Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

freestyla

Derek Boogaard found dead

From Michael Russo of the Star Tribune, via Twitter:

Derek Boogaard’s manner of death is accidental mixture of alcohol and oxycodone toxicity - per Hennepin Cty ME

Who didn't see that coming? And seriously how is that an accident? Lack of common sense or a suicide attempt if anything.

If it's suicide (it looks like it imo...), it's beyond what most (all?) of us can comprehend or understand why. RIP

Do you guys think that if it comes back that he had degenerative brain disease, it may force the NHL to alter their stance on fighting? I'm not saying they'll eliminate it completely, but possibly try to phase out the enforcer role by placing a limit on the number of fights a guy can have before receiving a major suspension?

That's a great question.

Not to be too maudlin, but it depends whether the owners think of their players as commodities or humans. If they think of them as humans, they'll ultimately enact sincere reforms like the one you're suggesting to limit the number of blows to the head; if they think of their players as commodities, they'll give lip service about the issue not being researched enough, not wanting to change the game, the players do a good job of policing themselves, yadda, yadda, yadda.

It's similar to the position the NFL is in where dozens of former players are claiming the NFL is ignoring their health problems and that the NFL's response has been nothing but band-aids.

I don't see suicide here at all. Mixing pills and booze is a common method for women, most men choose to use methods that are more certain of success like fire arms or jumping. I think what it comes down to is a guy in his 20's that didn't take the warnings on his medications very seriously. I have four or five friends with ulcers and other stomach problems from not taking meds with food as per the instructions because they thought of them more as a guideline than a rule. It's a tragic accident, there's no one here to blame.

it's also something that may metabolize strangely and sit around for a bit. or he may have chewed the pills and released the drug all at once with or without realizing it. so much could have happened to create any sort of conclusion. all i can say is it makes it even more tragic that it was something avoidable...

This article pretty much lays it all out. I can vouch that Tom Lynn is a really good and extremely smart guy. He captures the issue perfectly I think. If this causes the league and players to reconsider the role of fighting and to be more sensitive to head injuries (and all the implications of them, including depression and addiction) maybe Boogaard's death can be redeemed, however inadequately.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/122343949.html?page=1&c=y

Who didn't see that coming? And seriously how is that an accident? Lack of common sense or a suicide attempt if anything.

Or somebody who's luck ran out. Lots of guys are mixing pills and alcohol, but this line from the family makes me think Boogaard might have gotten addicted to his pain meds

"Derek had been showing tremendous improvement but was ultimately unable to beat this opponent,"

Either way, a guy who was loved is gone. Nothing is bringing him back to his family and friends.

Accident that he mixed drugs and alcohol? Not to be a dick but that's not an accident.

Well if you knew all about the situation then yes you are being one. He had been in discussions with the NHL abuse program for taking the drugs for his shoulder. As anyone that has medical background knows this is very addictive drug. Should he have been given it? Well seeing as there is no history of abuse maybe?

You were not there you do not know if he took pills that day and had drinks that night so unless you were I would suggest that you keep suggestions that he did it on purpose or knew what was going to happen to your self.

Accident that he mixed drugs and alcohol? Not to be a dick but that's not an accident.

Making a comment like that means that A: you are being a dick and B: you know you're being a dick. That said, I think you're also badly mistaken.

I've known plenty of addicts in my life and seen the progression. A little does a lot at first. Then they have to take more to get that same feeling they got initially. Later, they have to take more. Eventually, they have to get help or the amount it takes to get that same feeling is more than their body can handle. I've lost too many friends to drugs and alcohol over the years and I'm thankful that I managed to break ties with them when I did or I could easily be on the streets or dead by now.

Well described Chadd.

I see this type of behaviour everyday at work. Addiction is a tough mother to beat! Oxycodone is commonly referred to hillbilly heroin. Once upon a time it was prescribed as a pain killer for cancer patients on their way out. Now it seems to be all too common of a prescription for people that are experiencing significant pain. In cases I've seen, the person has an injury but reports the pain to be much worse than an average person would report or the doctor would medically expect it to be. Eventually, the doctor will stop writing prescriptions for T3's and hand over the oxy so the patient has some quality of life that is pain free. Most of my clients will crush the pills and inject them to get a more instant hit but the effects last a similar period of time as heroin. Coming off of oxy is a lot like heroin; bad sickness over days and even weeks so the patient tends to chase the high to avoid becoming sick. I've seen a few overdoses on oxy where narcan is need to help regain symptoms of life. Sad, tragic cycle.

Now it seems to be all too common of a prescription for people that are experiencing significant pain. In cases I've seen, the person has an injury but reports the pain to be much worse than an average person would report or the doctor would medically expect it to be.

Around here it seems to be the drug of choice for those with "migranes". I'n shocked at how many people seem to have a prescription for it.

