Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

I only say blocker before pads because I have had a rough time getting a blocker I like. I would say skates before leg pads OR blocker, myself.

Me too. This position sucks badly when your feet hurt.

Well... just signed up for pickup next Tuesday. I'm terrified :)

Also just registered for USA Hockey so I can take warm-ups with my team on Sunday. I figure I'll get out there, do some laps, stretch out, maybe a couple shots, and then hand the net over to the other goalie and just sit on the bench for the game. If that doesn't go well, I'll just cancel for Tuesday, no big deal.

• Like 3

Sunday Drop-in:

Four goalies showed up. Fack me!!!!

I let in some clunkers. My poke check could have led to a couple of penalties, as I got three people flying with my poke check. My intention was to not trip, but the basketball-style layups got old really, really fast. One poke check was outside of the crease. One tried skating through and he ended up pushing me into the net from my stick hitting his Tuuk when he tried sliding the puck around. The other one was negligible. Again- I just wanted to get the puck away from the shooter. I think I may have gotten four minutes at worst. I did apologise, as I am not trying to be Billy or Ron (even though my sweater number is 27).

The worst part was that no Zamboni driver was available to clean from the skate before. I tripped in a rut and ended up giving up a goal. But I was also challenging a shooter WAAAAAAAAY out of my crease.

It sucks only playing once per week these days, but I am at least not wasting my time in a skill-free stick and puck with fifteen people shooting at once.

Well, here it is. My return to the crease. Just a pickup, though.

Went surprisingly well. My legs and ankles aren't anywhere near strong enough still so it was pretty painful to get up. But otherwise, not too bad.

Funny thing is, a guy asked why I bought NYR pants. "Because they match?" caused him to give me a funny look. He must not know very many goalies ;) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hills said:

No Passau glove there?

I debated it, but decided in the situation I wanted to make sure I was comfortable and not fighting unfamiliar gear. I'll be wearing it next Tuesday for sure. 

It is with great joy that I report that hockey with the Russians resumed today.  \o/ 

And, in fact, that I played (I think) quite well, except that I left my water in the locker room (derrrr) and was flagging hard by 10:15 (at an 8:50am start).  I stopped a lot of shots and did a much better job covering the puck than I usually do - I felt like I really knew where it was and where it was going.  I even stopped ones that I usually miss (things like "not squeezing myself tightly enough against the post" goals).  A couple bounced off my stick and in (one off the paddle, which is dumb, and one off the shaft, which is frustrating and dumb).  Moving well considering I only just got back to the gym yesterday after more than two weeks of not going and also I sort of ... might have partially dislocated my kneecap yesterday?  I don't know, the patella went where it wasn't supposed to, but popped right back, and it was uncomfortable and it's a bit sore but nothing seems to be actively wrong with it.  Sent an email out to the orthopedist about it. 

At any rate, I was definitely frustrating the other team, which pleases me.  No existential crisis today.  There was this:

Me: *letting in a goal* "Dammit."

New Player: "Aw, you can't blame yourself for the ones from in front, we're supposed to help you out."

Me: "I can too blame myself."

Older Sasha: "No!  Don't do that."

Me: "Just watch me!"

But all in fun.

• Like 1

Played my first league game last night after fucktard broke my ankle four+ months ago. 

I was doing well at first. Still hard to get up but it is what it is. I ended up letting in a super soft goal. Distance shot, one of the ones where you're 95% sure it's going to be blocked and don't want to go down in case it DOES get blocked and you're down and out. Especially with how hard it is to get up. 

Second goal was a rebound that went to a wide open guy in front of the net. I doubt I would have gotten to it even at 100%. 

Third goal was the most painful one. Damn thing just bounced around the crease for a good 20 seconds it felt like, and I just couldn't get a handle on it. Somehow it ended up going in while I was standing? I have absolutely no idea, but I'll have to watch the video to figure out what happened. 

Last goal (winning goal) was a really good tip that went 5-hole. Hopefully we'll see much less of those once I have my new pads!

I made some pretty good saves. Mostly the glove (which is one reason I'm so terrified to use my new glove....) and one toe save to my left in the first period. Probably won't look as nearly as amazing in the video as it felt at the time, though. They never seem to, really.

