Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

LOL and I thought *I* had anger issues ;)

Your stories of his antics are making me hope you punch him the the throat with your blocker. Yes, I would probably do that against him, as well ;)

Edited by bunnyman666

Clinic report:

Due to unforeseen scheduling and weather issues, I haven't played since last Wednesday. Surprisingly rusty after just a week off. Sleep deprivation didn't do me any favors either. Really struggling with high blocker and low glove-side stick saves. Even better, the drills tonight were all odd man rushes and breakaways. Since breakaways mess with both my psyche and my mechanics, I played the shooter tutor game for most of the night, then turned it on when it (kind of) mattered during a shootout competition at the end, stuffing 9/10.

Ended the night with a nice stinger in the chest from the one other guy I actually talk to at this clinic. I really need a new chest protector.

On a positive note, my butterfly slides were actually pretty good for once. Apparently a week of visualization actually helped.

• Like 1

Stick and puck report:

Facing better shooters has been paying off for me. I am starting to figure out how to cut off parts of plays. I am trying to play more aggressively. Though I was one of five people at the rink both Monday and Wednesday, we would play three on two or three on three. I feel that this change of scenery may help my drop-in hockey at my home rink, as the chance of playing against good players is better. Monday, I faced the hardest shot I had EVER faced, as this guy dented my wooden goalie stick. He also gave me a few stingers.

Speaking of stingers- I am going to make a "love handle" guard. I got stung pretty hard on a love handle yesterday! No bruises, oddly enough; but I need some protection in that area. Ouch!!!!

Next Monday is back at the "other" rink; then Thursday at the "home" rink.

• Like 1

I have no visible bruising today but there is some swelling and I'm definitely feeling it in the muscle. He got me right on the outside of the pec, almost in the armpit, and I don't carry much "natural padding."

Got called in for an extra shift at work, which I'm taking as a sign that I should use the money to buy a Passau. Finally shot an email that way. Luckily, the boss thinks the gear for my hobbies all looks the same; maybe I can squeak this under the radar. And then I really, really need to be done buying goalie gear. Still cheaper than insurance deductibles, I guess.

• Like 1

I have no visible bruising today but there is some swelling and I'm definitely feeling it in the muscle. He got me right on the outside of the pec, almost in the armpit, and I don't carry much "natural padding."

Got called in for an extra shift at work, which I'm taking as a sign that I should use the money to buy a Passau. Finally shot an email that way. Luckily, the boss thinks the gear for my hobbies all looks the same; maybe I can squeak this under the radar. And then I really, really need to be done buying goalie gear. Still cheaper than insurance deductibles, I guess.

lol about "natural padding"; I have plenty and it STILL hurts like a mofo when I got hit in the love handle on Wednesday!

I am going to see a Passau in the flesh in a couple of weeks and make a decision on my future purchase soon. I was going to put my ducats towards a new set of leg pads, but a CA is DEFINITELY on the MUST BUY list!

What's the exchange rate on 16th century European currency these days? Better than the USD / CAD? lol

The coins themselves are worth MUCH more than the actual value.

Drop-in report:

Played my semi-regular Sunday morning game today. Three goalies were there so we played 20 minutes on, 10 off, which was a pretty nice balance. Teams were stacked heavily to one side. Strangely enough, I played much better against them. I think I'm one of those goalies who does better when I'm seeing a lot of shots. Played very well until my last 10 minute shift when I let in two goals in 30 seconds. The crease was really gouged up again, causing me to trip on a t-push and fall over, and then get stuck on a backside push. Should have had two easy saves.

I'm really working on integrating reverse-VH properly, as per this article http://ingoalmag.com/technique/reverse-vh-common-issues-proper-execution/, and it payed dividends today.

High blocker is still my biggest weakness and my puck handling is still really sketchy. Regardless, everyone had nothing but good things to say and they keep asking me to become the regular goalie, so I'll take that as a good sign. I've also finally figured out my pad strapping (I think). Considering playing again tomorrow because I'm feeling fresher than usual after today.

