Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Boston Bruins: 2013

So...anyone have any ideas to fix the powerplay? Just because they're winning doesn't mean we should turn our heads...I know they (and the LAK) won a cup with a terrible PP, but a halfway-average PP would make life a little easier at times. Any credence to the thought that maybe Claude's "defense first" approach stifles the offensive creativity, even on the PP?

They obviously don't have any ideas because they continue to do the same thing and get no results. Since Savard got hurt no one has been able to spark any creativity on the PP.

When they get in the zone they just go to the corners & points. Rarely do the create a lot of traffic in front of the net either.

Most of there powerplay goals this year are on giveaways or lucky bounce.

Unless they bring in a coach to work with the powerplay it won't get better.

besides the "blast from the point" approach that they use on at least one unit, they really don't have anyone as creative as Savard to take charge on the other unit. I would've hoped they could've at least drafted someone with that kind of creativity and command while maintaining the two-way play the system needs to have. From what I can see from the guys they have in Providence, only Spooner and Camper seem to be putting up the assists. But they aren't putting them up at the rate they need to to get a shot at the big club.

I think they have enough talent. I think it has more to do with coaching than anything else.

The Bruins currently sit at 27th in the league on the powerplay. I have a hard time believing that with the players they have they aren't higher in PP%.

Most powerplays in the league have a lot of movement to them and when they aren't moving, they are moving the puck quickly. When you become predictable, it's easier to defend. As big as Chara's shot is, it's still predictable.

I've noticed Chris Bourque has been put on the fourth line two or three times over the past two weeks. He's had one game where his effort and speed was excellent, so he filled in on the top line while Lucic sat a misconduct, but his overall effort has been inconsistent. I think he's a borderline NHLer at best and it's obvious the coaching staff wants better results, since the third line's productivity is not clicking compared to last season.

I've noticed Chris Bourque has been put on the fourth line two or three times over the past two weeks. He's had one game where his effort and speed was excellent, so he filled in on the top line while Lucic sat a misconduct, but his overall effort has been inconsistent. I think he's a borderline NHLer at best and it's obvious the coaching staff wants better results, since the third line's productivity is not clicking compared to last season.

I have to agree with that assesment. CB is a really good AHL player/fringe NHL'er. It just seems Boston is trying to force him into a 3rd line spot due to his pedigree and since his dad is a local legend......

Couldn't really stick with Wash/Pitt either.

putting him on the 4th line and move Pie up to 3 seems legit.

The real answer is putting him in the minors and putting someone with more strength and size on the third line. Paille doesn't have the skill to help that line produce.

Although the rumors have them sniffing around on Jarome Iginla, and after going to the Avs game and seeing him pot two, I'll say I'd be happy with that....

As nice as Iginla would be to have, can you really ask him to accept third line duty and minutes? The top two lines are pretty much cemented with the exception of the odd tinkering when pucks aren't going in and I just don't see Iginla being happy not being on the top two lines. He would be a fantastic addition to that line but I just don't see him landing there. The other name getting tossed around is Briere and I don't think he makes much sense either, simply because he seems to be seriously declining, and he's not that guy that you need to win those puck battles.

I understand what you're saying, and the obvious question is who goes from the current lineup, but this might be a Ray Bourque decision for Iginla. He's missed the playoffs in ten of the fifteen seasons he played, while also having had the heartache of a Game 7 loss in the Stanley Cup Finals, so he may be willing to take the third line shifts and power play minutes for a shot at winning.

But, again, the only player we'd really be want to see pulled from the roster is Bourque, so how much would it cost to get Iginla (or Alfredsson) and how much incrementally better would losing anyone else make the team? To me, the answer is not much if it's any other player, so the next question is how willing would Calgary or Ottawa be to accept minor leaguers and draft picks?

