Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

hey guys, i had to send in my mako 1's to easton canada with about 9 days left on my warranty. I had severe mako bumps even after doing the home-fix methods here, and also clicking steel even after plenty of hardware tightening. Other than that, they were the best fitting skates i ever had (more on that after), and were so comfortable.

They just received my skates today, and i gave them a call to check up on the status. I guess they decided that they would send me a pair of the mako 2's as replacement, how generous. He said it's definitely not normal practice for them to do so as they still had the 1's on hand, but they'll do that for me. Even better, he let me downsize to a 7.5 from the 8's that i sent in. they 8's had still been the best fitting skate i ever had, and they were nice out of the box pre-bake, but like you guys were finding, post-baking and post-break in, it definitely felt like i gained a bit of space in the toe-box, so much so that i was thinking a 7.5 might have been the better choice. After reading alot of your guys' replies, i'm thinking that 7.5 was definitely the way to go since you all say it should almost be impossible to get into the skate unless its baked. (i was able to get into the 8 without baking it). Either way, mako 2's in 7.5 are on their way to me sometime, and i can't wait to have that same comfort level and performance without the bumps! Only issue was that his computer isn't showing stock until September 3rd for the 7.5's, and august 27th for the 8's, so i'll be waiting a bit, but i don't really play much hockey anyways until then. Minor wait for a big gain the way i see it.

Big ups to easton canada and CS department!

I wonder how that will impact my warrenty issue... Is Easton Canada different than what my LHS in Wisconsin would be working with to address my skate problems? Curious, as far as stock goes

I'm having my Makos warranty replaced with Mako IIs in the US.

I'm having my Makos warranty replaced with Mako IIs in the US.

No indication that it would be a delayed process? I think my LHS sent them in on the 7th, not certain when I'd be receiving anything back (old or new). You know how long the process should reasonably take?

No indication that it would be a delayed process? I think my LHS sent them in on the 7th, not certain when I'd be receiving anything back (old or new). You know how long the process should reasonably take?

i sent mine last friday, it said upon receiving they usually want about 2 business days to process and return. He said if they had some in stock they would have went out monday and i would have got them in 2 days. this is canada though, but i would think that easton down there would act just as fast. i don't know why theres such a large stock shortage up here. He did say though that for sure they could easily come sooner, thats just what his computer is showing for stock.

Well, I'm getting them from the shipment that's coming to my LHS and last week they said it would be 2-3 weeks. So, 1-2 weeks from now. It depends on size though, because I know some sizes are already in some LHSs in the area.

anyone know if easton will offer replacement mako 2 footbeds?

I contacted Easton, and they did say they would start selling the mako II extendon guard retail. I guess its not out of the question that they would start selling the footbed since they are selling the extendon guard. If I had to guess though I'd say no. Maybe you can somehow get it directly from them if you are interested.

I just got my Mako 2's size 10.5EE on Saturday but won't get a chance to try them on the ice till I'm back from holidays next week. After following this post for the last yr I really hope I like them and they help with my skating. I wore them in the house a few hrs last night and the right one was gettin a little sore. Maybe I had them too tight as they really wrap around your foot. I'm coming from a long time Graf 707 10.5W user and always tide them really tight. I will let u know you guys how I like them after I get some icetime.

Edited by SpideyDiG

You don't need to crank down on the laces with the Makos. Yes, make sure they are snug but they don't need to be as tight as possible either.

You don't need to crank down on the laces with the Makos. Yes, make sure they are snug but they don't need to be as tight as possible either.

Mine are barely tight at all, until the top couple. Barely even snug. Any more than that and I get pain.

Mine are barely tight at all, until the top couple. Barely even snug. Any more than that and I get pain.

It's comments like this and others ("I could barely get my foot in the skate prior to baking it") that make me think my pair could be 0.5 too large. I went from Easton S12s in size 8.5D to Makos in size 7.5D. I tried on the 7.0s but my toes touched the front of the boot (I don't recall if it was more upward contact or forward contact with the front end).

As mentioned above, my 7.5s are being looked at for warrenty concerns, but I wonder if there is any possibility of moving down to 7.0 or if this is necessary. I tighten my Makos pretty tightly right now. No concern about looseness until the end of a 1.5 skate, where I notice I could retighten, but that seems more of a normal issue than a boot fit issue, right?

