Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lefty718

Best Cage for Visability

Whats up Guys!

Probably already know the answer to this by most is going to be the CCM 480.

The 480 is really a good looking cage, compared to all the rest that are out there. I'm using the older version in chrome made by Jofa.

Is Chrome really suppose to allow you to see better? Not really feeling the bling of it anymore, used it like 5 years ago when they were in. Thinking of switching to a black one, but don't want to sacrifice any type of visibility.

Thanks in advance guys!

Chrome reflects light way too much and black is just very annoying (just my personal experience). In my humble opinion Bauer is the best option because of the narrow wires and neutral gray color. It's also very light, which is just another plus. If you the like the 'oval' look of most Bauer cages there's the 7500 that looks kind of like the 480

There are definitely older threads on this - besides the 480 people mention the Bauer 9900 cage (lighter than standard steel and the bars are flat so it's easier to see through) and the Itech Titanium cage (lightest cage every manufactured). Someone that used both the 9900 and Titanium suggested that the Titanium was lighter, but the visability was slightly better with the 9900 and the flat bars. The Titanium cage could be hard to track down at this point since it's been out of production for a while. The Bauer 9900 should be easy to find.

Personally, I use a Titanium cage and I can tell you that it's very light, doesn't rust at all and the visability is better than any other cage I used in the past, but I haven't used the 9900. Both the 9900 and Itech titanium have a flat silver finish that isn't reflective.

After going through several different cages, including the 480 and Itech Ti, this is my favorite:

http://www.icewareho...ml?pcode=908I2B

Love the white interior. You wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference, but it really does.

That's actually the cage I was using before the Itech Titanium. The visability is good (the wire layout is the same as the Titanium), but it's not as light and can rust over time. I've used white, gun metal, silver and briefly a black cage and I can definitely say the black cage was the most distracting. I'd avoid black on the inside of the cage, but I didn't notice much of a difference between the white and the silver/grey cages as far as visibility goes. Maybe the white on the inside is slightly better (you would logically think it would be since it's closer to the colour of the ice), but I find it didn't take much to adjust to the grey colour of the titanium cage and would rather have the lighter cage that doesn't rust. That I2 cage is still a good cage, but having used both, I personally prefer the Titanium.

With that said, if I was buying a new cage today I'd seriously consider the Bauer 9900 with the flat bars. The flat bars are thinner than any cages I've seen with the exception of the 9500 (9500 looks like the same cage...I think they may have just relabelled the 9500 and called it the 9900). It's heavier than the Itech Ti, but is stainless steel so is more rust resistant that a standard cage and a bit lighter than standard cages. I'm happy with my Titanium now though and don't see changing anytime soon.

I find the 9500 has slightly better visibility because of the oval bars, but I'm currently using the titanium due to its weight. I haven't heard that the 9900 is different from the 9500.

I transitioned from a half-shield to a cage about 6 months ago or so... I bought an Itech Titanium since everyone raves about the weight. It was very lightweight but I found that using a size large on a size medium CCM V08 caused one of the bars to sit right in my main field of vision. I could not seem to unfocus from that bar...

I then got a Bauer 9900 but in a size large. Instantly found it to have better vision and the weight was not too heavy (the Itech is crazy lightweight). I stuck with the 9900.

I have since transitioned to Cascade helmets. I got one with a cage since it was only $10 more and I could use the mounting hardware! I played one game with it and it came off. The 9900 suited me better.

FWIW, the 9900 also has a nice chin cup. The basic foam cup on the Itech and Cascade were not as comfy on my chin.

ARIGHT...

So it seems everyone here's a big fan of the 9900.

I forgot to mention that I bought a 9700? (I believe) Nike/Bauer Titanium cage with my 4500 helmet. Only reason I'm not using it is because I prefer the look of the JOFA/CCM 480 over it. I think the 480's def the best cage out there, looks perfect IMO, wonder why CCM doesn't make it in the upgraded silver material. They have no idea how many sales they would make. I'm thinking of contacting them, and proposing the idea. Hey You never know...

Coming from half Shield- Any cage is def a big adaptation to switch over to. I hate it actually but need to get use to playing with one for college. After hearing all the bad reviews of black cages, I'm def not going to buy one.

Anyone out there with the 5K on a 4500 helmet?

I never noticed the difference in the chin cup between the titanium and the 9500. The full beard may have something to do with that.

ARIGHT...

I forgot to mention that I bought a 9700? (I believe) Nike/Bauer Titanium cage with my 4500 helmet.

Beware - Titanium only references the color. Bauer has never made a cage made of titanium.

I never noticed the difference in the chin cup between the titanium and the 9500. The full beard may have something to do with that.

I'm sure its my personal preference thing... I actually switched to a Shock Doctor chin cup recently since the liners swap out so easy. I prefer the floating design compared to the one on the Itech.

I have to put my vote in for the new Reebok 11K cage in gunmetal grey. Wires are flat great visibility and the chin cup is comfertable.

I still have the Jofa 480 (in white) and I like it, but I use the Bauer 9900 (same as 9500). It is a bit lighter, and visibility is is better overall. Fit on the chin could be a little better, Jofa fits better in that aspect.

had no problems with 8k and 9900, both L

No problem with 6K medium and 9900 (I think they only come in large). You just bend it inward a tad to get it to fit right (instructions say to do it).

No problem with 6K medium and 9900 (I think they only come in large). You just bend it inward a tad to get it to fit right (instructions say to do it).

9900 comes in 4 sizes, xs, s, m, l.

I just got a small for my new CCM pro stock V08 and it makes the helmet fit SO much better.