Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bar down

STX to produce hockey equipment in 2014

If they don't offer a stick at the highest price points, some people will assume they aren't as good. All of the other major manufacturers have multiple lines too, it is a bit interesting to see them starting with two lines at those price points right out of the gate.

Let me tell you lot about the different spec of carbon: 12k, 23k, 9k; it doesn't really matter!!! That number is always used on a cosmetic layer of twill.

The number just denotes the pattern of the twill. As far as what is UNDERNEATH the cosmetic layer, it is all just a boring looking mess of unidirectional fabric!!!! In so many cases, the higher number doesn't matter, except for that outer cosmetic layer!!!!

If that pretty layer of fabric wasn't on the stick, you'd just say carbon fibre was butt-ugly!!!!

Let me tell you lot about the different spec of carbon: 12k, 23k, 9k; it doesn't really matter!!! That number is always used on a cosmetic layer of twill.

The number just denotes the pattern of the twill. As far as what is UNDERNEATH the cosmetic layer, it is all just a boring looking mess of unidirectional fabric!!!! In so many cases, the higher number doesn't matter, except for that outer cosmetic layer!!!!

If that pretty layer of fabric wasn't on the stick, you'd just say carbon fibre was butt-ugly!!!!

So "xK" carbon is ABEC rating of the OPS world?

So "xK" carbon is ABEC rating of the OPS world?

In many ways, yes. This is not limited to hockey equipment, as the high end bicycle world has played this for YEARS. I never used the gimmicks, and always felt that the cosmetic layer was silly. Sure, there is number of threads that the "K" stands for, but some of it becomes downright dicey when it comes to forming tight joins and the like when it comes to a high number and being the actual unidirectional stuff used to make the actual piece. It stops bending after a certain number; NOT good for a square-shaped shaft, let alone a blade. Twill is rarely used to make anything; though I did use it exclusively for my Campagnolo Delta brake covers. It was my left-over pieces of cosmetic twill!!!

Any time.
And just to confirm for everyone else, all the other X patterns match up very well to Bauer patterns.

Any time.

And just to confirm for everyone else, all the other X patterns match up very well to Bauer patterns.

Yikes, didn't need to see that! I love the P46/Landeskog curve. STX cloning that *may* force me into trying one...

I've just found out that the STX I'd been using was a cosmetic sample and not the final product. I've edited my comments, so please disregard my earlier statements.

I'm awaiting a final productso I can get a true feel for it.

I feel shame.

Wow, they really did rip off Easton's stick design. RS2 and Mako II. Pretty sad. I mean, they could've put a bit of effort into it to come up with original designs.

stx-stallion-500-grip-sr-hockey-stick-1.

stx-surgeon-500-grip-sr-hockey-stick-1.j

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I was about to say similarly and brace myself for a barrage, but anyways. The catalogue doesn't have lower price-point sticks, anyone know if STX plans to roll some out in the future or is this just them testing the waters, to put it that way?

Just got a Surgeon 75 in the X9...wow.

Pleasantly surprised - really liking the whip in the shaft and the blade. Fired off about 50 shots in our demo booth after store closing.

got mine today as well. great balance and very good finishing quality. pretty curious about the blade. it's very thin and has some give when I bend it with my hand (it's still very stiff overall, though). seems like having the blade flex with the shaft is the next big thing in terms of OPS design, so looking forward to shooting some pucks with it.