It's comments like this and others ("I could barely get my foot in the skate prior to baking it") that make me think my pair could be 0.5 too large. I went from Easton S12s in size 8.5D to Makos in size 7.5D. I tried on the 7.0s but my toes touched the front of the boot (I don't recall if it was more upward contact or forward contact with the front end).

As mentioned above, my 7.5s are being looked at for warrenty concerns, but I wonder if there is any possibility of moving down to 7.0 or if this is necessary. I tighten my Makos pretty tightly right now. No concern about looseness until the end of a 1.5 skate, where I notice I could retighten, but that seems more of a normal issue than a boot fit issue, right?

Mine felt too small while on my feet before baking, and perfect during baking. Then after cooling they were actually too small for the first couple skates, but then they got worked in a bit and now they're perfect. I can still touch the toecap if I try but with a knee bend I don't. They're fantastic :)

I may have got mine a 1/2 size too big. If I don't tie them pretty snug, I feel too much slop. Especially when wearing thin socks. I got mine before shops were accustomed to baking them prior to the sale. I don't think I have extra room in the toe box though to give up. The composite and tongues on mine are definitely showing wear. I'll probably need some Mako IIs in the next six months. Hopefully Total Hockey will allow me to bake a pair a half size down from my current size before I buy.

Baking before buying is a thing? Neither of my two LHS in Madison have indicated that would be allowed... Is there concern about the amount of times a pair might be baked before going home with someone?

I may have got mine a 1/2 size too big. If I don't tie them pretty snug, I feel too much slop. Especially when wearing thin socks. I got mine before shops were accustomed to baking them prior to the sale. I don't think I have extra room in the toe box though to give up. The composite and tongues on mine are definitely showing wear. I'll probably need some Mako IIs in the next six months. Hopefully Total Hockey will allow me to bake a pair a half size down from my current size before I buy.

Baking before buying is a thing? Neither of my two LHS in Madison have indicated that would be allowed... Is there concern about the amount of times a pair might be baked before going home with someone?

You have to bake Makos to be able to tell if they will fit because of the way they are constructed.

You guys are really lucky with the customer service in the USA, here in Canada, Quebec at least, never have i heard anyone allowing baking before buying. As far as i know some shops even bake for free, here we have shops that charge up to 50$ for baking if not purchased in store.

You guys are really lucky with the customer service in the USA, here in Canada, Quebec at least, never have i heard anyone allowing baking before buying. As far as i know some shops even bake for free, here we have shops that charge up to 50$ for baking if not purchased in store.

Despite Easton saying its necessary? I know baking before buying isn't common practice otherwise, but for Makos its necessary.

Same here, I tie them only tight enough that the laces are taut. Came from Bauers that I tied as tight as I could.

We always will bake before purchase to allow the customer to ge the best fit before decision. Just today, I spent 1 hr baking, then molding a pair of Makos and a pair of Tacks for a customer. (They chose the Makos) Nevertheless, why would a shop spend the labor/time baking someone's skates they purchased elsewhere for free? We bake for free all skates purchased in our store, but if somone comes in off the street with skates they bought elsewhere,they have to pay for that service. Otherwise, what do I get out of it, a $2.00 roll of tape? The location you bought them should be doing the baking, if they don't, they shouldn't be able to sell the skates. Most stores in my area charge $50 to bake skates not purchased at their store, this seems to be the norm.

• Like 1

Most stores in my area charge $50 to bake skates not purchased at their store, this seems to be the norm.

And I'm more than happy to pay it when I buy skates online or whatever. That should be part of the decision making process when determining whether buying online makes the most sense or not.

We always will bake before purchase to allow the customer to ge the best fit before decision. Just today, I spent 1 hr baking, then molding a pair of Makos and a pair of Tacks for a customer. (They chose the Makos) Nevertheless, why would a shop spend the labor/time baking someone's skates they purchased elsewhere for free? We bake for free all skates purchased in our store, but if somone comes in off the street with skates they bought elsewhere,they have to pay for that service. Otherwise, what do I get out of it, a $2.00 roll of tape? The location you bought them should be doing the baking, if they don't, they shouldn't be able to sell the skates. Most stores in my area charge $50 to bake skates not purchased at their store, this seems to be the norm.

Why do some shops bake skates for free in the states then? They do not know how to run a business?

Who is 'we'?. Which store/franchise you work for?

But good on you for letting people getting a real feel of the skate before buying.

Edited by icewalker_bg