Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

5 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

Well, you do look more svelte than the initial pictures I saw of you.  Good angle?  *shrug*  Any way you can sneak in some more active time?  (other than hockey.) 

I've contemplated a neck guard.  Not for the 10 year olds, but more for the 50 year old ex-junior players who could probably break my stick with a shot, nevermind my softer parts.

Do you not wear a neck guard at all?! 

25 minutes ago, badger_14 said:

Optimus, if you don't mind my saying so, it's really apparently how much weight you've lost since starting goal. 

Beedee - jeebus.  All of your marbles still intact after that? 

I finally have the day off today (ahh no obligations) and went down the street for stick and puck.  I tested out the Bauer kneeguards.  They were strange at first, but did not feel too bulky at all, and there was only a bit of slippage near the end, which can be fixed by adjusting the straps.  They are quite stiff, in particular down in butterfly they dig a little bit into the outside of my thigh.  This is probably also because I am sort of fat.  But they were overall comfortable.  I don't want to test them in a game yet, I'll skate a few more times in a controlled environment with them to break them in and find the right adjustment.

Meanwhile, a ten year old caught me in the collarbone with a close, high shot and now I have a bruise.  But, the rink manager insisted my ice time was "on the house" (it's usually $5 for goalies) because I've always helped with nets and equipment when coaching, and am always helpful and encouraging to the kids even when not technically coaching.  So that was nice.  (I wanted to pay, I tried.) 

so you have a 5 dollar bruise? 

1 hour ago, OptimusReim said:

Do you not wear a neck guard at all?! 

Nope.  Like knee pads, it has not been at the top of my priority list for equipment.  I am usually fairly well protected with a dangler and my c/a. 

1 hour ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

so you have a 5 dollar bruise? 

Bruises come standard with the goalie package, but if you work extra especially hard, you can earn a free trip to the hospital.

• Like 1

Saturday night at 1020pm the puck dropped for our playoff game. We finished in 2nd place and were playing the 3rd place team. This team was in the higher level of our league, and dropped down after getting waxed the first 4 games of the season. The last time we played them it was close, but I think they edged us out 5-3, ironically, that was the score this time around too. They had one ringer who definitely should be in Silver, not Copper. I was happy to have stuffed him on multiple occasions Saturday night, he ended up with goals 4 and 5, both of which were garbage goals...i.e., I made one or two initial saves, no one cleared him or the puck and he banged them in.

Overall the game was a blast, I saved 27 of 32, and as usual, the scoresheet doesn't indicate the types of saves I made. Many two on ones, a couple two on 0's and even 2 breakaways, all were stuffed by me. (humble brag) The game was back and forth, they went up first, then we tied, then they went up, then we tied, then we went up, then they tied, then they went up late in the 3rd and that was it. 

First goal- bang bang bang passing play, it was a beautiful goal, not sure any goalie would of had a chance. the final bang was on the back door and i had no chance.
Second goal- we were short handed, i dropped and saved a clapper from the point, directed the rebound towards the corner....where someone was on the backdoor, and he had the easy tap in...again, no D there on the guy
Third goal- my BIGGEST pet peeve, our winger flung a no look pass across the middle from deep in our zone...right to the stick of their center, he promptly fired a wrister from the top of the slot (which i didn't see at all), it went wide right but the rebound came out on my glove side...i didn't even see the shot released due to traffic, by the time i saw the puck, it was out of the corner of my eye on my glove side and a guy was shooting it in the net, i didn't even move. :(
Fourth goal- garbage rebound after making first initial save
Fifth goal- see above.

All in all I had a blast, it was much more fun to play in a tight game that was back and forth. I saw a TON of action and came up big many times, my team and the other team would give me props after making a big save. This coming Saturday is our consolation game against the team we blew out last week, it means nothing. It should be fun though, as I have a few new acquaintances on the team.

• Like 2

Hah yeah, that was a bit nuts. They're usually WAY more responsible than that. My D is one of the biggest reasons we win games. Very responsible and clear pucks well. 

What a crap pickup. I wasn't busy at all, the entire thing was completely one-sided. However, it seemed like every shot they actually took went in. I swear I only made like 5 stops in an hour and a half. Oh well, there's always next week. 

4 minutes ago, tedpenguins said:

I've got my first ever game in net tonight. I'm a bit nervous but I'm sure once the game starts I'll cool down a bit. Any quick tips?