Considering that both are set to be unrestricted free agents, the asking price may not be as high as it would be if they had years remaining on deals and could have some conditional pieces (ie. if Iginla/Alfredsson sign a contract with receiving team or if receiving teams goes so far in playoffs). Where Alfredsson has already contemplated retirement last summer (and I'm guessing he will retire this summer), his price will probably be a good bit lower than Iginla's.

If Iginla gets moved and does get a Cup, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign back with Calgary over the summer. If he doesn't win but gets close then he'll probably sign on with the receiving team.

Problem is that I don't think that Alfredsson is going anywhere. Last week he reiterated that he did not want to be traded to a cup contender. Things behind the scene may be different though but I don't think Alfredsson's going anywhere.

I'm curious whether anyone else felt it looked like Tampa Bay was helping to get the calls last night. I saw two occasions, one blatant, when it seems TB turned into the boards at the last second for a boarding call.

The more egregious was Pandolfo against I believe KIllorn. The two of them were chasing the puck down the boards to the left of Tampa's goalie, with Killorn slightly in the lead. He looks over his left shoulder to see Pandolfo trying to close on him, so he knew exactly what was coming. Most people would push the puck ahead toward their defenseman with the back of the stick, while bracing their right shoulder against the boards to prepare for the hit they know is coming. However, as Pandolfo closed the gap, at the last second Killorn turned toward his right into the boards to push the puck with a backhander towards the D, then turned further to his right towards the other end of the rink.

Now, anyone who's been skating twenty years would know that's a crazy move, because it puts you in position to get hit in a vulnerable position.

Unless you want they to happen, which I think I saw on at least one other occasion.

Pure randomness or strategy by TB? They are fourth in the league in PP time.

I'm curious whether anyone else felt it looked like Tampa Bay was helping to get the calls last night. I saw two occasions, one blatant, when it seems TB turned into the boards at the last second for a boarding call.

The more egregious was Pandolfo against I believe KIllorn. The two of them were chasing the puck down the boards to the left of Tampa's goalie, with Killorn slightly in the lead. He looks over his left shoulder to see Pandolfo trying to close on him, so he knew exactly what was coming. Most people would push the puck ahead toward their defenseman with the back of the stick, while bracing their right shoulder against the boards to prepare for the hit they know is coming. However, as Pandolfo closed the gap, at the last second Killorn turned toward his right into the boards to push the puck with a backhander towards the D, then turned further to his right towards the other end of the rink.

Now, anyone who's been skating twenty years would know that's a crazy move, because it puts you in position to get hit in a vulnerable position.

Unless you want they to happen, which I think I saw on at least one other occasion.

Pure randomness or strategy by TB? They are fourth in the league in PP time.

I think Tampa has a history of playing that way in recent years.

I think a lot of the calls yesterday were questionable, for both teams.

It was also nice to see the Bruins take advantage of there powerplays yesterday. There first PP goal was a nicely executed play. I think they should keep two defensemen on the points on there powerplay units. I would much rather see Seguin & Krejci down low than at the points.

Interesting quote by Julien after last night's game, because it somewhat goes along with what I said after the Tampa game:

"Tonight, as everybody saw, there was a lot of embellishment. This is embarrassing for our game, the embellishing. They’ve got 100 power plays so far. It’s pretty obvious why. We’re trying to clean that out of our game. It’s got to be done soon. Because it’s not about tonight. It’s about the game. The embellishment embarrasses our game. We’ve got to be better about that. It’s pretty obvious when P.K. gets hit, he throws himself into the glass and holds his head. You know what? We start calling those things for embellishment, maybe teams stop doing it. Until we take charge of that, it’s going to be an issue.”

I only saw about half of the game and didn't see what Julien was complaining about so I won't comment. But what I saw yesterday was a pretty entertaining game and two teams who battled hard. Montreal took most of the hits but got back up and kept coming at the Bruins. That Gallagher kid is very impressive. Not afraid of going in the traffic.