• Like 2

Just the usual Tuesday scrimmage with a bunch of friends.

Stared out on the boring side so i switched it over after a while

Nice!

Can I make a suggestion? Edit your video to shorter clips. Too much time between plays for the viewer (me) to keep interest ;)

I was dying at 1:54... It didn't appear to be a line change or anything but nobody was moving, at all! I was yelling at my screen "whats going on!!!" haha

Made some great saves man. Movement is looking pretty good too. Keep at it!

Nice!

Can I make a suggestion? Edit your video to shorter clips. Too much time between plays for the viewer (me) to keep interest ;)

I was dying at 1:54... It didn't appear to be a line change or anything but nobody was moving, at all! I was yelling at my screen "whats going on!!!" haha

Made some great saves man. Movement is looking pretty good too. Keep at it!

The reason i left the video with blank moments is to show that the camera side was boring as crap.

Original video was 3 hours. this is the "highlights"

I really want a GoPro. What's the cheapest setup I can get away with for making this kind of video? There are so many options. I'm very familiar with still cameras (used to be a professional wedding and sports photographer) but have no idea what features I actually NEED in an "action cam."

you know what? i originally started with a cisco hand held IFlip camera. That thing was awesome. Great memory, long lasting battery, i still use it for certain things and it survived being put on the crossbar of my net and on the glass so even though it doesn't have a case, its tough as nails, i once shot the entire lens clean off the camera and popped it back in, no issues at all.

Search for it on ebay and buy a suction cup mount and put it on the glass.

you know what? i originally started with a cisco hand held IFlip camera. That thing was awesome. Great memory, long lasting battery, i still use it for certain things and it survived being put on the crossbar of my net and on the glass so even though it doesn't have a case, its tough as nails, i once shot the entire lens clean off the camera and popped it back in, no issues at all.

Search for it on ebay and buy a suction cup mount and put it on the glass.

Hah! Oh, the Flip. I gave Cisco so much shit for acquiring that thing.

I really want a GoPro. What's the cheapest setup I can get away with for making this kind of video? There are so many options. I'm very familiar with still cameras (used to be a professional wedding and sports photographer) but have no idea what features I actually NEED in an "action cam."

I'd recommend the GoPro Hero+ ($199). It's the lowest model that will do 1080p @ 60fps. If you're ONLY using it for hockey you don't need the LCD screen (since you won't be able to see it anyway). The model lower (the Hero) is $129, but only 720p @ 60fps. Believe me, it's definitely worth the upgrade to 1080p. I didn't think it would matter but the difference is really obvious. I ended up upgrading after about 6 months.

Of course if you plan to use it for stuff other than hockey then you may want one of the higher end models, but for me personally I only use it for the behind the net footage so the Hero+ is perfect for me. Oh, the Hero/Hero+ also doesn't have a removable battery (or camera for that matter, it's integrated into the case). Again, stuff that is fine with me but may bother other people.

You'll want to get the suction mount to stick it to the glass. Preferably on the INSIDE of the glass (so you can move it between periods) but some leagues/refs won't allow it so you'll have to mount it on the outside. It's usually not terrible though slightly blurry, and of course you only get two periods that way.

On the mask is an okay view just for fun, but generally not very useful if you're trying to use your videos to learn and improve your play. In the net can be done too, but again not especially useful for trying to improve and more of a novelty thing.

By the way, GoPro is discontinuing the Hero and Hero+ soon because GoPro as a company is floundering, so you may want to either jump on buying one before they're gone, or wait until they go on clearance which I'm sure they will.

If you go with a Hero+ you're looking at 200 for the camera, I think $30 for the suction mount, and another $30 or so for a micro SD card.

Edited by OptimusReim

Thursday Drop-in Report:

3-on-3 one sub, two goalies action today. It felt like I was not on the ice for awhile; it was only a week and a day. Anywho- the title of this post should be "angles, angles, angles".

