Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cams

What are you reading currently?

A GREAT book to read is Maneaters of Kumaon by Jim Corbett. It is his first hand account of hunting man eating tigers in early 1900 India. Corbett was a conservationist and would not accept money from anyone to hunt them and only did it for the bennefit of the people. He hunted pretty much alone and came very close to death many time. The Champawat Tiger had killed (documented kill) of 436 people. The book definitely does not glorify killing tigers. When you read what this man went through to help other people you will be floored.

If you like "fun" reading and zombies there is this site. http://adriansundeaddiary.com/. It is a fictional blog but if you start it from the first entry to the last with the side stories it reads like a book. It's pretty well thought out and entertaining.

Just ordered If You Could See Me Now by Peter Straub - looking forward to diving into it once it arrives. Hard find too!

Well, just finishing up my second Koontz novel in a row. I think I've found a new favourite author! The Voice of the Night was fantastic! Now just finishing Phantoms (apparently made a not so great movie out of it with Ben Affleck in it) - again, great book!

Law Goalie - thanks for recommending abebooks back on page 1. I have two books on the way (Graham Masterton Prey and Dark Hollow by Brian Keene).

War of the Worlds by you know who

and

the Hull Way by Brett Hull, sadly it stops after 1997, so for some odd reason it wasnt released until like 1999 when he got the cup or something?

I also recently bought the Panthers book Miami Ice from their 96 playoff run but it was...yawn.

That series didnt catch my attention, i tried, couldnt, my fiancee read the first book then declared it boring and as she put it "typical chick action soon to be flick" then a year later, boom

Law Goalie - thanks for recommending abebooks back on page 1. I have two books on the way (Graham Masterton Prey and Dark Hollow by Brian Keene).

Glad to be of service. Every once in a while things do go wrong - I ordered a collection of Leonard Cohen's poetry for my uncle last Christmas that still hasn't showed up, and the shop is feigning ignorance - but generally speaking it's a good way to get common books cheaply and rare books with relative ease.

I am reading "Wheelers, Dealiers,Pucks and Bucks: A Rocking History of Roller Hocket International (RHI). It is pretty light reading but pretty facsintating to read how the league came about.

Just finishing The Dark Half by Stephen King - fantastic read, good story and characters.

Have lots lined up now - my sister gave me a bunch of King novels (Salem's Lot, It, Pet Sematery), plus a friend gave a Koontz book he never opened that has Shatter, Whispers, and Watchers in it. Then, picked up Mars by Ben Bova, as well as the Mars Trilogy (Red, Green, Blue) by Kim Stanley Robinson at a charity book sale - which one next!?!?!?! The list of books I want to read is so big right now.

I just finished reading all of the Game of Thrones books that are out.

Not sure what I'm going to get into next.

Although, reading through the last few pages of this thread have given me a ton of ideas!

Does anyone know anything about the Foundation series? I guess they are/were the series of series for science fiction writing? Kind of interested to try them out.

The Foundation series was pretty good. If you like S-F, you're looking in the right era for the good stuff. Robert Heinlein and Jack Vance are my two favorite S-F authors. I've become picky over the years, after reading thousands of S-F novels. A lot of stuff people will recommend is just fluff, compared to the good stuff.

If you want something good with some really original idea, try A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge.

2 SF novels that I've read good reviews on, and in fact want to get are: Wool - Omnibus by Hugh Howey and The Dig by Michael Siemsen. Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to look to Amazon, as Chapters does not have either on their site.

Re-reading "Amusing Ourselves to Death" by Neil Postman. Good read for anyone interested in media ecology (simply put, how media technology influences us).

Finally getting around to grad school, I have to get smerter. I've read nothing but old comic books and a steady stream of Cracked articles for the past two years.

Finished the latest Steve Berry book the other day.Interesting plot premise and none of the usual characters were involved, it was a refreshing change. That said, there was still a lot that fit into his formula.

Re-reading "Amusing Ourselves to Death" by Neil Postman. Good read for anyone interested in media ecology (simply put, how media technology influences us).

Finally getting around to grad school, I have to get smerter. I've read nothing but old comic books and a steady stream of Cracked articles for the past two years.

Please tell me that was done for effect.