Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J03

How do I take a better slap shot?

I can get a decent slap shot off, but I have this problem where the bottom of the blade (closer to the heel) gets scratched up, and I've made some of my sticks start to chip the composite off the blade from doing this. It must be the way I'm shooting, because I don't think that's normal. Just to be clear, I'm talking about on the ice.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but any tips or advice would be helpful.

It could be the lie of your stick as well...

I have the Kane curve, and the lie is 6.

I don't think that's it, my friend has the same exact curve and doesn't have this problem. I think I'm just shooting in a certain way, but I don't see what I'm doing wrong, and it sucks because it's affecting how long my sticks last.

since both sticks have the same exact curve (and providing the playing length is the same), you still have a major variable at hand; technique. you may want to work with your friend or perhaps work with an instructor on improving your technique.

maybe get your buddy to watch you shoot, or video tape it and post

That would probably be a good idea. I've tried angling the blade differently and everything while shooting, it's annoying that this is even a problem, haha.

Heh, I just wish I could take one at all. The one and only time I've tried was in a game this past Sunday. Puck popped out, was in the slot, nobody around me, and I wound up... and fanned completely.

There's just no real time I can learn. There is no sticktime here, and I don't touch the puck often enough in pickup and games to ever get a chance to take a slapshot. I can watch all the technique videos I want, but without practice it's not gonna happen.

Take less ice, go more through the puck than down into the ice. Yes, you need a little down force to help load the stick, but most amateur shooters use way too much. Also, don't waste energy taking the stick up and putting it down. There's no need to bring your stick any higher than your waist.

I wonder if that's something I could practice with a half-speed swing against the side boards well enough. It was embarrassing to whiff like that in a game. Would have been a GWG had it gone in, too.

I have the Kane curve, and the lie is 6.

I don't think that's it, my friend has the same exact curve and doesn't have this problem. I think I'm just shooting in a certain way, but I don't see what I'm doing wrong, and it sucks because it's affecting how long my sticks last.

Just because a certain pattern and lie works for your friend, that doesn't mean that it will work for you. It is possible that you are hammering the heel into the ice when you're shooting or you could just need a stick with a slightly lower lie. Without seeing you shoot, noone really knows.

Just because a certain pattern and lie works for your friend, that doesn't mean that it will work for you. It is possible that you are hammering the heel into the ice when you're shooting or you could just need a stick with a slightly lower lie. Without seeing you shoot, noone really knows.

Well I don't really care for any other curves; this curve is perfect for me. But yeah like I said, it has to be how I'm shooting. I don't have a camera that I can use, so I'll just have to talk to some of my friends about shooting and whatnot.

About how much of the ice do you need? Is there an ideal measurement?

Enough to make your stick bend when you shoot. Unfortunately, too many people use sticks that are way too stiff and end up having to put way too much pressure into the ice to get them to load.

I don't have a camera that I can use, so I'll just have to talk to some of my friends about shooting and whatnot.

Find a coach and get a private lesson. It's the best investment that you can make when you are just starting the game.

About how much of the ice do you need? Is there an ideal measurement?

Usually its player preference but at most of the shooter training camps I taught at 3 or 4 inches behind the puck is more than enough depending on how much you bend your outside knee.

I agree with Chadd. After reading a few of his remarks I went to lower flexes which helped alot with my wrist shots and especially slap shots as it took alot less loading and i could focus more on technique rather than trying to load and flex the stick.

another thing I found that really helped were shooting classes. I know the city of mississauga here in the GTA offers shooting programs for pretty cheap, so does Canlan.

one last bit of advice and this also helped and was something I learned. You have to get the puck into your "wheel house/sweet spot", keep your knees bent and sit a bit, dont take a big wind up, during follow through through bend your back knee a bit to dig into the shot a bit more, follow through and RELAX when shooting. focus on technique at first and the power will come on its own.

sorry for the long post, but hope it helps.

I can get a decent slap shot off, but I have this problem where the bottom of the blade (closer to the heel) gets scratched up, and I've made some of my sticks start to chip the composite off the blade from doing this. It must be the way I'm shooting, because I don't think that's normal. Just to be clear, I'm talking about on the ice.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but any tips or advice would be helpful.

J03, have you tried any youtube? i know youtube has a lot of instructional video's that may help with a slap shot, if you are just playing mens league like i am not sure how often you will be using a slapper, but i use a snap shot on 90% of my shots and the rest are backhands and wrist shots. Hopefully there is something useful on you tube for you

I had a pretty good slapper, but I made it a lot better by praticing to get a faster motion. Less time for poeple to get in front of it, and lots of velocity.

I had a pretty good slapper, but I made it a lot better by praticing to get a faster motion. Less time for poeple to get in front of it, and lots of velocity.

You don't need to get faster with your motion, just shorten your windup. There's no need to bring the stick back above your waist.

You don't need to get faster with your motion, just shorten your windup. There's no need to bring the stick back above your waist.

I know, I missed what I wanted to tell (language problem). I just wanted to say that speeding up from having the puck to the shot, your shot become better. I don't know want science is behind that, but since I worked on this, I had a lot more assists than I had in the past (because I let the NHLers doing top shelf lazer beam, going 6 inches over the ice is less dangerous for rec hockey, and get a lot of rebound)

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

It's all about technique. You don't need to be on the ice to practice, your garage, basement or even a living room is good enough. Have a look at the tape to tape device, search youtube for some examples of how you can use this to improve your slap shot eg a guy called Jonathon has a good video on how he has set it up in his basement and uses it to improve his one timers. You don't even need to hit slap shots to improve. You can be at home with a net, a plastic board and some pucks - hit 200 wristers every day, focusing on shooting off both legs (inside leading, inside only, outside leading, outside only, in front and side on). You will find that when you return to trying to hit a slap shot, things will work a lot better and come a lot easier. At the end of the day it's all about practice.

And if you are chipping the heel the lie is to high for how you currently are hitting it, more like a golf swing. Get some practice under your belt and once your body has learnt the motion, then you can have a look at your lie again.

From the sounds of it the lie might be a little off or possible your stick isn't the right height. Are you and your buddy the same height? I actually experienced this problem last night with my new shaft. I put my same old blade into a longer shaft that my buddy gave me. The lie on the stick now is a bit low causing my blade's heel to ride on the ice more, causing my toe to be up in the air a bit more. It's really annoying to be honested. I missed a few passes I would normally get and didn't play as well as I would have liked. Maybe try a longer/shorter stick to see if that changes the point of contact on the blade.

Hockeytraincrew

Play->Train-> Win!

From the sounds of it the lie might be a little off or possible your stick isn't the right height. Are you and your buddy the same height? I actually experienced this problem last night with my new shaft. I put my same old blade into a longer shaft that my buddy gave me. The lie on the stick now is a bit low causing my blade's heel to ride on the ice more, causing my toe to be up in the air a bit more. It's really annoying to be honested. I missed a few passes I would normally get and didn't play as well as I would have liked. Maybe try a longer/shorter stick to see if that changes the point of contact on the blade.

Hockeytraincrew

Play->Train-> Win!

If the toe is up, the lie is actually too high for that shaft length, not too low.

Question on this one. What's the best way to properly come through a shot? IE: what should I be feeling directly after I make first contact with the puck? I know you can't really "pick" the puck, but should I be concentrating on trying to keep the blade in contact with the ice for as long as possible or just enough to make contact with the puck?

My shot is wildly inconsistent, not so much with height anymore as it is "quality." I can make a pretty good shot in one instance where the puck seems to fly towards it's intended target, but if try to take that shot again chances are just as good that it produces more of a "knuckling" shot that seems to flutter.