Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chrisg19

Padded Skate Socks

I may be wrong, but I thought I remembered reading on here about a company making a skate sock with padding, maybe a gel, built in for skating. Does that ring a bell with anyone, and if so could you point me in a direction to their website. I tried searching, but must be using the wrong terms, because I am not coming up with what I am looking for. Thanks.

When chosing a size, use your skate size, not shoe size.

Also, when I tried them I noted that they fit a bit bigger, and needed one size smaller than their recommended size.

When chosing a size, use your skate size, not shoe size.

Also, when I tried them I noted that they fit a bit bigger, and needed one size smaller than their recommended size.

How did you find them? Any noticeable difference?

How did you find them? Any noticeable difference?

Notable difference, yes. Like them, not really.

I have a thin ankle. My skate at the time (Bauer One80) was the slightest bit loose in the ankle after skating for a month or so.

I found that I needed to put the smallest piece of the supplied insert (2mm) into the sock, and only on one side of my ankle, or there was too much pressure.

Considering that you can go all the way up to 8mm (I think, if I remember correctly) in each sock, they have the potential to take up a LOT of space.

Anyways, they do help lock your ankle in the skate, directly below your ankle bones. The ability to customize the thickness of the inserts is a nice feature.

Installing the thinner inserts can be a bit of a challenge, but not too bad.

I got a pair according to their size guidelines on the box. They fit almost 1 size too big and didn't really stay put inside my skate.

I found that it was hard to get my foot into my skate, even when completely undone, without moving the sock/inserts from where they needed to be.

After a single use, I noted that the socks seemed to stretch a bit. I had to wash and put in the dryer after each use, or they would be too stretched.

They are easy to maintain. Once you have the right size inserts in place, just toss them in their garment bag to wash and dry, with the inserts still in the socks.

If you like thin socks like the Thinees, these will be too thick for you. The seams on the toe box of the sock were also something I wasn't a huge fan of.

It's a pretty cool product for a specific use, but I wouldn't put my recommendation on it in lieu of a properly fitted skate. I ended up getting a different pair of skates to solve my ankle issue, rather than mess around with socks.

Thanks. You saved me $50. I have to have really thin socks and the toe seam would drive me nuts. I have a decent heel lock but was just looking for a smidge more and added comfort if it was to be had.

It won't help with the heel lock but the Vapor socks are pretty awesome.

How thick are they? Any weird/thick seams near the toes?

Are they compression, or do they retain their shape quite well?

I'm constantly on a quest for the best skate sock. It's a sad hobby.

It's hard to describe them. They are compression, but they're quite comfortable and mine are still holding shape well. They feel like a dress sock, but tighter and more durable. The toe doesn't have thick seams.

Sometimes I wear them with my sneakers around the house (they don't smell yet) because they're so comfy.

Plus they match my Vapor Base Layer shirt (I only got the Vapor shirt because Pure Hockey was sold out of all other undershirts at the time, the matching was unintentional.)

If you are constantly on a quest for the best skate sock then I would recommend the Vapor's as well. I tried regular white & dress socks, as well as Easton skate socks and nothing compares to the Vapors. I have 2 pairs and have used them for over a year and neither are really starting to break down at all. A bit pricey at $18 US, but worth it since they last so long.

I have a pair of the Vapor socks. I've found them to be really thick compared to other socks out there. If you're going to drop damn near $20 on a sock, find some OxySox.

I skate with the Wigwam skate sock; really thin and a fraction of the price.

I've never seen OxySox or Wigwam locally. I might order a pair of each online to test them out.

I know I can get the Vapors locally, so I might pick up a pair before my ice time tonight.

You can never have too many socks.

I like a sock with a medium thickness. The Thinees are a bit too light, Coolees are about right, and regular sweat socks are too thick.

I guess I have really sensitive feet or something.

Edit:

Here's a good question. How does everyone find the sizing of the Vapor socks?

• Small: Bauer Skate Size 10-2 Y
  • Medium: Bauer Skate Size 2.5 Y-7.5 Sr
  • Large: Bauer Skate Size 8-13 Sr

If I wear an 8.5 Graf, and a 9.5-10 shoe, I should probably go with a large. I don't want it to be too big or too small though.

Any advice?

I wear a 11-12 shoe and a 10 skate and found I couldn't even get the large Vapour on. I returned them and bought different brand but I have no idea what it is now. They are a pretty substantial sock though but are wearing well with 2-3 games a week over the course of the year.

I've never seen OxySox or Wigwam locally. I might order a pair of each online to test them out.

I know I can get the Vapors locally, so I might pick up a pair before my ice time tonight.

You can never have too many socks.

