Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

z1ggy

Looking to practice my shot in my basement

Found this on hockeymonkey. Says it's not meant for ice pucks, but I don't see why not? It's got the same diameter tubing for the posts as the "heavy duty" goal. Only thing I can think of is that the tubing isn't as thick, so it may dent, which I am fine with. I don't shoot that hard anyway.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/winnwell-hockey-accessories-72in-quick-mesh-backstop-net.html

Otherwise if I can't use this for pucks, I'd have to buy the heavy duty goal, with a seperate backstop (that doesn't say whether you can use it for pucks) for an additional price.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, I did do a forum search...

You could buy a really heavy duty rug or tarp to hang from the roof also, instead of a goal

True. There is drop ceiling in my basement though.. Not sure those thin metal pieces can support the weight of a large heavy tarp or rug.

The external diameter of the pipe is one thing but the thickness of the pipe (or the difference between the internal and external diameters, same thing, the information may be given one way or the other) will affect durabilty more.

You could get some black pipe at a home imporvement store and use flanges to secure it to something on the floor, and do something like this: not sure of the best way to fasten the tarp though...

I tarptarptarptarptarp I

I tarptarptarptarptarp I

I tarptarptarptarptarp I

I tarptarptarptarptarp I

The external diameter of the pipe is one thing but the thickness of the pipe (or the difference between the internal and external diameters, same thing, the information may be given one way or the other) will affect durabilty more.

You could get some black pipe at a home imporvement store and use flanges to secure it to something on the floor, and do something like this: not sure of the best way to fasten the tarp though...

I tarptarptarptarptarp I

I tarptarptarptarptarp I

I tarptarptarptarptarp I

I tarptarptarptarptarp I

I think I have decided against a tarp. Going to be too loud...

I have to watch this youtube video above when I get home to see how bad the steel would dent.

Hardest shot I take is prob <60mph. I'm not about to rip some 80 or 90mph slapshot anytime soon.

I use a rug. Works great. Quiet, keeps pucks from flying around, and you can hang targets from it.

You could take out two of the drop panels and bolt the rug to the joists.

I think I have decided against a tarp. Going to be too loud...

I have to watch this youtube video above when I get home to see how bad the steel would dent.

Hardest shot I take is prob <60mph. I'm not about to rip some 80 or 90mph slapshot anytime soon.

Don't you think shots off of a metal post will be a bit louder (an understatement), than a tarp? If noise is an issue, the tarp or rug would definitely be the way to go.

Also, if inside, a real goal takes up a lot of space. I too would recommend the tarp or something like the shooters edge. You're right though, probably don't want to hang it from a drop ceiling. I'm sure you could run some wire up through the tiles to a more sturdy support above it though.

Here's a YouTube video review. In the video, he demonstrates taking full-on clappers and actually denting the posts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoP7npOE4oI

I had a buddy that had that same goal. We used it for about two winters out on the mini rink, and the thing held up great. Lacing the net up sucked pretty bad when it was -5 outside, but other than that it was solid. Had a good amount of dents on the posts, but it was still stable and went together/broke down just fine afterwards.

I had a buddy that had that same goal. We used it for about two winters out on the mini rink, and the thing held up great. Lacing the net up sucked pretty bad when it was -5 outside, but other than that it was solid. Had a good amount of dents on the posts, but it was still stable and went together/broke down just fine afterwards.

This is what I was thinking. As I said, I do not shoot hard as I am new. I don't even know how to take a proper slapshot yet, but even once I do learn, I can't imagine they will be any harder than what that guy in the video was doing. I have watched many of his videos on youtube for other hockey related things, and he is a very good experienced player. If he only made tiny dents, I imagine I won't make any dents, or if I do, very small. And so what if it does dent? As long as the thing stand up and stays in oce piece, I could care less what it looks like.

Oh and I forgot to mention, I think I am going to stick this outside in my drive way. It might get cold out, but it will give me more room than in my basement, and I won't be making tons of noise.

I have that whole set up. Use it for ice pucks. Works great, no worries.

Only issue I had was the net rotted after being outside for a winter.

Good to know, thank you for the tip!

Maybe I will fold it up and leave it inside and take it outside and put it together again quickly when I want to use it.

For now I will probably only be using on weekends, as it gets dark out now around 5pm and that's about when I get home for the day.

Good to know, thank you for the tip!

Maybe I will fold it up and leave it inside and take it outside and put it together again quickly when I want to use it.

For now I will probably only be using on weekends, as it gets dark out now around 5pm and that's about when I get home for the day.

I found the folding mechanism wasn't great but I probably didn't put it together properly - I'm not particularly handy and often screw that stuff up.

I store mine in the garage hanging upside down from the ceiling. The ceiling is high so it fit with the car underneath. To do this I screwed in two big hooks (you can get them at Home Depot) into the ceiling. Make sure you go into then ceiling studs and pre-drill first. When my son or I want to shoot pucks we just take it down and put it back up when we want it.

Hooks: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Heavy-Duty-Garage-Screw-Hooks-Value-Pack-8-Pack-17954/202249701#

I found the folding mechanism wasn't great but I probably didn't put it together properly - I'm not particularly handy and often screw that stuff up.

I store mine in the garage hanging upside down from the ceiling. The ceiling is high so it fit with the car underneath. To do this I screwed in two big hooks (you can get them at Home Depot) into the ceiling. Make sure you go into then ceiling studs and pre-drill first. When my son or I want to shoot pucks we just take it down and put it back up when we want it.

Hooks: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Heavy-Duty-Garage-Screw-Hooks-Value-Pack-8-Pack-17954/202249701#

I don't have a garage unfortunately..Just a basement. The video posted above shows the guy assembling the entire thing and how it folds apart/together.