• Like 3

At 38, I am putting on the goalie gear for the first time in my life tomorrow.

Hour long beginner clinic, followed by an hour long scrimmage.

I've played hockey my whole life.  I played defense all throughout school, and transitioned into playing forward once I hit beer league.  Now I skate out one night on defense, and one night as a forward in my leagues.

Looking forward to learning something knew.  All my gear was purchased second hand on GGSU (except mask/dangler.,goalie jock, and sticks, which were purchased new). 

Looking forward to the clinic, and even more so the scrimmage.  Gonna be rough, but hopefully a lot of fun.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, OzziesDad said:

I've played hockey my whole life.  I played defense all throughout school, and transitioned into playing forward once I hit beer league.  Now I skate out one night on defense, and one night as a forward in my leagues.

Looking forward to learning something knew.  All my gear was purchased second hand on GGSU (except mask/dangler.,goalie jock, and sticks, which were purchased new). 

Looking forward to the clinic, and even more so the scrimmage.  Gonna be rough, but hopefully a lot of fun.

Awesome!! Good luck, and welcome to the club :)

What gear did you get?! 

• Like 1

Here's the video from last night. The two bad goals are pretty embarrassing, but I'm also playing at only about 80%. So I can accept it knowing it will get better. 

Lesson #666- Make Certain You Have a GREAT Dangler:

I have learnt a LOT whilst being a goalie- get out in front of the crease, try to get in line with the shot, keep your stick on the ice, etc., etc.

Well, I learnt something the HARD way:

Get a GREAT dangler, and highly padded neck protection. I took a wrister from an ex-Junior player. I thought he hit my throat, but it was the deflection. My clavicle ended up taking most of the brunt. But it was scary, and I started playing again WAAAAAAAAAAAY too soon. The tip of my clavicle was raspberried (which must be bad as my swarthy skin tone usually hides bruises). I got a headache like crazy for the first twenty minutes AFTER getting hit there; of course I also was dinged in the cage not ten minutes BEFORE this shot.

I used a repro Itech duck bill. That is NOT a good choice. I am using a repro of a Cooper TP dangler from now on. My neck guard will have a gel-like foam, as well.

Learn from Uncle Bunnyman this: broken wind pipes are a scary, scary deal. Proceed with caution, as that freak accident can occur ANY time it feels like happening.

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Awesome!! Good luck, and welcome to the club :)

What gear did you get?! 

Thank you! 

I did my research, but obviously not as faniliar with goalie gear as I am with skater equipment.

Legs- Vaughn V5 7990. Pads were in great shape, measurements seem spot on, and the guy gave me a great deal.

Catcher/blocker- matching Vaughn V5 7470. Basically new.

Skates- Reebok 12k. Very low end. However, they were brand new and 60.00. I've worn Reebok K series skates in the past, and the fit felt similar. Probably the first thing I'll upgrade.

Mask- Bauer NME8. Fairly standard beer league protection.

Sticks- True a4.5s. Ivery been using their sticks exclusively for over a year and a half now. Kept it going with my goalie sticks.

Pants- Reebok pro returns of some sort. I know they are from the Florida Panthers. Felt beefier than the regular CCM'S and Bauers I tried on. 

Goalie jock- Vaughn

Neck guard- CCM

Dangler- Pure Goalie in house model.

C/A- CCM Premier.

I think that's everything??

Off to play a game now (as a d-man). Less than 24 hours I'll be using all this stuff for the first time!

5 hours ago, OzziesDad said:

Only six years younger than I when I first strapped on the pads. It is a rewarding AND frustrating position. But I have a funny feeling that you will become ADDICTED.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

• Like 1

Drop In Hockey Report:

Great group of fellows I play with. They keep me razor sharp. High level, tough players. 

Another lesson from Uncle bunnyman: Do not, DO NOT play in new skates!!! I of course broke this rule today thinking that two bakes and sitting in front of the tele with these one was going to be sufficient to break them in; I was DEAD wrong.