Yemelin certainly deserved a penalty but for Julien to complain about Chara's 17 minutes of penalty? I mean Chara came from pretty far, hit Yemelin who didn't have the puck, dropped the gloves and just proceeded on clobbering Yemelin. Don't now if Seguin did anything to Yemelin for Yemelin to cross check him that way as Yemelin does not have a history of cheap shots. Sure he hits hard but usually hits clean as well. I thought Prust was pretty brave to fight Lucic as well. He took the beating but it seemed to turn the tides a bit.

I agree with what you say, because I didn't notice it as much last night as i did Saturday night. But I also agree with Julien that we still have players (and maybe team philosophies) that seem to purposefully position themselves to be able to draw a penalty on a player who can't change course at the last instant. We could say that's just being smart, but it's essentially the first player cheating to get someone who's playing by the rules to receive a penalty for breaking the rules.

It's the hockey version of the soccer flop.

Chara didn't drop the gloves until Emelin came up with gloved hands flying. I've got no problem with Chara getting an extra 2 for roughing but the instigator was wrong.

You may be right but then again, Emelin didn't have much of a choice. Chara was standing over him waiting for him to get up so he could start clobbering him. And Emelin isn't supposed to fight. He's strictly forbidden to do so because of the metal plates in his face. I guess he just knew that the gloves were going to fly out. Keep in mind that Chara went directly after him hence the instigator perhaps?

Now I know some will say that if you can't fight, don't go throwing cross checks etc. Just beats me on why he did this as it's not his style of play. He hits often and hard but usually not with cross checks or elbows. Maybe Seguin did something we didn't see? Or maybe it was simply a poor decision. Either way, he should have gotten a two on this that's for sure which would have lessen the Habs powerplay... Or maybe he got a two, can't remember.

I only saw about half of the game and didn't see what Julien was complaining about so I won't comment. But what I saw yesterday was a pretty entertaining game and two teams who battled hard. Montreal took most of the hits but got back up and kept coming at the Bruins. That Gallagher kid is very impressive. Not afraid of going in the traffic.

Yemelin certainly deserved a penalty but for Julien to complain about Chara's 17 minutes of penalty? I mean Chara came from pretty far, hit Yemelin who didn't have the puck, dropped the gloves and just proceeded on clobbering Yemelin. Don't now if Seguin did anything to Yemelin for Yemelin to cross check him that way as Yemelin does not have a history of cheap shots. Sure he hits hard but usually hits clean as well. I thought Prust was pretty brave to fight Lucic as well. He took the beating but it seemed to turn the tides a bit.

I think the point Julien was making was that if there was a call on Emelin for cross checking, Chara wouldn't have gone after him.

I thought it was a good game. The Bruins got running around at times and cost them a couple of goals.

Emelin had already turtled and that was probably going to be the end of it. Chara was standing over him and an official was about to shoo Chara away when Emelin hopped up arms flailing. Emelin didn't have to engage Chara at that point. Chara was just waiting and hoping he'd get up.

I also think that Julien was referring to the theatrical display of PK Subban behind his own net on a no-hit from either Campbell or Thornton (not sure...) some time in the third period. Luckily, it was not called but it was clear that Subban's flapping and falling intented to draw a penalty.

Marchand taking a flop here and there doesn't change the fact that flopping is a tactic of the Montreal Canadiens. Classic online debate tactic, attack the speaker and don't address the topic at hand. While Julien's words will fall on deaf ears with officials and teams like the Canadiens and Canucks, maybe it will change the behavior of his resident pest.

All that said, embellishment is a problem again across the league. In every city guys are taking bumps from behind, launching into the glass, and wrapping their arms around their head for a second or two. They either stay there to finish selling the call or hop right up quick as a bunny when the peak at the ref reveals that no call is forthcoming. It is an epidemic and the mandate to protect players has put referees in a tough spot. Call what looked like a bad hit or wait a couple of seconds to see if the guy is helping it along. We all know they can't stand there having an internal debate while play carries on, it has to be a split second decision and once the arm goes up it can't come back down. You can't unring a bell, put the bullet back in the gun, or pull the arm down.