I like a sock with a medium thickness. The Thinees are a bit too light, Coolees are about right, and regular sweat socks are too thick.

I guess I have really sensitive feet or something.

Edit:

Here's a good question. How does everyone find the sizing of the Vapor socks?

• Small: Bauer Skate Size 10-2 Y
  • Medium: Bauer Skate Size 2.5 Y-7.5 Sr
  • Large: Bauer Skate Size 8-13 Sr

If I wear an 8.5 Graf, and a 9.5-10 shoe, I should probably go with a large. I don't want it to be too big or too small though.

Any advice?

I wear an 8.5 CCM and I wear a large Vapor sock.

Thanks guys, I was able to find an pair of OxySox locally, so I picked them up and used them tonight. Size medium (9-11 shoe size according to CCM). Pretty nice sock, I must admit. $26 CDN, as compared to the Vapor at $22 CDN.

The OxySox are definitely lighter than the Vapors, but thicker than a Thinee type sock. They have a nice padding to them, kept my foot warm (which I like), and was really soft. No weird seams.

I also like that the OxySox wasn't too big around the calf. They stayed in place, but didn't cut off circulation.

I'm going to grab a pair of Vapors and use them tomorrow or Wed... I'll report back on how it goes. Sorry to the OP for the sock thread hijack after answering your question...

Does anyone have experience with the UnderArmour hockey liner. http://www.thehockey...ner-1-pack.html

I'm looking for something as thin as possible.

I love this sock, although I haven't tried anything else yet. It stays up, but doesn't feel to tight & I like that its moisture wicking & relatively thin (it does a much better job & feels thinner than my Nike Bauer white pair). Been rotating 2 pairs of the UA Liner socks for about 2.5 years & other than a touch of color transfer from the inside of my Vapor skates (which doesn't bother me at all) they are holding up great.

Almost in direct opposition to most, I am looking for a bit of a thicker sock. Currently, I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I use a bunga pad sleeve, a thick hockey sock (forget brand) and a thin easton sock over top of that. The reason for the bunga is for lace bite and then the other 2 socks make the fit of my skate absolutely perfect (tried custom 1/4 size smaller, but no good). I was looking to find a thick sock, with built-in lace bite that has "grippy"/non-moving texture on the outside. Anyone have any recommendations? These sounded promising, but they are thin-fitting.

Almost in direct opposition to most, I am looking for a bit of a thicker sock. Currently, I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I use a bunga pad sleeve, a thick hockey sock (forget brand) and a thin easton sock over top of that. The reason for the bunga is for lace bite and then the other 2 socks make the fit of my skate absolutely perfect (tried custom 1/4 size smaller, but no good). I was looking to find a thick sock, with built-in lace bite that has "grippy"/non-moving texture on the outside. Anyone have any recommendations? These sounded promising, but they are thin-fitting.

Have you tried the Bauer Vapor sock yet? No "grippy" texture, but I've found that it's thicker, has a decent layer of fabric to prevent lacebite, and has become my favorite pair of socks out of anything I've tried.

I have the Easton skate sock, and have been using them very regularly for the last 10 months or so. They still hold their shape perfectly, have plenty of elasticity, no rips or really any issues whatsoever. I believe it is a regular thickness for a skate sock and from a guy who used to skate barefoot I can happily say I made the right decision.

I don't have these, but I think I'm going to make a purchase soon, http://bungapads.com/bunga-ankle-sleeve-as.html or http://bungapads.com/bunga-lace-bite-preventer-lb.html

I have used sweat bands around my ankles when I was breaking the skate in because I wasn't used to the ultra stiff upper of the boot and it provided cushion against the top of the boot cutting my ankle.

FWIW, this is how my feet have been covered in the last couple of years, and my current pairs, the Tuff-N-Lite pro skate sock (retails for $40) (white sock) is by far the best i've worn, and don't plan on switching anytime soon.

I've had:

Normal hanes cotton, barefoot, UA compression socks, adidas compression socks, Easton synergy skate sock, Bauer Vapor sock, Elite sock, then these Tuff-N-Lites.

They are thicker then probably every sock besides the normal hanes ones. But I have zero issues with slipping, zero issues with bunching, and zero pain from any seam. They are also cut resistant to protect from lacerations. Easton introduced a sock last year like this, and Bauer and Reebok will be launching socks that do the same thing, at the same $40 retail price. To me they've helped protect me, I got slashed right on my achielles tendon earlier in the year. I was out for 10 minutes or so but I was not cut at all. Not sure if this is because of the sock, but I'm glad I was wearing them instead of another sock. Also they feel padded and feel better getting shot on the back of the leg where there is no protection from my shins compared to previous socks. When/If i need to buy socks again, these will be the pair.