But I played well. I stopped the best player a few times tonight. Hot damn! My ankle was killing me!!!! But playing in new skates is NOTHING compared to THIS STORY:

Here is a real distraction: a bloke had SUPER old equipment. Red Cooper pads with NO knee flaps, an old Vaughn blocker, an even older Ferland glove, minimalistic chest/arm armour, and a STREET HOCKEY MASQUE!!!! He took a few shots to the arm pit and was clearly wincing. I winced every time I saw a puck going ANYWHERE near his head!!!!! He is either BRAVE or STUPID with a HUGE pair!!!!

I was AFRAID for him. He definitely knew how to play the old style with this crazy gear, but head shots could have killed him!!!! He definitely knew the position. But I could not wrap me head around what he wore on HIS head!!!

• Like 1

First game in my new Passau pads!

I actually like playing these guys because it's generally a clean, highly skilled game. Unfortunately, we only had 6 skaters, one of which got sent off early for a head check (I didn't see what happened). We had one of our D show up late in the 1st which helped, but still... not enough. I was also playing this game with the flu, and couldn't hear out of my right ear from that. Also felt very very sick the whole time and was seriously worried about throwing up.

Combine all that with my recovery from a broken ankle (which actually felt fine this game, thanks to my new pads that support the leg and ankle better!) and it was a bit of a shit show. We hung in there until the 3rd, when they started piling it on. Good saves followed by bad goals. We just simply ran out of gas. I know I sure did. 

Hopefully next week we have a better result!

With Summer season starting on this side of the world, its back to c grade for me. Went out to the new player tryout session to help out and try to return some of the kindness I had when I started in net, and coached three guys new in the pipes. 

It was a rewarding night, and was great to be on the other side. 

Will a pending bank holiday and slightly cooler weather net a better turnout at my late Sunday afternoon skate? I hope so. But I really, really like this group. It's mostly ex-Junior, ex-college and maybe a few ex-pros. I have improved IMMENSELY with these guys. Noobies are actually treated well here. I just hope the ones staying away and eventually coming out to this skate will be the same quality of players both with skill AND character.  

With my insane work schedule, I have not gotten to skate in my new skates. Hopefully, four goalies show up so that these skates won't hurt too badly and I can sit for ten minutes. New, new skates plain SUCK!!!!

• Like 1

Yesterday was a SHIT SHOW. I played the WORST I have played in a long time. Horrible defense. The dark team felt sorry for me and asked if I wanted to switch ends and I took them up on it. But the damage was done- I played like shit the entire session. I registered my first hit as a goalie on a break away, but I ended up on the worse side of it, as I was trying for a poke check and his head was down. We collided, AND he scored, anyway. Frustrating, frustrating day, and I let it get inside my head.

Of course it was just two goalies AND I was skating in new skates. I was in hell.

• Like 1

Not a great pickup, but better than last week. I threw away the footage from a couple weeks ago and didn't play last week. Normally no matter how bad of a night I have, I still edit the video to learn from. But last time was 95% the injured ankle so there was no real point.

Anyway, an okay night. Ankle was mostly okay, but legs are still very weak which equals quick fatigue.

First time playing against an ex-pro. You can see what he managed to do a couple times. The shot from center actually went UP! But he kept trying to go bar-down, which is kind of annoying in pickup, and I let him know it. 

Ugh, is there anything worse as a goalie than to play out of your mind only to still get destroyed?  We lost 7-4 after I got us out of the first period 3-1, and had it 4-1 5 minutes into the second.  But my team stopped skating and couldn't get the puck out of our zone, or control it in their zone.  The score could have easily been double that if I didn;t play so well.  Now I know how Henrik Lundqvist feels.

5 hours ago, psulion22 said:

Ugh, is there anything worse as a goalie than to play out of your mind only to still get destroyed?  We lost 7-4 after I got us out of the first period 3-1, and had it 4-1 5 minutes into the second.  But my team stopped skating and couldn't get the puck out of our zone, or control it in their zone.  The score could have easily been double that if I didn;t play so well.  Now I know how Henrik Lundqvist feels.

I guess I'm lucky that that has never been an issue. I've always been the crappy one on the ice ;)

16 hours ago, psulion22 said:

I feel your pain man. If I can't keep the opposing team from scoring only 2 goals we have no chance of winning. I guess it's kind of fitting that our team name is the Rangers.

13 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I guess I'm lucky that that has never been an issue. I've always been the crappy one on the ice ;)

Yeah, I've seen your videos.  LOL!!