Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chrisg19

Padded Skate Socks

FWIW, this is how my feet have been covered in the last couple of years, and my current pairs, the Tuff-N-Lite pro skate sock (retails for $40) (white sock) is by far the best i've worn, and don't plan on switching anytime soon.

I've had:

Normal hanes cotton, barefoot, UA compression socks, adidas compression socks, Easton synergy skate sock, Bauer Vapor sock, Elite sock, then these Tuff-N-Lites.

They are thicker then probably every sock besides the normal hanes ones. But I have zero issues with slipping, zero issues with bunching, and zero pain from any seam. They are also cut resistant to protect from lacerations. Easton introduced a sock last year like this, and Bauer and Reebok will be launching socks that do the same thing, at the same $40 retail price. To me they've helped protect me, I got slashed right on my achielles tendon earlier in the year. I was out for 10 minutes or so but I was not cut at all. Not sure if this is because of the sock, but I'm glad I was wearing them instead of another sock. Also they feel padded and feel better getting shot on the back of the leg where there is no protection from my shins compared to previous socks. When/If i need to buy socks again, these will be the pair.

I had a pair of these. They were just too thick for my liking.

FWIW, this is how my feet have been covered in the last couple of years, and my current pairs, the Tuff-N-Lite pro skate sock (retails for $40) (white sock) is by far the best i've worn, and don't plan on switching anytime soon.

I've had:

Normal hanes cotton, barefoot, UA compression socks, adidas compression socks, Easton synergy skate sock, Bauer Vapor sock, Elite sock, then these Tuff-N-Lites.

They are thicker then probably every sock besides the normal hanes ones. But I have zero issues with slipping, zero issues with bunching, and zero pain from any seam. They are also cut resistant to protect from lacerations. Easton introduced a sock last year like this, and Bauer and Reebok will be launching socks that do the same thing, at the same $40 retail price. To me they've helped protect me, I got slashed right on my achielles tendon earlier in the year. I was out for 10 minutes or so but I was not cut at all. Not sure if this is because of the sock, but I'm glad I was wearing them instead of another sock. Also they feel padded and feel better getting shot on the back of the leg where there is no protection from my shins compared to previous socks. When/If i need to buy socks again, these will be the pair.

Are the Tuff-N-Lite pro skate socks thick in the actual foot area, or just the leg area?

FWIW, I have bumps on my heals and under the inside of both ankles.

I wear adidas soccer socks w/ full gel bunga pads on both feet. They worked w/ my old skates and my new ones that fit perfect.

So I purchased the Stable 28 socks to try them out. Any retail purchased skate just doesn't have the ankle/heal lock that I need and I don't have the money to order a custom made skate.

I've played two games in them and my initial impression is good. They are comfortable and thickness is near perfect for my liking. It seems there is a little extra thickeness for the bottom of the foot which I like. I use the Yellow Superfeet insole and have found the forefoot area is underpadded for my liking. Now with these socks it's balanced out which has made me happy.

Someone mentioned before that these socks stretch out very easy. And this is 100% true. I washed and dried them before I put them on first (as I do with all newly purchased clothing). Then put them on to start testing out what thickness insert(s) I was going to need. By the time I was done and pulled them off they were definitely stretched out. So I re-washed and dried them before going to play and they fit perfect again. I didn't notice any movement/twisting of the sock itself during play and my feet didn't feel overheated or cold. Just stayed nice and comfortable. Though there is a toe seam I didn't notice it once I laced the skates down.

The inserts helped with keeping my heal in place. While it wasn't cemented, to allow for normal movement, the inserts took up the open space and eliminated the excess heal movement I had previously experienced.

End result....so far so good. Once I play more games with the socks I'll see if I continue to like them. I think as a sock material/thickness they are a great sock. I'd probably still use them without the inserts once I finally go the way of a custom fit skate.

The Stable 26 sock system worked out pretty nicely for me. I have a wide fore foot and converesly a narrow heel, so my CCM U+CL felt fine in the fore foot area but quite sloppily at both heels. To add to the complication, my right foot is wider than my left. However, with the varible thickness gel inserts I was able to obtain equal heel lock for both feet.

To be honest I was quite hesitant to try any sock because I've skate barefeet for the past thirty years and feared that I wouldn't be able to feel the edges on the ice, but this didn't seem to be a problem with the cushiony material and to my good fortune it resolved another issue, I no longer have smelly skate boots.

Give them a try and don't be afraid to experiment with asymmetric gel thickness setups. I ended up using a 6 mm gel insert in the lateral pocket for the left foot and none in the medial side. For my right foot I employed the same setup but using the thinner 2 mm instead because of the wider heel bone.

The experimentation did take more than several ice sessions, but I'm pleased to say this is the best heel lock I've had since the days of the leather skate boot.

I really like these socks as well. I've been using them for at 6 months or so with no issues. I find the sock fairly thin and dries pretty quick as well, but the real benefit is the heel lock. After dialling in the right pads, I found my heels are locked in better and I have more control on the ice in tight turns and quick stop/start situations.

You know after a couple of skates with the Bauer Vapor skate sock, i can say that they have actually improved the feel of the skate on ice. I used to wear crew socks in my one100's which to me felt like there was room for improvement. The Skate socks really improved the fit of the skate on my feet. I was worried that the extra padding etc would have affected the feel.

I've been using the Bauer Vapor skate socks for a couple months now and I honestly wouldn't skate in anything else anymore.

The only complaint is that they're a bit tight on my upper calves, but not unbearable. They stay in place, that's for sure.