Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

noodle3872

SoCal Family Vacation: Travel Tips?

In less than a week, my family will be flying into LAX for a week long vacation in SoCal. It's been 27 years since I've been to SoCal and at the time I was only 13 years old. Our home base will be in Anaheim and we have a rental car for the week. We have the basics planned; couple days at Disneyland and California Adventures, 6 Flags and we are heading to San Deigo to visit a friend for the day. I've learned thru other trips the best way to get an idea of what there is to do in an area is to ask the locals. So anybody with experience in SoCal, please give me any advice you have.

Will 2 days at Disneyland be enough if we focus on the more exciting rides?

Where to eat? Any good farmer markets?

Local beaches to hit?

Shopping (non-hockey related) in the area?

Places to avoid?

Driving tips?

Any tip which could prove to be valuable?

Mike

2 days at Disney should be enough, yes. If you are going on weekdays, even better.

There is some nice stuff right in the Disney area for eating.. Downtown Disney is usually a good time too.

Huntington beach (Pacific Coast Highway and Main street) would probably be a good place to spend a little time at as well. You have the prime beach spot/pier/ shopping/eating area. Not too far from Anaheim.

Heading a little more south to Laguna Beach is cool too. There is shopping and eating areas down there too. Nice stuff.

Not much out there by 6 flags.

Driving is driving. I'd avoid flipping people off or general road rage! :) No matter what time of day there seems to be traffic. lol

Maybe drive through Hollywood with the windows up to check out the freaks. You can tell the kids to NOT end up like them.

Driving through Beverly Hills is generally kind of fun, I think.

Anyways, have fun. This weekend has been great weather, so hopefully it will continue.

Thanks for the tips. I'll have my GPS for the car too which will make driving a little easier (hopefully!). We figured California Adventures would be a full day. Is it a full day or only a part day?

1) It's debatable whether two days will be enough for both parks. We went during the last week of March, which was Spring Break for my girls, and were it not for the threat of rain on that Sunday keeping the attendance lower, I think we would have been pressed to fit everything in during our two days. I say this because Monday had at least 50% more people -- lines were noticeably longer. I have no idea how early May will compare to Spring Break. Try to get there as close to opening as possible, since you could knock out two to three of the biggies within the first hour. Also, take advantage of FastPass; have someone veer off to get the next available FastPass, then join the rest in line.

2) California Adventures will depend on how old your children are. I feel it should be "CaliforniaLand" versus "California Adventures," meaning it seems short on rides to be its own park. However, in fairness to them, my daughters are now 13 and 15, so going to the Bug's Life area is similar to Toon Town -- that's about five rides that we didn't feel compelled to ride. As a result, we hit every ride plus twice on the roller coaster, and probably were out of C.A. by 3:00, other than going back for their "Wonderful World Of Color." Besides FastPass, they had about three rides with Single Rider entry. If your kids are old enough, I'd highly recommend that, because you'll essentially wait in line together but ride a sled or two apart. By the way, make sure you use FastPass early to get tickets for the World Of Color.

3) I really enjoyed the Huntington Museum, which was a turn-of-the-century mansion of one of the railroad tycoons.

Ahh, I see. I've been told Disneyland is a 2 day minimum. Cali Adventures sounds interesting. Noah is 14 years old and is a bit of a daredevil.

I agree with Jason, California Adventures isn't a full day experience in my opinion. Not enough rides to go around, sort of like a spillover for Disney opposite. Huntington Beach is great, plenty of public beach volleyball nets to fool around with. The accompanying town behind it has a few nice restaurants, though be sure to ask if their catches are local. Good food regardless. Pick up a trinket or two on the pier! I personally prefer Newport Beach though. It felt a bit bigger but had less of a 'tourist' feel to it and more of a seaside town feel. Pier and restaurants as well.

Avoid Hollywood at all costs. A big sign isn't worth driving through that dump!

Too bad I wasn't going to be home (SD) when you're here, or I'd ask you to grab a beer!

The family and I did disneyland in two solid days. The kids are all old enough now to avoid the little rides, so we went straight for the big ones right away. I believe we went the second or third week in July, and we made sure we went Moday-Tuesday. The lines weren't too bad, although there was some pretty big ones at the biggest rides. The first day we went pretty much open to close, and I believe the second day we left with a couple hours to spare, riding roller coasters and walking around the park for two days straight can take a toll on everyone, so I would recommend that after the second day you just take it easy, maybe go for a shopping day or visiting the friends. I agree with OptimusReim on Hollywood, it's pretty cool, but I didn't really find it very kid friendly, maybe tour that with the wife another time!

All in all we had a great trip and I would expect you guys will have the same!

How much time at Disneyland and California Adventures have been the source of some discussion. It's good to hear California Adventures is only a part day. Noah desparately want to hit a skateboard shop near our hotel on West Katella for Supra Vadar shoes. If we can be out of Cali Adventures by mid-afternoon he'll get his time to shop for his shoes and other skate stuff.

One night we plan on doing pizza for dinner. Are there any good pizza joints around the Disneyland area? Or any other restaurant ideas that aren't franchise stores?

I think it goes without saying, but if you and/ or your children have not experienced Carls Jr or In 'N Out, that is also a must.

Speaking of food again, I don't know where you're from noodle, but there are plenty of multicultural options down in SoCal. Chinese dimsum, Japanese ramen, all kid-friendly.