Awesome! My advice is to just focus and let the shots come to you. You'll do fine :) Let us know how it goes!

Thanks! I sure will, at this point we aren't expecting to come out on top.  We're missing 2 full lines and the other team is known to have a ringer that somehow has stayed in the same division for 5 years. Hopefully we'll be able to add a few players to the roster before game time but if not we've got a pretty comfortable lead in the standings to take a loss. For a first game, I'm just aiming to have a GAA under 10 :biggrin:

• Like 1

Hey Opti, how are you liking the lundy loop?

Also, i FINALLY got a suction cup mount today, I am going to use it at my game on Sunday night. how high up the glass do you usually put it? Also, what mode works best that won't have too much of a fish-eye effect?

1 hour ago, beedee said:

Hey Opti, how are you liking the lundy loop?

Also, i FINALLY got a suction cup mount today, I am going to use it at my game on Sunday night. how high up the glass do you usually put it? Also, what mode works best that won't have too much of a fish-eye effect?

I don't find the Lundy loop does anything for me one way or the other, really. I wore my boot strap as loose as it went before, so really I just use the Lundy loop because it's there. I do have my boot strap quite tight through it though because I like the pad to be tight on my leg. Have all elastic straps allows me to do that without losing any movement in my pads.

As for the GoPro, just put it literally as high as you can reach. Make sure to set it so both LEDs are off. I set mine to the default wide angle. You don't really get fish-eye unless you're trying to do POV shots with it. 

First career start resulted in a first career win!  The score ended up being 3-2. I had a few good saves; the first goal was a breakdown of my defense. I made the initial save with the shaft of my stick but the puck ended up behind the net with my defense in front of me. The other team retrieved it and came around front for the shot point blank while my defense just watched. Second goal was just a great shot that went bar down. Being in goal was a whole lot more stressful then I thought it was going to be but I had a blast! I really noticed that I was having trouble sliding from post to post while I was down in the butterfly so that'll be my first thing to work on.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, tedpenguins said:

First career start resulted in a first career win!  The score ended up being 3-2. I had a few good saves; the first goal was a breakdown of my defense. I made the initial save with the shaft of my stick but the puck ended up behind the net with my defense in front of me. The other team retrieved it and came around front for the shot point blank while my defense just watched. Second goal was just a great shot that went bar down. Being in goal was a whole lot more stressful then I thought it was going to be but I had a blast! I really noticed that I was having trouble sliding from post to post while I was down in the butterfly so that'll be my first thing to work on.

Awesome! Congrats! My first game was a win also. That always helps :)

Had you done any pickups or anything in goal or was this really the first time?

Thank you! This was the first time. I've taken a few shots out on the pond in the dark but that's about the extent of it. I've been a catcher in travel softball since I was about 10 so I'm thinking that was a huge help to how I played last night. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tedpenguins said:

Great job!  Welcome to the cult I mean uh ... :) 

• Like 1

The past couple of weeks I've been sick, but I can't really quantify it as a "cold" - sore throat and cough, but also basically just fatigued as all hell.  It's been getting me down, and I hadn't been able to work out for the past week, or go to stick time.  I did work out yesterday, which went ... acceptably.  And I played this morning, which also went ... acceptably.  I let in far too many shots, but several people noted that I was basically hung out to dry defense-wise - and this is true, but I always feel like ultimately, the goal is my fault.  Except the one that deflected off Sasha's stick and also the one or two that deflected off people's legs.  I don't think I played well, per se, mostly because I was just dead with exhaustion about thirty minutes into an hour-and-fifteen skate.  But I sort of numbed out by the latter half and made some good saves.  Best and weirdest save was - puck had passed to the slot,  I was in the process of moving from glove to blocker to stop it, and the guy fired it from just above the hashmarks - in absolute desperation my stick went up, the puck smacked the paddle and I swung the little sucker into the corner to my teammate, who then cleared it.  The players loved it.  It was stupid, but effective.  I was basically functional in fits and starts, because eventually the onslaught would wear me down and I'd make a mistake.  I'm hoping I feel better soon.

5 hours ago, tedpenguins said:

Thank you! This was the first time. I've taken a few shots out on the pond in the dark but that's about the extent of it. I've been a catcher in travel softball since I was about 10 so I'm thinking that was a huge help to how I played last night. 

