick, it's not like he's at the size, or has the technique to used a 200 dollar stick the right way. Stick to sher woods, it will do him favors in the long run.

I don't know of any stores around that area, but for your son I would recommend the 2010 Easton ST stick with a Zetterberg curve. If he is playing at the caliber you say he is anyway.

the two best places i've found for sticks in the GTA is either Pro Hockey Life or Hockey Experts.

There's a pro hockey life in Vaughan Mills, and there's a Hockey Experts in Scarborough. I like both places, since the staff generally know something about hockey and there is a large selection. Both stores will let you try the stick in the RapidShot shot trainer thing. It's quite neat, and I've never been pressured to buy anything there before.

Good luck!

Pro Hockey Life in Vaughan Mills is THE place to go IMO.

Variety, a great shopping experience and you can even try the sticks :)

I dont see why an 8 year old would need anything more than a wood stick, it's not like he's at the size, or has the technique to used a 200 dollar stick the right way. Stick to sher woods, it will do him favors in the long run.

I have never bought him a $100 stick let alone a $200 stick so I have no idea where you are getting that from. You would be surprised how much technique he and other AAA kids his age have. He is not using a wood stick now, nor will he be moving to one in the near future, thanks for your feedback.

I don't know of any stores around that area, but for your son I would recommend the 2010 Easton ST stick with a Zetterberg curve. If he is playing at the caliber you say he is anyway.

I will check it out thanks

the two best places i've found for sticks in the GTA is either Pro Hockey Life or Hockey Experts.

There's a pro hockey life in Vaughan Mills, and there's a Hockey Experts in Scarborough. I like both places, since the staff generally know something about hockey and there is a large selection. Both stores will let you try the stick in the RapidShot shot trainer thing. It's quite neat, and I've never been pressured to buy anything there before.

Good luck!

Pro Hockey Life in Vaughan Mills is THE place to go IMO.

Variety, a great shopping experience and you can even try the sticks :)

I was thinking Pro Hockey Life and Hockey Experts as well. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some independant hidden gem in the GTA. I always liked the fact that both of the aforementioned give the opportunity to try out the sticks before buying them.

there's no hope in trying to convince parents of this anymore. I show up at my cousins squirt game and see one maybe two woodies lol. It's not like they are taking clappers which would compromise the blade. I don't see how a composite stick would benefit someone that young.

there's no hope in trying to convince parents of this anymore. I show up at my cousins squirt game and see one maybe two woodies lol. It's not like they are taking clappers which would compromise the blade. I don't see how a composite stick would benefit someone that young.

It's not about benefit. It's about little Johnny wanting to use what _______ superstar is using in the NHL.

It's not about benefit. It's about little Johnny wanting to use what _______ superstar is using in the NHL.

Ladies...I hate to interrupt your hate-on but it drives me nuts when people make false assumptions. I'm sorry you have such a negative view and experience with your customers (or whatever), but my kid has never used a 'branded' stick with an NHL'ers name on it. The two types of sticks he has used were chosen for many reasons but none of them were based on the brand or an endorsee. So while I am sorry you are so dissapointed with childrens stick choices (of all things to worry about), why don't you start your own thread where you can complain to your hearts content. If you have a recommendation for a store or a stick that would be great. If you want to whine endlessly about 'kids these days' take it somewhere please and thanks.

Ladies...I hate to interrupt your hate-on but it drives me nuts when people make false assumptions. I'm sorry you have such a negative view and experience with your customers (or whatever), but my kid has never used a 'branded' stick with an NHL'ers name on it. The two types of sticks he has used were chosen for many reasons but none of them were based on the brand or an endorsee. So while I am sorry you are so dissapointed with childrens stick choices (of all things to worry about), why don't you start your own thread where you can complain to your hearts content. If you have a recommendation for a store or a stick that would be great. If you want to whine endlessly about 'kids these days' take it somewhere please and thanks.

I gave you a recommendation earlier in the thread. You're the one who chose to take a more or less true statement and then whine about it.

EDIT: To clarify, I have no problem with kids using composite sticks. However, 9/10 kids under the age of 10 (roughly) won't be able to take advantage of nor recognize the benefits of flex, lie, curve, kick point, etc...

composites are the new standard, what's so wrong with an 8 year old using them?

probably 75% of the people playing hockey in north America are using sticks that don't benefit their game (wrong flex, wrong lie, etc) how many people pay big bucks to to pick up an ovi clone that have no business using a toe curve, or skate around with 110 flex sticks that can't even take a proper shot.

true north's son plays aaa hockey. kid obviously has some idea on what he's doing out there, and if dad feels that there's value in composite, so be it. answer his question and move on.

TN, could you at least explain why you chose a composite over a wood stick? I'm quite intrigued......