Instead of buying the $80 syntheic ice pad you see people using to shoot off of, I was thinking of buying a sheet of acrylic polyglass and coating it with Pledge or something. I saw a guy on youtube do it, although I'm not sure how durable it would be in the long run.

Here's a YouTube video review. In the video, he demonstrates taking full-on clappers and actually denting the posts.

We have this net or a variation in our garage. It is virtually destroyed. The bottom foot of the posts have pretty much been flattened as has the base at the back of the net, the posts at the bottom have been pulled inwards about 2-3" as a result, I go through a dozen zip ties every few weeks just to hold the mesh on and it is badly dented everywhere else. It's my kids, he got it for his 11th Christmas and is now 13. Can't imagine an adult shooting at it on a regular basis. You're going to need a tarp or something anyways if your walls are finished with drywall, we used two 4X8 sheets of 3/4" plywood.

I'd go tarp next time.

I don't have a garage unfortunately..Just a basement. The video posted above shows the guy assembling the entire thing and how it folds apart/together.

Instead of buying the $80 syntheic ice pad you see people using to shoot off of, I was thinking of buying a sheet of acrylic polyglass and coating it with Pledge or something. I saw a guy on youtube do it, although I'm not sure how durable it would be in the long run.

if you do a search there was a guy that tested a lot of surfaces out and he came some type of board he got form home depot and gave it the pledge treatment here and there. boards were like $30 i believe.

We have this net or a variation in our garage. It is virtually destroyed. The bottom foot of the posts have pretty much been flattened as has the base at the back of the net, the posts at the bottom have been pulled inwards about 2-3" as a result, I go through a dozen zip ties every few weeks just to hold the mesh on and it is badly dented everywhere else. It's my kids, he got it for his 11th Christmas and is now 13. Can't imagine an adult shooting at it on a regular basis. You're going to need a tarp or something anyways if your walls are finished with drywall, we used two 4X8 sheets of 3/4" plywood.

I'd go tarp next time.

I plan on putting it outside now. I measured my basement and there isn't really enough room for proper shooting.

And that's a lot of damage to this thing...I'm worried though if I got one of the big expensive nets that you'd see in a regular rink that it will rust being outside all the time, even if I cover it with a tarp. Thoughts?

not sure where you are from, but here in upstate NY if I type hockey into a craigslist search there is usually at least 3-5 used hockey goals. They ranging in quality and price. I have seen a goal very similar to ones you see at a rink go for $50. So if hockey is big where you are do a search and buy someones used goal.

I plan on putting it outside now. I measured my basement and there isn't really enough room for proper shooting.

And that's a lot of damage to this thing...I'm worried though if I got one of the big expensive nets that you'd see in a regular rink that it will rust being outside all the time, even if I cover it with a tarp. Thoughts?

If you're going to use your driveway I'd go with the big tarp with the net painted on it. It covers a 2 car garage has a regulation size net painted on it and is designed to have pucks shot at it. I like the Craigslist option if you can find a quality heavy duty steel net, there's really nothing heavy duty about the steel in the one you were looking at, i don't think rust will be as big a deal as mesh rot on a regulation rink. A new regulation style net can be purchased new for around what you'd pay for 2 of the lesser nets, if you're going to go that route you may as well get a regulation one, you'll probably have to replace your cheaper net eventually. I doubt I'd get $10 for ours on Craigslist.

Fair warning...

I took a hard slapshot at my basement net from about 15 feet away...hit the post and came straight back at me.

In the eye.

Black eye for a week and it messed up my glasses (which probably saved my eye).

Awkward story to tell everybody at work over the next few days.

I'd go with a tarp or something to deaden the puck in the future.

not sure where you are from, but here in upstate NY if I type hockey into a craigslist search there is usually at least 3-5 used hockey goals. They ranging in quality and price. I have seen a goal very similar to ones you see at a rink go for $50. So if hockey is big where you are do a search and buy someones used goal.

I'm actually from Albany...Weird. Went to Colonie high school. I live in CT now though and it's much less populated around here. I also assume the net doesn't disassemble easy? Not sure how I would pick the thing up unless I went to go rent a truck from uhaul.

I'll look into it.

As far as a tarp goes, I don't really have any place outside to hang one. I have a large retaining wall against my driveway because my front lawn is much higher than the driveway (because it slops down rapidly). At this rate, I might as well just paint a 4x6 rectangle on the wall and shoot pucks at that, haha.

I'm actually from Albany...Weird. Went to Colonie high school. I live in CT now though and it's much less populated around here. I also assume the net doesn't disassemble easy? Not sure how I would pick the thing up unless I went to go rent a truck from uhaul.

I'll look into it.

As far as a tarp goes, I don't really have any place outside to hang one. I have a large retaining wall against my driveway because my front lawn is much higher than the driveway (because it slops down rapidly). At this rate, I might as well just paint a 4x6 rectangle on the wall and shoot pucks at that, haha.

small world. I grew up on long island came here for college never left. I'm friends with a bunch of people from colonie hs they all graduated around 05 some before some after.

Assuming you can find someone to help you move the net maybe a friend with a pick up thats what I would do.

small world. I grew up on long island came here for college never left. I'm friends with a bunch of people from colonie hs they all graduated around 05 some before some after.

Assuming you can find someone to help you move the net maybe a friend with a pick up thats what I would do.

oh cool, I graduated in 06. Ualb I assume?

No friends with trucks unfortunately. i could probably rent one from uhaul for 15 or 20 bucks for a few hours if need be.