Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Versus will change name to NBC Sports Network

I didn't see mention of this, but it was in today's MEDIA COLUMN of the Boston Globe. The article states that NBC wants to build a similar look throughout its channels. No real mention in the article of what impact this will have on NHL telecasts.

Over the next few seasons, we'll see more games on NBC and what will become NBC Sports Net. Even though they were NHL partners, there was still this weird divide between the two before the merger. Aside from graphics and presentation, we'll end up seeing the same analysts now for both networks...that's pretty much it.

Dave Strader will be calling a lot of games as well. He left the Coyotes for NBC Sports Network. Hopefully with the rebranding some cable companies, COX Communications I'm talking about you, won't charge extra for the channel and include it in with the ESPN's, etc.

This has been in the works for about two years. NBC will combine their sports division with the former VS folks, much like ABC did with ESPN. The co-branding makes a lot of sense as any promotion for NBC, promotes NBC sports and vice-versa.

I hadn't heard about Strader.

I got an email that his job was available, didn't know where he went though.

whats wrong with 100 regular season games being televised? that way you can have 18 games for teams that aren't the penguins/caps/rangers/flyers/redwings/bruins

sigh.

The funny thing is the Bruins only joined the list in the last season or two, but based on the numbers during the playoffs it became apparent that there was a huge contingent of Boston hockey fans just waiting for the team to return to contention.

By the way, I just read yesterday that NBC Sports Network and MLS came to an agreement this week to start showing soccer games during the 2012 season. 38 regular-season games, three playoff games and two U.S. men’s national team matches each year, which apparently is more than either Fox or ESPN had done in the past.

The funny thing is the Bruins only joined the list in the last season or two, but based on the numbers during the playoffs it became apparent that there was a huge contingent of Boston hockey fans just waiting for the team to return to contention.

Many were just the typical bandwagon fans that only care if the team is winning a lot.

The list also excludes Minnesota. It seems like the Wild are on every two weeks all season long.

No doubt there would be fans jumping on as the team advanced in the playoffs, but NBC hit numbers that hadn't been hit in something like 35 years, in a city that: a) crushes the numbers in other sports, b) turned off to the Bruins because of lack of confidence in the owner, and c) used to be a hockey town above all else (people older than me have said that Bruins tickets were harder to obtain in the 60's than Celtic tickets, even though the success of each franchise was opposite, and the Red Sox didn't start selling until the 1967 season).

Add that up and it illustrates the point I've always said that Boston should have been one of the reasons we needed a lockout and a salary cap, and not be the ringleader for the cap as Jacobs was.

I often forget how spoiled we are in Canada to have so much hockey coverage. No wonder my lawn and garden looks so horrible. (I live in Vancouver.)

I often forget how spoiled we are in Canada to have so much hockey coverage. No wonder my lawn and garden looks so horrible. (I live in Vancouver.)

No kidding. Flames just announced all 82 games plus 2 or 3 pre season will be televised. I'm sure the oilers and canucks signed similar deals with the networks.

Hopefully this will improve the visibilty of the game. I still think its a shame how little coverage espn gives the nhl on sporslts center compared tp nba and nfl