Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Boston Bruins: 2013

Empty netter made it 7-4. After a goal you are allowed to change players and any pro coach worth his salt knows you don't throw out guys who can't handle themselves in garbage time unless their protected. Poor bench management and bush timeout.

It sounds like this may have been a move to make it over the salary cap floor. It's still uncertain whether Thomas will come back next year to play (and he's currently suspended), but his $5mil salary counts against the cap. I'm not entirely sure about the NYI goalie situation.

One reply on TSN said he counts towards the cap, to get to the floor, but NYI doesn't have to pay him, because he's suspended for not reporting to the Bruins. Not sure of the validity of that>

i assumed that the bruins were just waiting to see if rask could step up and handle the #1 job - so they must feel confident that he can now. Maybe the bruins think thomas is just going to retire and would rather get something for him now. As far as the islanders maybe nabokov has said he would like to go to a team with a chance of winning the cup soon?

Buzz - thats exactly right, whilst his salary amount gets added for cap reasons, he is suspended due to not fulfilling contract obligations (ie playing when not injured or 'selected') therefor he forfeits his pay...

So its a cap hit without the actual cash going out.

I also heard a report that he doesnt want to play again for boston? but it was only in one report... so who knows, maybe he gets traded back next year to play for boston, and its all a financial move?

They could get a lot more than a second rounder for Nabokov at the deadline. This could work well for them, either way.

They could get a lot more than a second rounder for Nabokov at the deadline. This could work well for them, either way.

Do you think Tim Thomas will actually ever suit up for the Islanders? I don't.

I fully appreciate everything Thomas did for the Bruins. I have no ill feelings towards him at all.

Disappointing the way things played out for him after not going with the team to the white house. Politics aside it is something he'll probably never have the chance to experience again.

Hopefully with his cap space opening up they may be able to add someone to help this team.

Why? He was arguably the biggest factor in the Bruins cup win.

Good riddance for the Bruins because Thomas it seems didn't want to play for the Bruins anymore and I don't think the players want him back either. By getting rid of him the Bruins get rid of a problem, a distraction and create a nice 5 millions worth of cap space which will either permit them to acquire a player or two at the deadline or help them for next season when the cap's going to be lower. It also gives them the option of having another compliance buy out instead of wasting it on Thomas which might have been an option considered by the Bruins.

Good riddance for the Bruins because Thomas it seems didn't want to play for the Bruins anymore and I don't think the players want him back either. By getting rid of him the Bruins get rid of a problem, a distraction and create a nice 5 millions worth of cap space which will either permit them to acquire a player or two at the deadline or help them for next season when the cap's going to be lower. It also gives them the option of having another compliance buy out instead of wasting it on Thomas which might have been an option considered by the Bruins.

I can't agree with that first sentence. I think the Boston media did what it does and basically ran him out of town. You didn't hear anything at all when Manny Ramirez and Theo Epstein bailed on the visit to G.W.B's White House. Certain parties made it a distraction. I genuinely believe that the players didn't give one damn what Tim Thomas' personal politics were. It's irrelevant to hockey. If certain parties hadn't made such a massive deal out of it, he would have played out the string this season and retired a Bruin. Instead he's been made out as a villain, as if he's the first public figure to spout off about his political beliefs.

I'm glad to see Marchand acting like far less of a punk this year. He's much more skilled than most of us probably realized when he first played with the fourth line, so it's good to see that he seems to be accepting he'll be sticking on his skills and not agitation.

Every now and then it sneaks out a little but he has shown much more restraint this year than in the past. Since their powerplay is so horrible, the coaches probably told him that playing a skill game is worth more to the team than drawing penalties.

So...anyone have any ideas to fix the powerplay? Just because they're winning doesn't mean we should turn our heads...I know they (and the LAK) won a cup with a terrible PP, but a halfway-average PP would make life a little easier at times. Any credence to the thought that maybe Claude's "defense first" approach stifles the offensive creativity, even on the PP?

It is much too stationary which makes it too easy for aggressive penalty kills to have their way with them. There needs to be a lot more movement, both with the puck and away from the puck. The other thing they need to do is attack the offensive blue line with speed. There is no law that says you have to pull up and get into your powerplay formation on every rush. Start coming with speed and creating 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's around the ice. Once you've got teams respecting the rushes then you can find room for the traditional pass it around a little and let Chara shoot powerplay that they are so hell bent on maintaining.

I'm not sure how the numbers compare, but I think the powerplay actually looks better this year than it has the past two or three, and they're doing some of the things you mentioned, chippa. There's more movement by the players up top, more attempts to open seams for cross ice passes to the wings, more rushes through the neutral zone to bring speed into the offensive end.

Lucic is getting better at this, but I'd like to see a bit more parking in front of the net; it would increase the potency of shots from the point.