I need to get a GoPro like Opti has. That is the number one thing I need to do. Number two is to use those angles to close holes. Number three is to set myself up as a bumper stopping pucks from going IN the goal.

I had a ten minute shut out, then Donny McDangles showed up. I did shut him down more today than ever. But I got lit up like a bloody Menorah on the eight night of Chanukah. I got shots pinballed from poor coverage on the posts. I let in some weird goals, but there were the gimmees they thought they would/should get. In all, I do believe I am improving. Cutting off plays is getting better.

Next time is next week.

• Like 1

Playoff hockey has begun for us. Finished the regular season in second by a point.

First game last night - semi final best of three. The game was definitely NOT won on goaltending, with a massive scoreline of 8-4 our way. The four that got past me were all cross crease movement with a shove through the five hole, so I clearly have to work on my stick placement while shuffling.

Only a total of 17 shots on goal, including one penalty shot (that I stopped dead as they tried again to put it five hole once again), and about 14 1-0 breakaways. My team were aggressive as hell in the attacking zone, but regularly got beaten on the backcheck.

Game two (and hopefully the decider) is tomorrow afternoon. Hoping not to have to come back Sunday.

• Like 1

I had a ten minute shut out, then Donny McDangles showed up. I did shut him down more today than ever. But I got lit up like a bloody Menorah on the eight night of Chanukah.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: not laughing at YOU, just the name,(Donny McDangles) and imagery. mazel tov!

Edited by GreatestAmericanBeardo
  • Like 1

:laugh::laugh::laugh: not laughing at YOU, just the name,(Donny McDangles) and imagery. mazel tov!

Oy Vay!!!!

I call him that to his face, as in "wassup, Mc Dangles?" He's good natured about me calling him "McDangles".

Shalom L'chaim!

Subbed in for an actual league game last night - and lost. I felt bad, because the team was obviously trying really hard - the goalie at the other end was stopping everything. It was 7-2, but I discount one because I had it, but the other team jabbed me in the hip to dislodge it. Everything else was pretty much an honest goal or minimal defence. But like I said - I don't want to put any blame on my own team because they were playing pretty well (D-level/novice league), they just couldn't get it past the other goalie. (not for lack of trying). I had hoped to make their record 1-3-0, but it stands at 0-4-0. So there we are.

The company that operates most of the state-owned rinks is trying to put together another tournament, in April. I think I'll sign up, and see if anything comes of it. Last time they tried was a 1-day Black Friday tournament, but they didn't get enough players to host it. My luck with tournaments (as a skater) has been horrendous, but I'd like to try.

Video from Tuesday's pickup. I'm generally pretty happy, except for the shot I absolutely should have gloved at 1:08. I couldn't believe the puck wasn't in my glove. It wasn't even a hard shot! Also a bit unhappy about not being able to smother the puck at 3:28. Otherwise, a decent enough night considering I DIDN'T skip leg day on Monday and could barely walk on Tuesday.

We had a new player at the Russian Embassy today. Big, strong, good puckhandling and a nightmare of a shot. He only took a few shots on me. One went slightly wide and got stuck in the mesh. Literally, it stuck halfway through. Couldn't poke it out. My defenceman had to come over and yank it out. Then he took one that clanked off the crossbar and ricocheted back into the neutral zone. I thought: hm, you know, maybe it's for the best that I'm not physically blocking these. I mean - now I know what he can do, and I can prep for it (mentally, anyway), but in the immediate sense... the idea of one of those shots hitting my mask, or throat protector, or some less-protected corner of my body...

We tied, though, 7-7, which was nice. The other goalie was stopping basically everything. But there were 7 skaters a side, 4v4, and it was a nice, up-tempo game with a lot of shots and no time for pause. I think I like small ice/4v4 better than full ice/5v5. Part of it, though, may be that my depth perception is wonky without glasses (extremely nearsighted in one eye, mildly nearsighted in the other). If anyone can recommend a good discount eyeglasses website with sport goggles for sale... (medicaid pays for one pair of glasses every two years, and you can select from one of 14 different frames, none of which are goggles.)