Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MattKingDelToro

CCM RBZ - Powered by TaylorMade

Per the link above.....

"The first product to be unveiled as a result of this relationship is the CCM RBZ hockey stick. This brand new stick developed in collaboration with TaylorMade composite engineers features a revolutionary blade technology."

I was wrong, it's in the blade and not the shaft.

Limited Edition. Just like the TO, APX, S19 Pure, etc etc.

I realize that, but maybe the pictures we're seeing aren't the whole thing. A black version being the "retail" version?

Revolutionary blade technology...

In golf, the main technological battle is the desire to achieve maximum MOI...moment of inertia. It is basically a marketeering term that is used to differentiate the "sweet spot" of a club face...to deliver the most amount of space for consistent ball flight. It's an interesting take on blade technology, but one that may be least relevant to hockey because the golf club does account for a similar measure in lie, but does not equate with a loft in comparison to a hockey blade curve. That will be a tough correlation to measure.

Weight technology however is an interesting correlation. Easton has used FWT in the SE and the EQ50, but the Taylor Made proposition would suggest more user control, thus removable and adjustable weights. That is certainly unique and is an enhancement to the adjustable weights in the shaft that the Easton EQ50 introduced. Just guessing, but I would assume this might be where they are heading with this collaboration, because it makes the most sense in terms of a golf technology that would benefit hockey.

In golf, the main technological battle is the desire to achieve maximum MOI...moment of inertia. It is basically a marketeering term that is used to differentiate the "sweet spot" of a club face...to deliver the most amount of space for consistent ball flight. It's an interesting take on blade technology, but one that may be least relevant to hockey because the golf club does account for a similar measure in lie, but does not equate with a loft in comparison to a hockey blade curve. That will be a tough correlation to measure.

Weight technology however is an interesting correlation. Easton has used FWT in the SE and the EQ50, but the Taylor Made proposition would suggest more user control, thus removable and adjustable weights. That is certainly unique and is an enhancement to the adjustable weights in the shaft that the Easton EQ50 introduced. Just guessing, but I would assume this might be where they are heading with this collaboration, because it makes the most sense in terms of a golf technology that would benefit hockey.

MOI is one point of the technological battle in golf, weighting is another, and ball speed is the third. MOI and weighting technology are aimed at accuracy, which is why ball speed seems to lend itself more to hockey IMO. Club manufacturers are attempting to increase "smash factor" the ratio of ball speed to club speed. More ball speed leads to more distance for the same amount of swing speed, allowing golfers to gain distance. Given that they are advertising velocity, my guess is their focus is on increasing puck speed coming off the blade relative to the speed the blade is moving when the shot is released. Being able to shoot faster without putting more effort into it would benefit hockey, especially if you're able to increase accuracy by decreasing effort, like can be done in golf.

Taylor made makes balls and putters too. They maybe be using polymer technology instead of foam to fill the blade. If not maybe they should. Give a better feel to the stick. Also, thinner and thicker walls of the blade causing a trampoline effect would be an interesting concept. SOmeone should hire me to help with these sort of things!!!

I realize that, but maybe the pictures we're seeing aren't the whole thing. A black version being the "retail" version?

Well, does the version he's using now look all white to you, or the one he was previously using?

Well, does the version he's using now look all white to you, or the one he was previously using?

I would consider all white being the stick that is being used now, not the prototype version wth just the TM logo on it.

CCM mentioned an "enhanced sweet spot" on their current CL stick. Although, from what I can tell, it seems to relate more to blade feel.

The Limited Edition all-white version they speak of.....

20120304_jla_av4_189_extra_large.jpg

Gabriel+Landeskog+Pittsburgh+Penguins+v+Colorado+LUXdm3tC9AFl.jpg

A very reputable golf club company teams up with a hockey company to make a better stick? I mean that's enough for me to have a form of interest in it.

didn't inno make golf shafts first?

As I recall, Inno did hockey shafts prior to getting into golf shafts. I remember owning a Inno shaft back in 1991-92. IIRC, Inno made their way into golf shafts in 1998-99 or later.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, I wouldn't say this is a ringing endorsement for the "revoluntionary blade technology". I do like the look of the stick though. Check out the high resolution picture in the attached article.

http://www.businesswire.com/multimedia/home/20120309006070/en/2571659/CCM-TaylorMade-Collaborate-Launch-RBZ-Hockey-Stick

Nugent-Hopkins did not shed much light on his new stick’s game-changing technology to reporters on Monday.

“They make it so you can’t tell the difference,” said Nugent-Hopkins, a CCM stick user since his junior hockey days. “They’re good at that. I can’t feel the difference but it does have the white at the bottom which is different from what I’m used to. I like it.”

Interesting... thanks for that.

As for the idea that it camouflages anything from goalies, take that with an enormous grain of salt. A professional goalie's focus is entirely on the puck immediately prior to and through the moment of release to the moment of impact-- not on the stick. A goalie would only look at the stick when a shot is not imminent. A white stick might make it harder to track the orientation of the blade at moderate distance -- say, to the top of the circles -- and thus to anticipate possible passing plays, but any closer - on a breakaway, for example, when reading a closed/open stick becomes essential -- this isn't going to hide anything.

It may be a little unsettling to see, and faintly annoying to a goalie in practice, but if anything, it will only increase a goalie's puck-focus in shooting situations during a game.

Sure does look nifty, though, and it sounds like the underlying technology is potentially significant.

A hollow core, it would be very interesting to compare the puck feel with foam-core blades for sure. It would also be interesting to see how the structure of the shaft and blade would work out.

I think puck feel is going to be interesting, as is how prominent the spring effect is. If you've ever messed around with a golf driver and golf ball, you know that even at very low speeds, when the driver face hits the golf ball the ball springs off the clubface. Obviously, a puck springing off the blade when you're trying to catch a pass would be a major issue.

I think puck feel is going to be interesting, as is how prominent the spring effect is. If you've ever messed around with a golf driver and golf ball, you know that even at very low speeds, when the driver face hits the golf ball the ball springs off the clubface. Obviously, a puck springing off the blade when you're trying to catch a pass would be a major issue.

Gordon Bombay would fix this with a passing drill using eggs.