Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Cascade Messier Project M11 Pro Helmet Teardown/Initial Thoughts

Contestant #3 in the Year Of The Helmet (or The Year Of The Revolving Helmet on JR's Head); the Cascade M11 Pro.

The M11 Pro is the latest revision of the M11. Right off the bat, it is much more streamlined than its previous iteration.

m11pro16.jpg

m11pro1.jpg

m11pro2.jpg

The adjustment system is the same in terms of how it is manipulated - a ratchet system with a release button. Squeeze and it becomes tighter; release and open to make it wider. However, the difference between the M11 Pro and the M11 is the size; the M11's back plate was much bigger and was fastened by rivets halfway up the helmet. This one is much smaller.

m11pro3.jpg

Now, looking inside the helmet. Same foam as the M11, the SEVEN coils are all covered.

m11pro4.jpg

One of the side anchors goes here. Not much holding it here; will be something to monitor. Perhaps a washer would serve well in here. Do note that there is only one anchor hole, so you would have to remove the bottom screw first, then you can access the top anchor.

m11pro5.jpg

m11pro6.jpg

This plastic rivet holds the liner to the rear adjustment mechanism. Not going to take that off; it seems permanent.

m11pro7.jpg

To begin to remove the liner, pull down on the forehead pad. They are held to the shell by Velcro.

m11pro8.jpg

Once it is pulled, all you have to do is pull them off each SEVEN cluster, and off it comes.

m11pro9.jpg

m11pro10.jpg

At this point, just peel back the center pad...

m11pro15.jpg

...and here's what lies underneath.

m11pro11.jpg

m11pro12.jpg

m11pro13.jpg

m11pro14.jpg

It's a bit tight on me, however, the more I wore it (while I wrote this) the better it started to feel. However, I started to realize why. I started to sweat.

That prompted me to look at the vents. The vents on top of the helmet are extremely wide open. However, every other vent leads to the SEVEN pads, which, remember, are covered by the liner. Almost every other helmet on the market, if one were to look through the vents, would see the actual head. I won't pass judgment until it is on ice, which I will do in an hour.

I'd like to thank Mary-Kay Messier, Jeff Colburn and Matt Carlson for seeding the helmet. We saw the helmet back in October but details were sparse at that moment. Cascade was able to get me details as time went on, and I appreciate that.

Any questions? Also, I will be sitting in on a call with Mark Messier in the coming weeks. So, definitely, any good questions asked here, I'll definitely relay back.

I was hoping for this review. I have used the M11 for over two years. I switched back to the 4500 because of the headaches the M11 gave me, which has been a common problem with M11 users as stated in the M11 thread. I would have to remove the helmet after one period of hockey because of the pressure points it created and for a number of shifts after. I believe it is the cylindrical cells or coils in the 7 technology that creates the pressure.

Can you ask them, and can you describe with your review... if and how they have addressed this issue?

Thanks JR

I really do not like the look of that ratchet system just being exposed like that. Or did you remove a plate that covers it? Exposed like that, it makes the helmet look so unpolished. Otherwise styling is ok but mostly bland, especially the bottom half which has just a big flat part that looks dull.

I'm glad to see you're reviewing this helmet. I've been using the M11 for a couple years and it's very comfortable for me - the only helmet that I've tried on that compares comfort wise is the RE-AKT. Based on that, when I choose my next helmet the M11 Pro and RE-AKT will definitely be on my short list. Any direct comparisons between the two helmets would be great - I know it's difficult to compare protection (outside of lab testing), but comfort and ventilation could be compared.

I'd also be curious to know if the ventilation is indeed better on the M11 Pro vs. the M11 as that's one of the marketing claims. Now, if you haven't used the previous M11 you won't be able to compare those directly. Obviously the look is more streamlined.

I've seen some comments online (and had an acquaintance that it happened to) that forehead cuts are common in the original M11 helmet. I've heard varying theories as to why, from the seven cells compressing too much on front impacts causing the shell to impact the forehead... to the shell lip having a sharp edge. Just curious if they have reviewed any of those reported cuts, and if they've made any changes to the helmets to address the possible issue?

I've seen some comments online (and had an acquaintance that it happened to) that forehead cuts are common in the original M11 helmet. I've heard varying theories as to why, from the seven cells compressing too much on front impacts causing the shell to impact the forehead... to the shell lip having a sharp edge. Just curious if they have reviewed any of those reported cuts, and if they've made any changes to the helmets to address the possible issue?

usually it is from the thin padding wearing down over time due to rubbing/impacts with the hard plastic cells. Replacement pads, like Easton offers, is one possible solution.

