Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lefty718

Best Cage for Visability

I actually wore a cage for the first time yesterday. One of my visor mounts was cracked and bend out of shape, so I just took it off until I have time to go in when the pro shop at the rink is open and get a replacement. I used the cage that comes as a combo pack with the V08 helmet. I didn't notice it at all when on the ice, visually or felt like it was there on my chin. I only noticed it when on the bench. The air flow is so much better with a cage!

imo it boils down to this....

if you want perfect visability buy a visor or go open face

if you want pretty decent visability and full face safety, wear a cage..

i dont think u'll notice a world of difference between going from cage to cage.

/thread

I don't think anyone said this before because it doesn't need to be said. It's pretty much a given. I also think people notice a difference between cages. Thats probably why there's a thread about it.

anyone have a review about the cateye cages? seems like that might be a happy medium between a cage(protection) and visor(vision)? for $10, on HT, think im going to give it a shot

Can't say as I have a proper review, but I did pick one up just to see what they were about. Initial impressions were that the bars were very thick and the "eye holes" were not as big as I had imagined. Seemed like it might have been heavy, too. Although to be fair, I didn't mount it. I'll shoot a couple pictures next time I'm at the shop (I just hung it up on the wall to see if anyone nibbled).

I actually wore a cage for the first time yesterday. One of my visor mounts was cracked and bend out of shape, so I just took it off until I have time to go in when the pro shop at the rink is open and get a replacement. I used the cage that comes as a combo pack with the V08 helmet. I didn't notice it at all when on the ice, visually or felt like it was there on my chin. I only noticed it when on the bench. The air flow is so much better with a cage!

I don't think anyone said this before because it doesn't need to be said. It's pretty much a given. I also think people notice a difference between cages. Thats probably why there's a thread about it.

nah. people are just looking for excuses on why they can't recieve passes etc

"ah man this cage is brutal"

meanwhile its probably perfectly fine and lots of people use it. they are just trying to make up for lack of skill. no offence, thats just my opinion.

:ph34r: umad?

nah. people are just looking for excuses on why they can't recieve passes etc

"ah man this cage is brutal"

meanwhile its probably perfectly fine and lots of people use it. they are just trying to make up for lack of skill. no offence, thats just my opinion.

:ph34r: umad?

Being annoying is bad enough. Trolling, on the other hand is unacceptable under any circumstances. When you come back after your seven day suspension, we expect you to behave more maturely.

The air flow is so much better with a cage!

It's almost TOO good. I recall when I first switched from a visor to a cage (one too many close calls for me... div5 is brutal for people not being able to keep their sticks down), I actually had problems with my eyes watering from the wind! lol

BTW, ended up sending back the black cages (I bought two, one L and one M just to try them both... the M ended up being better on my size L helmet), and exchanging for a tron jersey (I LOVE the tron jerseys, perfect balance of size and fit, material, and price). So if you count the original $20+shipping, plus the $10 to ship them back.. I basically just bought a $11 jersey for $30. Ah well, better an expensive practice jersey than two cages I'll never use....

I've worn the 480 cage for years, prior to that a different older model Jofa That was similar but the bar placement went right across my pupils and a Bauer 3000 when those first came out. I played last night with a Bauer 7500 and I am sold. I didn't think I'd ever find something I liked better than the 480, but the 7500 has a lower profile, slightly shorter length, and the flat wire bars just about disappear on the ice. Had to bend it in a bit to fit my V08 properly, but I'm plesantly surprised overall.

anyone have a review about the cateye cages? seems like that might be a happy medium between a cage(protection) and visor(vision)? for $10, on HT, think im going to give it a shot

I don't have experience with the HT model however I briefly wore a chrome catseye cage and it was pretty good (ended up selling it after a few games because I wanted certified facial protection). Obviously not as protective as a visor or full cage, but a moderate step up in protection from nothing.

I've had the 9900 for a few months and I'm a big fan. Now I found a fm480 online for a great price so i decided to give it a go since it was a lower profile and I liked the look. I put the 480 on my helmet and it was noticeably heavier and the visibility was worse. So even though it looked a little cooler than my 9900 it came right off and the 9900 was put right on.

I'll admit looks do matter to me on the ice. I half tuck my jersey, and I like all my equipment to be low profile. That being said function is much more important so I won't be making that sacrifice to look cooler.

To say there is no difference in the type of cage you choose is asinine.