I was a catcher too, actually. I wonder if it's a coincidence or if that's common among goalies. Something about wearing more gear than the rest of the team, and enjoying fast moving objects flying toward them!

9 minutes ago, OptimusReim said:

I was a catcher too, actually. I wonder if it's a coincidence or if that's common among goalies. Something about wearing more gear than the rest of the team, and enjoying fast moving objects flying toward them!

Well, the gear is really cool.  I'm a little disappointed that slow-pitch doesn't require it! 

Also, you get to watch the game as much as participate in it.  (both softball/baseball and hockey.) 

• Like 1

I was a big pest left winger in my day. I got off on drawing penalties, getting under the skin of goalers and defensemen alike. I had no other skills!  I did not play any other position in any other sport except for full back in foot ball (soccer to those in North America), and I was a yellow and red card leader. I don't know why I always wanted to play goaler, but I always did. 

I don't let stupid goals drive me nuts. Some blokes will apologise for their poor defense, but I always tell them that I am having a cracking time out there DESPITE the fact that I am playing both defense AND goal. Bloody hell-it is bloody well PICK UP, I say. I will yell "pylon" for those blokes who just stand in front me. If you're going to be an immobile object, at least LET ME SEE THE BLOODY FACKIN' PUCK!!!!!

• Like 1

Got my first ever D5 shutout last night! Final was 8-0, though that score is misleading. Their goalie was hurt and couldn't go down. He actually made some really impressive old school stand-up staves! 

I wasn't super busy (they didn't get their first shot on goal until late in the 1st period), but things got scrambly for me as the game went on. Barely any positionally sound saves. However managed to keep the puck out for the entire game, and that's all that matters!

On 3/5/2016 at 6:18 PM, bunnyman666 said:

I was a big pest left winger in my day. I got off on drawing penalties, getting under the skin of goalers and defensemen alike. I had no other skills!  I did not play any other position in any other sport except for full back in foot ball (soccer to those in North America), and I was a yellow and red card leader. I don't know why I always wanted to play goaler, but I always did. 

I don't let stupid goals drive me nuts. Some blokes will apologise for their poor defense, but I always tell them that I am having a cracking time out there DESPITE the fact that I am playing both defense AND goal. Bloody hell-it is bloody well PICK UP, I say. I will yell "pylon" for those blokes who just stand in front me. If you're going to be an immobile object, at least LET ME SEE THE BLOODY FACKIN' PUCK!!!!!

I didn't play hockey, or football/soccer, though I did catch and play first base in baseball.  Mostly, I was a swimmer, so maybe there's a certain independence factor.  (Masters/Senior swimming is just way too intense for me, even if I worked up my speed to something respectable.  How on earth can people be so gear focused when they wear goggles and a scrap of lycra?)

I'm doing better about not being hard on myself - I like to feel like I'm competitive, but at the same time, I don't want to wander into a thicket of despair over playing hockey.  I like hockey.  I like my teammates.  If some butthead hurt any of my teammates, I would set the butthead's house on fire.  (well, maybe just his gear.)  I want more people to like hockey (that's why I like coaching.  I will, ultimately, end up with more teammates that way).  And it's funny, because I certainly don't get mad at my teammates for their slip-ups.

This league that I used to play for as a skater, and with which I've done a number of goalie clinics, is having tryouts for a C/D level tournament team - just for tournaments, no commitment to play the WHOLE schedule.  They're mostly a good bunch of people - it's small, the guy who owns the league is personable and sensible, and I've been skating for them off and on since they started.  I figure it's worth a shot, if just for a laugh.

• Like 1

So a terrible situation here.

The one ice rink big enough to play hockey in my state is now out of action.  The refrigeration pipes under the slab have been leaking for some time.  They closed the rink for a week to repair the leaks, and after two weeks of closure, they've now announced that the leaks were way worse than thought, and they have failed every pressure test, and the Dept of Environment have ruled they are not allowed to refill the refrigerant.  The only way they can reopen is to replace the entire refrigeration system.

Ice sports in Australia are not a big money thing, so we're hoping the government can help out to save the sport here.  If they can get government funding to help replace the refrigeration unit, we are without a rink for a minimum of two months.  There are plans for a new rink to be built, but that's not expected to be complete until the end of 2017.  These plans may make the government seriously consider whether funding to an old broken rink is feasible.

Who knows when we'll be able to play again :(

Edited by magnets
  • Like 1