I second the thoughts on food. One of the most incredible things about LA is food truck culture. I'm not talking roach coach but full-on gourmet food served on food trucks. Check out Anthony Bourdain's recent episode on LA. A popular spot during lunch time is in front of the LACMA museum, which is a great place to visit also. I would check out LA Weekly and see what events or activites are happening the days you are here. There's always something.

You must go to Santa Monica though. They have one of the best farmer's markets and the outdoor promenade is great for shopping. They also have the pier.

The other great farmers market is called The Farmers Market on Third and Fairfax in LA which is next to the grove which is a great shopping area.

I second the thoughts on food. One of the most incredible things about LA is food truck culture. I'm not talking roach coach but full-on gourmet food served on food trucks. Check out Anthony Bourdain's recent episode on LA. A popular spot during lunch time is in front of the LACMA museum, which is a great place to visit also. I would check out LA Weekly and see what events or activites are happening the days you are here. There's always something.

You must go to Santa Monica though. They have one of the best farmer's markets and the outdoor promenade is great for shopping. They also have the pier.

The other great farmers market is called The Farmers Market on Third and Fairfax in LA which is next to the grove which is a great shopping area.

You've got good taste my friend, Bourdain is a beauty for sure; I love No Reservations. It's easy in a big metropolitain area to get sucked into convenience and what you know. But like JA mentioned, the local joints are often much much better.

You've got good taste my friend, Bourdain is a beauty for sure; I love No Reservations. It's easy in a big metropolitain area to get sucked into convenience and what you know. But like JA mentioned, the local joints are often much much better.

I respectfully disagree. LA is very large, diverse and very car-driven. I was born and raised here. Out of this has developed really great food aimed at this specific culture and environment. It's the novelty of it which separates it from anything most people have ever seen.You can find great chinese food, korean food, italian food etc. etc. in any metropolitan area, probably with the exception of Mexican food. You, however, will be hard pressed to find the type of food these food trucks deliver outside of the Los Angeles area which is what makes it special and not just "convenient"

http://www.findlafoodtrucks.com/

I meant things like franchises and fast food, not food trucks. I for one have had some great food truck eats on campus, so I completely understand and agree with what you're saying.

Mike, Etnies and their Skate Park are right up the street from my new shop. I know there's a skate shop across the street. I'll get you some info tomorrow.

Pizza wise near Dsneyland is Oggi's on Chapman & Harbor. Great beer and the "Heavyweight" pizza is really good.

I know you don't care for franchise stores, but, I used to be a secret shopper and the Red Robin, also at Chapman & Harbor, is one of the best I've shopped, in both food quality and service.

Ever try Argentine? Pasta Connction, sooooooooooo good, off of Chapman and the 57 Freeway.

I'll think up some other places for you.

This info is making me think we'll be coming your way for our visit!!!

When it comes to food, we like pretty much any type of food. Nikki and I learned from our Maui trip that eating in places the locals frequent is usually a good rule of thumb.

Zumiez is a skate shop that should carry the shoes, and theyre a common franchise store. Try in n out and 5 guys if possible. I still prefer in n out.

If you're going to San Diego I definitely recommend stopping at Stone Brewing or Lost Abbey/Pizza Port for a bite and some of the best craft brews in the area.

If your going from Anahiem to San Diego make sure you allow enough time for travel. It can take awhile depending on traffic conditions. Same goes for going to Magic Mountain.

Check Magic Mountain's schedule. They should be open every day but check what the operating hours are and what rides are closed. Plan on walking up and down alot of hills. It's not flat like Disneyland but if you like roller coasters it's worth it. There is also Hurrican Harbor next to Magic Mountain.

Knott's Berry Farm is not to bad and real close to Disneyland. Medevil Times is right down the street and is a fun place for dinner.

Huntington is a great beach to visit. They have done a good job making it tourist friendly. Redondo and Manhattan are nice to hang out on. If you really want to see some funny things there is always Venice Beach. If your going to the beach from Anaheim take the 91 and you have a bunch of differnt beaches to choose from

You can do Disney in one day without issue if you have a little Clark W Griswald in you. So I'm sure you can do both parks in 2 days

i was there on 3/26 during Spring Break and caught everything without issue.

As soon as we walked in we hit Star Tours and before that put in a Quick Pass (SpeedPass?) for Space Mountain - then we hit the Indiana Jones Adventure and had 3 of the big ones out of tthe way with a couple others inbetween - all in the first 3 hours

Used a couple apps that also showed wait times that were a big help in figuring out where to go next at times. Small enough park that you can get around quickly. Dont' have to worry about waking to the middle of the park and starting counter-clockwise etc

Stayed in HB for a couple days, had breakfast at the Sugar Shack each morning. They had an farmers market (small) one night we were there...Redondo has a good one but that is north and a great chocolate company (Marsatta) by a guy who was in the hockey world for a long time

Great burger is 25 Degrees burge (HB again)r and for the parents they have a good variety of craft beers; speaking of Craft Beers - HB Beer Co was pretty good as well - good deals in the afternoon - 1/2 price apps, etc...but Junkyard Athletic knows it best -

+1 on Irvine Spectrum for shopping - tons of stuff for kids and teens

You can do Disney in one day without issue if you have a little Clark W Griswald in you. So I'm sure you can do both parks in 2 days

i was there on 3/26 during Spring Break and caught everything without issue.

We were there that day also, but there was a threat of rain that ended up materializing into a steady downpour by 3:00. The next day, lines were at least 50% longer and we kept remarking how lucky we were that the fear of rain apparently kept a slew of people away from the park.