Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjtt99

Garter belt vs. shorts with velcro

Howdy. This morning I blew a garter (uh, let me rephrase that).

My "old fashioned" garter belt died this morning so I'm wondering if I should replace it with the fancy shorts with the velcro or stick with what I'm use to.

Based on your experience what are the pros & cons of the new velcro shorts? (I have to admit, I may find it hard to be manly without my garter ;-)

Cheers,

JJ

Velcro shorts break and don't......"support" me as well as a guarder and jock combo. I've tried to switch to a short combo a few times, but always end up dissappointed. The velco always seems to get twisted and stick into my legs as well.

Howdy. This morning I blew a garter (uh, let me rephrase that).

My "old fashioned" garter belt died this morning so I'm wondering if I should replace it with the fancy shorts with the velcro or stick with what I'm use to.

Based on your experience what are the pros & cons of the new velcro shorts? (I have to admit, I may find it hard to be manly without my garter ;-)

Cheers,

JJ

Go with the velcro! I switched last year and it was then I realized how much the garter resticted my skating. Seriously, everyone I know pretty much uses them, you won't regret it.

Velcro shorts break and don't......"support" me as well as a guarder and jock combo. I've tried to switch to a short combo a few times, but always end up dissappointed. The velco always seems to get twisted and stick into my legs as well.

Well there's two completly opposite reveiws. ;)

I like the compression shorts/velcro combo. Some of them don't hold up as well as others but I never have any other problems with them.

The shorts are far more comfortable. I finally gave in a bought a pair and I don't regret it at all.

get some nice shorts, they'll beat jock+garter any day. just make sure you replace the tabs that they have covering the velcro, or else the velcro's gonna shred your shorts

Compression short w/velcro for me as well. I've used garter belts as well for a short time but I like the convenience of velcro alot more, especially on those cold mornings where my fingers are too numb to fudge with the clips. My velcro short has lasted me for several years and running. All I had was some some loose threading on one velcro patch but had that easily fixed.

On the other hand, the banana cup protects better than just a frontal cup IMO, not sure which velcro short supports it (pardon the pun). I guess it depends on how often you think you'll get hooked in the crotch.

I've always had issues with the velcro holding my socks for an entire game. I use the wsi compression short with a garter belt built in, and I love it. Only problem is making sure the little plastic tabs don't get lost.

I've always had durability problems with most shorts (sometimes the results of the velcro and sometimes not), so I prefer the garter. No problems on the ice either.

I've skated in WSI and T3k jocks...have a problem with the cup adjusting during play. I just found a pair of Trifilar Eliminators - cotton short but it has a conventional jockstrap built in. Absolutely beautiful...

hey jr, I'm just wondering. I've heard things about the itech lycra and other compression type shorts in which the cup doesn't sit quite properly and that you can get sticked in the balls from underneath. I currently wear a banana jock in my itech shorts and there's no prob. The velcro is dying and things are getting quite toasted and I'm thinking of moving to the lycra ones. Just worrying about the jock though

I have had the standard yellow Itech short jock and it worked very well for me.

Then I bought an Itech compression short jock. The short and velcro are great, but as there are no straps to hold the cup in place (the cup justs sits in a front pocket of the compression short), the cup would just float around crazily, so I couldn't ever feel comfortable/safe.

Last I bought was an WSI Pro Compression Short jock. Great strech fabric and velcros but same "floating cup"-issue. I ended up buying a reg jock (with straps) and wear it under the compression short. Not a very satisfying solution.

I just hope that one day they'll make a good compression short that has a "classic" cup with straps inside. I guess I'll have to wait forever.

I've been using the Shockdoctor compression short with velcro for a few months now. Finding the protection stays where it should be as opposed to my old Itech. Comfortable and so far durability isn't an issue.

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I'm getting old as I just replaced my garter with a new one. I'll leave you young bucks to be on the bleeding edge to determine what latest and greatest idea are actually worth trying.

JJ

I've skated in WSI and T3k jocks...have a problem with the cup adjusting during play. I just found a pair of Trifilar Eliminators - cotton short but it has a conventional jockstrap built in. Absolutely beautiful...

I agree, I have a WSI compression short jock with garter belt built in and the cup shifts way too much to the point where after a few minutes of skating the cup is going into "me" and really hurts, I can't wear them anymore.

I've been using the Shockdoctor compression short with velcro for a few months now. Finding the protection stays where it should be as opposed to my old Itech. Comfortable and so far durability isn't an issue.

Agreed.

I've been using the loose fit SD and it's worked really well. The cups stays where it should and it does come under a bit to protect underneath. The cup shape is really cool as well. I switched from and Itech and for the first few skates I had to keep checking to see if the cup was there because it doesn't rub against your leg or move around.