Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

akravetz

The effect of sweat on pads

I know the topic title looks really stupid but i couldn't think of anything else to put. basically, My wear is a few years old and while it stinks to high holy hell, I think it is fine. My wife, who isn't a hockey player but works in sports medicine, thinks the padding in the elbow pads and the shin guards goes bad due to the sweat. It is a bit of a debate at our house. You guys are more expert than us. Can sweat and repeated use (two to three times each week over a few years) wear gear out to the point where you have to replace Or, is it like I think, personal preference. Thanks

Sweat contains primarily water and salt, both of which tend to have a degenerative effect on most things in which they come into contact. When you factor in other wear and tear on the gear, yes equipment needs to be replaced and older equipment is not giving the maximum possible protection. That said, in rec league no check hockey it's not really such a big deal.

I thought so. I think she's just sick of the funky smell. I told her that's the smell of fun. She put the stuff outside in the garage. :)

If you can parlay her stance into a case for buying new equipment, why not take advantage of it? I frequently read about guys complaining all over this board of wives who resent their hockey purchases; if she doesn't play hockey herself, maybe the next best thing is a wife who will forgive some spendy hockey purchases out of her concern for your safety and the quality of your gear. To the hockey store!

The pads are probably fine for play but if they smell, there is a good chance you are not properly drying out your padding and have a lot of nasty bacteria growing in them. Anti-microbial febreeze does a nice job on getting rid of the smell, then it is just a matter of making sure you air out your gear after use.

Best way to get new equipment is to get injured, they always want to buy you "more protective" gear after that. As for sweat, yes it causes the eventual demise of gear. Some folks sweat is worse than others, diet plays a big part in that. I've found that some sweat will eat away a eyelet in months, others can have same model skate for years with zero eyelet issues.

If you can parlay her stance into a case for buying new equipment, why not take advantage of it?

Well said

The pads are probably fine for play but if they smell, there is a good chance you are not properly drying out your padding and have a lot of nasty bacteria growing in them.

+1

Well, I come home after each game or practice, take out the stuff, hang up the gear or lay it out in the garage. I don't what else to do. I confess I don't have top if the line stuff but I don't need it or want to pay for it. :) The gist has been a back and forth as she wants to throw all the gear into the washing machine (it's an old 1970s top loader). I say no way, it'll destroy it. so she says it's ruined already... see where we are going with this? Love my wife but she's wrong here.

Is cleaning gear that tough, lol? After every game my socks, jersey, skull cap, skate socks, and undergarments go into the wash on a gentle cycle with Woolite. In the meantime my skates get the footbeds pulled and lightly sprayed with Febreze and go in front of the fan. Shoulders, gloves, shins, and pants all get sprayed with Febreze and join the skates in front of the fan. Jock and helmet get rinsed under the shower and they join the crowd to dry. Then every so often I fill the tub with warm water and Woolite and clean the shoulders, gloves, shins, and pants. Then rinse and dry followed by a light spray of Febreze. It's never done any damage to a single piece of equipment to do what I've done.

I hang my gear or at least take it out of the bag & lay it on the floor to air out & dry after each game (I take my insoles out of my skates & hang the skates upside down). My jerseys, socks, Under Armour, jock & skull cap get washed after a game (sometimes I'll go 2 games with the jock & skull cap) on the delicate cycle in my front load washer. I soak my mouth guard in Efferdent or Listerine every game or 2 as well. About once a year, I'll take my pads, pants, gloves, skates, helmet, & mouth guard/case & have them professionally cleaned using ozone. My gear smells like its used most of the time, but it is not overpowering.

Well, I come home after each game or practice, take out the stuff, hang up the gear or lay it out in the garage. I don't what else to do. I confess I don't have top if the line stuff but I don't need it or want to pay for it. :) The gist has been a back and forth as she wants to throw all the gear into the washing machine (it's an old 1970s top loader). I say no way, it'll destroy it. so she says it's ruined already... see where we are going with this? Love my wife but she's wrong here.

If you don't want to bang it around in the washing machine, fill the bathtub with warm water and a little detergent and soak your stuff for a while, then rinse and air dry. Same results, less washing machine abuse to your stuff and maybe it'll satisfy the wife. I do this like once a year, (yes, I'm gross, but my stuff also never seems to smell too bad), and between that and always airing things out after games, it seems to get the job done.

The pads are probably fine for play but if they smell, there is a good chance you are not properly drying out your padding and have a lot of nasty bacteria growing in them. Anti-microbial febreeze does a nice job on getting rid of the smell, then it is just a matter of making sure you air out your gear after use.

Agreed. might want to add oil secretions from the body as also contributing. Drying Gear afterwards goes a long way in helping keeping the stink down

I do wash all the jerseys, socks, jock shorts, and other stuff every night or at least after I use them. They are sprayed down with FeBreeze by the wife but she says it's awful. TO me, it's fine. Then again, I am a whitewater kayaker and that stuff also stinks. I guess I picked sports that smell. Go figure. But again, the gear is never in the bag more than a few hours after a game or practice. Everything is hung up and aired out. Footbeds come out of my skates and the skates are wiped down. I don't want people to think I am a slob.

I will try the bathtub thing. We have a break coming in September for a month or so, so I might try then.

Andy