Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

Kings trash UFC

UFC tweeted that they had "a VIP ticket for Lord Stanley" and the Kings response was classic; "Sorry, the Cup is only for those who play a real sport." Obviously, some people got pissy and they pulled it. between this and the tweet about the Canucks, I can't believe this guy still has his job.

Damnable idiots. The UFC and NHL could be a solid partnership. And people wonder how we're looking at another potential lockout :facepalm:

No, the NHL has been trying to downplay the violence for years and just last year had a number of current and former enforcers deaths at least partially attributed to brain damage from fighting. Aligning with the UFC is not what they would want to do if they were sane.

I can't believe he still has his job either. No reason to trash another sport for something so little, totally classless. A partnership with the UFC wouldn't really make sense pretty much because of what Chadd said, however you could argue that there has never been a UFC fighter die from sport related injuries. (If you really wanted to stretch it)

I dunno, personally I get a kick out of the Kings twitter feed. The Canucks and Devils tweets were pure gold.

Though, bashing your opponent is one thing, bashing a whole other sport.. meh. With it being UFC, I couldn't care less since I personally think its crap, but I can see how UFC fans who are also hockey fans might not like it.

I love the King's Twitter strategy. It's been pure brilliance from a marketing standpoint in my opinion. This tweet is no different.

Common perception of televised professional wrestling is that it is indeed a fake sport. It's reality TV; we can quibble over exactly how much of it is scripted but I think most people would agree that it's not a "real" sport.

Sure, this tweet will irritate a few UFC fans, but it's going to get the King's name out there again and more people will agree with it than not.

Good use of Twitter.

There are definitely a ton of NHL fans who are also UFC fans. I understand them downplaying the NHL violence, but forging large scale partnerships is necessary too. Cutting off your nose to spite your face...

I love the King's Twitter strategy. It's been pure brilliance from a marketing standpoint in my opinion.

It's polarizing, you love it or hate it. I'm not a fan of the style, but that seems to be the direction that much of society is heading. Much more aggressive on so many levels.

I love the chirps, I think the UFC comment may have been a bit out of the line (since it has the potential to alienate Kings fans as well, unlike the other tweets).

They're talking about UFC, not WWE.

UFC is WWE with real punches. I'm just waiting for the day when UFC guys start offing themselves left and right due to the brain damage sustained from that nonsense.

for most people that dont play the game of hockey and see the skills behind it, fighting is the most interesting part to them

That is not true. For many of the UFC fans that also watch hockey that may be true, but certainly not for all fans.

for most people that dont play the game of hockey and see the skills behind it, fighting is the most interesting part to them

If that is all that you are watching for then we don't want you.

The Kings are right to turn away from a potential UFC cross marketing deal. While I accept that fighting has a place in hockey we need to continue to lessen its importance. I absolutely hate the reaction of the fans when fights break out. You see mothers and kids yelling "kill 'em" and worse. The more you watch it the worse it is. When you consider the place violence has in our society - and the extent to which we live in an increasingly dangerous world in all respects - the NHL would do well to stay far, far away from then neanderthal UFC,

UFC is WWE with real punches. I'm just waiting for the day when UFC guys start offing themselves left and right due to the brain damage sustained from that nonsense.

It will happen. It was mentioned above how no UFC fighters have had brain damage. Well lets throw in YET to end that sentence. You do not take those blows to the head without resulting concussions. The UFC is just still too young of a "sport" to have the long term issues pop up yet. And I'm sure the UFC will try to hide them ala NFL.

As for the Kings twitter feed....I personally love it. I think as far as social marketing goes it's a necessary thing. You need to differentiate yourself and this is how they are doing it. And now they have a cup to backup the cockey twitter feed. I think it's pretty funny personally.

It's not like the Calgary Flames twitter feed who chirped a players re-signing. Was it their own player that they chirped too? I can't remember.

What's with all the hate towards the UFC? Calling it a "sport" and saying things like "I'm just waiting for the day when UFC guys start offing themselves left and right due to the brain damage sustained from that nonsense." Anyone care to elaborate?

What's with all the hate towards the UFC? Calling it a "sport" and saying things like "I'm just waiting for the day when UFC guys start offing themselves left and right due to the brain damage sustained from that nonsense." Anyone care to elaborate?

Oh, its nothing specific about UFC. I make the same tone of comments about sports I dont like too. Don't take it personally.

I often say basketball and american football arent real sports, even though they obviously are. I just think they're both absolutely beyond boring to watch.

The lack of rules and barbarity make it just one step away from galditorial combat. It doesn't say much about our society that this is so popular. After all - we outlaw dog fighting and cock fighting but humans... sure.. go kill each other.

Oh, its nothing specific about UFC. I make the same tone of comments about sports I dont like too. Don't take it personally.

I often say basketball and american football arent real sports, even though they obviously are. I just think they're both absolutely beyond boring to watch.

Nothing personal at all, just wondering why the majority of people in this thread were bashing it. If you don't like, then you don't like it - not going to hold you against it at all, I really don't mind. I appreciate your honesty.

The lack of rules and barbarity make it just one step away from galditorial combat. It doesn't say much about our society that this is so popular. After all - we outlaw dog fighting and cock fighting but humans... sure.. go kill each other.

I won't disagree with you about that in the early 90's, but there are now plenty of rules to keep the fighters safe. It is nothing like dog fighting or cock fighting because these humans have been practicing the science martial arts for the better part of their lives. These guys are trained professionals, no different from an NHL or NBA player.

It is nothing like dog fighting or cock fighting because these humans have been practicing the science martial arts for the better part of their lives. These guys are trained professionals, no different from an NHL or NBA player.

The fact that one is trained for it does not decrease the sheer visciousness or barabrity. Gladiators trained too. Dogs are trained... same with cocks (tho I prefer mine to be untrained!).

Both sides of the UFC argument are valid. Personally, I'm a big fan of MMA. It is a sport, a combat sport. Same as boxing, kickboxing, muy tai, or any sport that requires beating the crap out of someone. Concussions and head trama are daily things for those crazy enough to take part in such things. The actual matches that you see on tv are the least of the things that they go through. The training camps that fighters endure when preparing for a bout are absolutely insane. If you added up all of the beatings they take during training, it would be a miracle that they can even form sentences.

With all of that aside, MMA can be poetry in motion if you look at it from a technical standpoint. If someone watches a bout with no knowledge of what is going on, it looks like two guys rolling around on a mat, or a boxing match with tiny gloves. BUT if you realize what someone can do to someone if they are a black belt in jiu-jitsu, or if you know what it feels like to get a tai kick to your thigh, you get a more complete picture of the sport.

The people bashing MMA have a point, but so do the MMA fans. We have a cyclical argument here.