In general my experience has been that there is a lack of selection of wood sticks in many of the stores I have been to. I am sure it is intentional to get parents/kids on the composite train I think it's also indicative of the % of sales that are now composite based.

In reality, his first couple of sticks were wood. The first was basically a flat peice of wood so we could determine which way he was most comfortable shooting.

The stick he has used for the last two seasons was chosen because the company specialized in creating a lie angle and blade size that was ideal for children. The lie was ideal because the majority of the bottom of the blade was touching the ice while playing due to a suitable lie angle. Second, the blade was larger than most which allowed for easier and better stick handling. The fact that the stick was composite was acutally irrelavent to me at the time, but go find a wood stick with all of the above attributes.....good luck.

I am not going back to wood for him becuase most of his significant development and experience has now been on composite and it is what he is used to playing with.

I mean if he's willing to shell out on composites why not let him get what he wants for his kid?

In any case maybe try out the Base Hockey sticks, Idk if they make them in Juniors but they are slightly cheaper and you can get a custom pattern and color and such for him. If that doesn't work you could always go with the lower end composites too for em cause they make some in Youth flexes. A higher end twig you could get em the new ST from Easton which should be pretty durable for a good price.

Majer Hockey

4610 Dufferin Street, North York, ON M3H 5S4

Telephone : 416-736-7444

Just Hockey Source For Sports

900 Don Mills Road‚ Unit #6

TORONTO, ON

M3C 1V6

Phone:416-445-5700

Of course, I'm sure you're aware of the National Sports around the GTA. I believe Pro Hockey charges a fee to try out the stick unless you buy it.

I believe Pro Hockey charges a fee to try out the stick unless you buy it.

last time i was there they weren't charging anymore, and you could basically try out any stick in the store for free, regardless of whether you were buying it or not.

last time i was there they weren't charging anymore, and you could basically try out any stick in the store for free, regardless of whether you were buying it or not.

I guess they've changed their policy recently. If I remember correctly they wanted $5 to try out the stick at RapidShot, which would be reimbursed if I end up buying the stick. That was about a year ago though.

In general my experience has been that there is a lack of selection of wood sticks in many of the stores I have been to. I am sure it is intentional to get parents/kids on the composite train I think it's also indicative of the % of sales that are now composite based.

In reality, his first couple of sticks were wood. The first was basically a flat peice of wood so we could determine which way he was most comfortable shooting.

The stick he has used for the last two seasons was chosen because the company specialized in creating a lie angle and blade size that was ideal for children. The lie was ideal because the majority of the bottom of the blade was touching the ice while playing due to a suitable lie angle. Second, the blade was larger than most which allowed for easier and better stick handling. The fact that the stick was composite was acutally irrelavent to me at the time, but go find a wood stick with all of the above attributes.....good luck.

I am not going back to wood for him becuase most of his significant development and experience has now been on composite and it is what he is used to playing with.

I see. Good luck trying to find something similar. The blades will be short again and the lie's don't vary much.

It doesn't my daughter is 11 and still uses wood stick...We both like the fact its a little heavier, which will in turn make her a bit stronger.

8 years old? Never ceases to amaze me the parents that will shell out big bucks, for equiptment that will never make thier child any better. Isn't it just a pack a kids falling and all chasing the puck at 8 yrs old? lol

It doesn't my daughter is 11 and still uses wood stick...We both like the fact its a little heavier, which will in turn make her a bit stronger.

8 years old? Never ceases to amaze me the parents that will shell out big bucks, for equiptment that will never make thier child any better. Isn't it just a pack a kids falling and all chasing the puck at 8 yrs old? lol

That's what I figured but everyone else seems to think otherwise.

You guys do realize with composites you can add end plugs to them to extend life of stick? That's why 90% use composites, most are that 50 dollar one, too.

Tldr, composites are cheaper for growing kids.3 woodies are 25 a piece, 50 composite plus 10 bucks in end plugs is cheaper

You guys do realize with composites you can add end plugs to them to extend life of stick? That's why 90% use composites, most are that 50 dollar one, too.

Tldr, composites are cheaper for growing kids.3 woodies are 25 a piece, 50 composite plus 10 bucks in end plugs is cheaper

to be more specific, I don't understand why kids need the top of the line sticks. I don't see to many lower end composites at my cousins "AAA" games even though no one really knows how to shoot.

I've bought composites for my kids (slightly older), simply because they seem to last much longer than the woodies for the rec hockey they play. The wood stick blades generally absorbed moisture and started splitting within a month or two, but the composites are still going strong. One of them is well into his second season with the same stick.

Regarding the store selection, there's really not much difference. You'll get better selection at Pro hockey life in Vaughn (although the distinct possiblity you'll be buying a used stick from the rapidshot, which irks me) but likely better pricing if you go to the National Sports during one of their frequent sales.

good luck.