Nope, it's exposed

I really do not like the look of that ratchet system just being exposed like that. Or did you remove a plate that covers it? Exposed like that, it makes the helmet look so unpolished. Otherwise styling is ok but mostly bland, especially the bottom half which has just a big flat part that looks dull.

Yes, except for the adjustment plate in the back.

Is this a one-piece shell like the E700?

Initial thoughts based on my hourlong skate with it (no visor either)...I did not seem to feel any noticeable ventilation. Remember, I shave my head, and on some helmets my head gets downright cold. I removed the helmet 5 times during the skate to assess how much sweat I had pooled up. It was quite a bit, more than what I experienced with the RE-AKT.

I'm glad to see you're reviewing this helmet. I've been using the M11 for a couple years and it's very comfortable for me - the only helmet that I've tried on that compares comfort wise is the RE-AKT. Based on that, when I choose my next helmet the M11 Pro and RE-AKT will definitely be on my short list. Any direct comparisons between the two helmets would be great - I know it's difficult to compare protection (outside of lab testing), but comfort and ventilation could be compared.

I'd also be curious to know if the ventilation is indeed better on the M11 Pro vs. the M11 as that's one of the marketing claims. Now, if you haven't used the previous M11 you won't be able to compare those directly. Obviously the look is more streamlined.

Other than that - it was comfortable. Like I said, a bit tight, but so far, so good.

I love my M 11 helmet and am also curious to see if the new version ventilates any better. The use of a UA skull cap has worked well with absorbing the sweat and keeping it out of my eyes.

I have just tried on the REAKT at the local LHS in medium and didn't care much for the fit. They are expecting to get some larges in and will try it ASAP.

I could care less about the looks of a helmet and the bottom line is comfort and safety not necessarily in that order.

Saw Carter Ashton use the new M11 today at the Calder Cup Finals game, while Willie Mitchell is still using the old M11.

I use the regular M11, and it works well for me. This seems like a pretty small change from that helmet, certainly not something I'd pay to upgrade to, as long as my helmet is working. I assume it's similar in weight?

I honestly have no idea how people judge the aesthetics of helmets. All these modern helmets look the same to me. And if you get headaches from any helmet, I'd guess that it's just not right for your shape of head.

On the vents of the regular M11, it's mostly the same. In JR's "what lies beneath photo", you can see the holes that run along the very top of the Pro helmet and the long yellow vents along the upper side of the helmet mostly go through to the head in both the pro and regular (even with the liners covering the cells). But those long yellow vents are shaped differently on the Pro (smaller) than the regular. That seems like a poor decision. But yeah, those forward vents (the smaller yellow in JR's) go right into the cell padding. The regular also have vents in the back, which this Pro doesn't seem to have, but those rear vents also open into the padding.

And if you get headaches from any helmet, I'd guess that it's just not right for your shape of head.

The helmet fits great which is why I have used it for over two years. The back ratcheting panel creates pressure points and causes headaches.

Maybe because the back of my head is bumpy but others have had the same experience...if you check the Messier Project thread, including Pros have had that problem as well.

Read Herman's Post #116

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48186-the-messier-project/page__st__100

It's a great product which is why I stuck with it for so long, but if they enhanced that aspect, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

The helmet fits great which is why I have used it for over two years. The back ratcheting panel creates pressure points and causes headaches.

If I understand you correctly you're saying the helmet creates pressure points and causes headaches....but it fits great and you've endured these discomforts for 2 years? I don't understand this line of reasoning.

Have you always had this problem because of your head shape? Have you tried other helmets to see if you can get rid of the headaches?

I have previously used a CCM V10 and a Bauer 4500. I am currently using the 4500 as stated in my previous posts on this thread. The M11 fit is great for me until around the end of the 1st to the middle of the 2nd period, when I get headaches and start to feel pressure in the back of my head. I have to either take my helmet off or ratchet the helmet lose by 3 or 4 ticks.

Have you always had this problem because of your head shape? Have you tried other helmets to see if you can get rid of the headaches?

I did not have this problem with the V10 but initially did with the 4500 when breaking the helmet in.

I'm aware of what works and doesn't work for me. The question was specifically for Cascade and JR as they discuss or review the new helmet. Since it was a problem that was previously mentioned in the Messier thread, I thought it was important to have the question answered.

What is the weight of the M11 Pro? How does it compare in terms of weight to the RE-AKT and E700?

M11 Pro = 553 g

Easton E700 = 355g

Bauer RE-AKT = 484g