You were not there you do not know if he took pills that day and had drinks that night so unless you were I would suggest that you keep suggestions that he did it on purpose or knew what was going to happen to your self.

All I am saying is, I'm sure he was well aware of the effects of mixing the two and did not take the precautions necessary.

All I am saying is, I'm sure he was well aware of the effects of mixing the two and did not take the precautions necessary.

You're "sure"? At this point I'm "sure" that you don't know anything about the situation, like the rest of us. So as a result, you should probably keep the ignorant and inflammatory remarks yourself.

You're "sure"? At this point I'm "sure" that you don't know anything about the situation, like the rest of us. So as a result, you should probably keep the ignorant and inflammatory remarks yourself.

Talk about ignorant and inflammatory!!! And, yes I am trying to be ignorant and inflammatory in this reply.

Unless the US dispenses drugs differently than Canada, every prescription I get comes with product information papers which tells you about how to use and not use the medication. I think Joshison is making a valid fact based point since DB is no longer with us.

I think Joshison is making a valid fact based point since DB is no longer with us.

more like an inference, if anything. But I'll spare you an english lesson.

Talk about ignorant and inflammatory!!! And, yes I am trying to be ignorant and inflammatory in this reply.

Unless the US dispenses drugs differently than Canada, every prescription I get comes with product information papers which tells you about how to use and not use the medication. I think Joshison is making a valid fact based point since DB is no longer with us.

In case you didn't know, one of the side effects of addiction tends to be not properly using medication.

I think I have a pretty good grasp on the Engligh language.

I have worked in Federal Corrections in Canada dealing with addicts hands-on for 16 plus years. As a Correctional Officer, I have a very good understanding of addiction and the cycle of abuse addicts subject themselves to. I have worked in a maximum security facility for 9.5 years and I now work in a medium security for 7 years. In each facility I have worked on a substance-free unit (Intensive Support Unit) which offers counselling for all sorts of addiction. I have conduct urinalysis testing on inmates in the substance-free program. I am also certified to conduct random selection urinalysis where 10% of our population is selected on a random basis per month. I'm also certified to do "demand" urinalysis in cases which an inmate appears to be intoxicated.

I've had the misfortune to literally breathe life back into an inmate that had overdosed. I have worked feverishly with other CO's and ambulance attendants to revive an inmate that was found nearly dead due to a herion overdose. I've seen guys inject drugs into the viens between their toes because the veins in their arms have collapsed.

I've seen it all; good, bad and ugly!

For clarity:

Disposition doesn't specifically state Oxycodone....but Percocet found at the scene...which is a mix of Acetaminophen and Oxycodone. Usually found in smaller dosages than Oxycotin. It is not uncommon for chronic pain sufferers to increase dosages...think about how many times you took more Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen then recommended on the bottle with chronic pain? Without understanding the differences in chemicals, it is not uncommon for people to think they can do this with all medications.

The inclusion of alcohol consumption is particularly toxic with Oxycodone. In many cases it is written on contraindication pamphlets included by pharmacists...but certainly never emphasized during consultations. Think back to any prescriptions you received and you will most likely vaguely or never remember a doctor focusing on alcohol consumption and its affect.

My point...he may have never known that the mixture of the two was a recipe for death. Most people don't read the contents of their prescription documentation and are rarely informed of the dangers of other chemical interactions. Hell, most doctors focus on driving or operating heavy machinery in consultations and completely skip over the dangers of alcohol use.

I think I have a pretty good grasp on the Engligh language.

I have worked in Federal Corrections in Canada dealing with addicts hands-on for 16 plus years.......

I wasn't questioning your personal experiences with addiction. I guess I'll just explain my position.

The ME officially ruled his death "due to a toxic mix of alcohol and the powerful painkiller oxycodone". These are the only details that were released. Everyone has since jumped the gun to that it was an overdose, based on the fact that he was in the leagues Substance Abuse and Behavioral health program. No one wants to even ENTERTAIN the idea that he may have been in the program for depression or some other type of behavioral health issue.

Joshison went on to say "All I am saying is, I'm sure he was well aware of the effects of mixing the two and did not take the precautions necessary."

No one is "sure" of anything, besides the fact that he died "due to a toxic mix of alcohol and the powerful painkiller oxycodone", and was in treatment for some type of Substance abuse/Mental health issue. It could be either or both, no one knows. That's why I said the statement was ignorant and inflammatory. There is no facts to back a statement like that.

You then came in with "I think Joshison is making a valid fact based point since DB is no longer with us."

My issue with that is there was no "fact" ever established. If anything he was inferring that he was well aware. There is no fact involved.

My point is......beyond the two facts I mentioned early in this post, and various tidbits from friends (none of which mentioned a substance abuse problem, but a few mentioned him being down about not being able to play after suffering the concussion) no one knows anything. Its an unfortunate accident, and irresponsible to label it as anything else.