Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mftiger1081

Dyeing hockey gloves

Got a pair of cloth Warrior Bully hockey gloves. I really like them, but they are navy and I'd like to see if I can somehow dye them black. I got them from a friend so I didn't have a choice in the color, unless I want to buy new ones. Any suggestions on ways to change the color?

go to a fabric store like hobby lobby or joann's fabric and pick up a thing called a fabric paint pen I've used them several times on gloves to make them look like other teams colors.

since you're going black I'd recommend India Ink over a fabric marker. fabric markers aren't permanent like the India Ink is. you should probably also get an oil-based Sharpie paint pen for the detail work such as around the logo.

here's a pic of some retail Warrior AK27 gloves that I blacked out with India Ink:

IMG_0554.jpg

it took more than one coat and I had to devote a little extra time to the left index finger (you can see in the picture that it turned out weird the first time) but now after 2 coats of ink you can't tell at all and there is zero chipping or fading.

Here are the two I've done. Both are using the same brand and I wear them all the time.

These are cloth

sbkred.jpg

The green didn't turn out the best cause I bought the wrong one (going to find a different brand for a cover up) Those are leather

thegloves.jpg

yeah shoe, theyre really stealthy looking... all black is never a bad option

decided to wear them tonight since you guys were drooling over them. got a nice backhand goal with them. :)

@shoeshine boy - Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking to dye a pair of royal 4Roll Pros tufftek from Royal to Black. When you used India Ink, were you able to get it in some kind of Pen, or did you have to buy a bottle? If you bought a bottle, how did you apply it?

@shoeshine boy - Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking to dye a pair of royal 4Roll Pros tufftek from Royal to Black. When you used India Ink, were you able to get it in some kind of Pen, or did you have to buy a bottle? If you bought a bottle, how did you apply it?

I got it in a bottle from Michaels Crafts store:

http://www.michaels.com/Super-India-Ink-2-Oz-Black/fa1398,default,pd.html?cgid=products-artsupplies-calligraphyandink-ink&start=6

then used a paint brush to apply it. used a sponge type brush the first coat and regular brush for the second coat.

for something that small I'd go oil-based Sharpie paint marker.

I've done that too

The Eagles look great Shoeshine! I've thought about blacking out a few areas on my PPFs but after seeing this, it makes me want to black it all out. Haha.

You've mentioned using a couple different things for blacking out gloves. Which do you recommend as the easiest and/or most durable?

I think the India Ink is the best but it's not the easiest for detail work though I will admit that in my case I'm mostly concerned about user error. :)

the Sharpie Paint Marker is good fr smaller areas. the fabric marker was the least successful. I used it to color in the white thread on a pair of maroon custom Franchises. it looks great (there's no maroon Sharpie paint marker) but has to be retouched on a regular basis.

Anyone used navy??? I have a pair of Warrior Super MacDaddys in red and would like to make them into Columbus gloves, but can't seem to find India ink, Sharpie paint markers or fabric markers in navy. Have heard people using spray paint, but not sure about that. Suggestions would be appreciated....

Anyone used navy??? I have a pair of Warrior Super MacDaddys in red and would like to make them into Columbus gloves, but can't seem to find India ink, Sharpie paint markers or fabric markers in navy. Have heard people using spray paint, but not sure about that. Suggestions would be appreciated....

Not positive but I think India ink is only black?

I bought a jar of green once thinking I'd switch the blacked out Eagle lettering to green. never did it.....

Black to green?

That would never work anyway.