Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
IPv6Freely

Starting in Goal as an Adult

2 hours ago, tedpenguins said:

I feel your pain man. If I can't keep the opposing team from scoring only 2 goals we have no chance of winning. I guess it's kind of fitting that our team name is the Rangers.

My team isn't bad.  We won the championship last season (with a MVP performance by me).  But they have a problem with the forwards.  Too many turnovers, too much getting trapped down low, too much leaving the zone before the puck, and not enough backchecking.  When they can control the puck and get pucks to the net, they are good.  But if they have problems doing that, the forwards have no defensive awareness at all.  It wasn't like this game was all breakaways and odd man rushes.  I can handle those.  This was all clean, open looks with a lot of time.  A lot of shots from in the "guts" of the ice,  And a lot of puck movement when the puck didn't get out of the zone.  Those kinds of things are a lot harder to deal with.  I had to make a lot of saves on close shots that make it hard to control rebounds, then make the save on the rebound.  And a lot going from side to side or back against the grain.

• Like 1

My SK2000 clone has a crack in the corner of the sideburn and forehead. I had discovered this yesterday. I do not call it a flaw in the design or build but a sign that the helmet has done it's job. 

I have taken a LOT of head shots in this helmet. Fun sized goalies who play butterfly should expect to take a few head shots because of their lack of height. I am fun sized. I should probably play stand up like most fun sized goalies, but I have become a competent butterfly goalie.

Guess I am in that silly Mage until one of my helmets comes back. My favourite SK2000 clone was to get a wax mould so that I could get a Kevlar version of it made. My current one was a bit small, but I learnt to really like it as I padded it to fit my head. It is more form-fitting (think small CCM HT2 with "pro" padding) than the spare that I am having cast in wax.

Stay tuned...

Due to a surprise (but very welcome!) cancellation my surgery is now scheduled for NEXT WEDNESDAY instead of November 1st.  It's nothing life threatening, and I will feel significantly better afterward, but I am forbidden from almost Every Fun Thing I enjoy for six weeks while I heal, making this morning the last time I'll get to play until probably December.

Luckily, play with the Russian embassy is always fun.  (excepting my occasional existential crises).  I got on the ice at 8:30, the formal play started at nine and lasted still 10:30.  I had a devil of a time waking up during the first 30 minutes, not sure why, just tired and distracted.  Hard to get my focus up.  I let in some superbly dumb goals, but made a lot of good saves too.  I wasn't sure I was moving as well as I like, but once I warmed up - literally, it was around freezing last night, and about 40F when I got to the rink - I was doing better.  Unfortunately for the skaters, we had the big rink but also ... approximately 9 or 10 people.  They played 4 on 4, but they were obviously exhausted by the end (and frankly by 10:30 so was I.)  And once people get exhausted you see a lot of breakaways and people missing passes and it just gets kind of wearing.

Not so good: I am having trouble driving off the left foot because that knee hurts more.  It's not excruciating, but one of the kids stepped on me yesterday and it's more cranky than usual.  I can drive and slide off the right just fine, but things get wonky with the left, and I'm not sure how to fix it, because the issue is pain as opposed to knowing how to implement it.  A sleeve or brace of some kind might help.  I'll do some thinking during my recovery.

Better things: I am getting much better at tracking the puck.  In my free time - and talking with kids at work - I play with golf balls or rubber balls and toss them hand to hand, etc.  It's calming and if it doesn't do much for hand-eye, it does help at concentrating.

Not so good: Still not so good at covering the puck.  On the one hand, because I track it better, I stop rebounds better.  On the other, still having trouble actually pinning the little sucker down and stopping play, so there's like 3 or 4 rebounds and I finally miss one.

Better things: Since the tournament, I am better at playing more aggressively.  I still do tend to retreat into the crease but I am much better about coming out to the top of the crease and it seems to help. 

No video of last nights game. Three reasons: First, I decided there's no point in making a video of a game or pickup when I'm just focused on making it through, rather than trying to improve. Eventually I'll hit that point again. The second reason is because I hadn't charged my GoPro since Tuesday, so it probably would have crapped out half way through anyway. And finally because @psulion22 doesn't seem to like my videos ;)

Anyway, it was a good game. We dominated pretty much the entire thing as far as possession, but they had a D3/D4 goalie who was VERY good and almost unbeatable. Combine that with the breakdowns in our own end that more than once left their guy wide open with a ton of time to get a shot away, and it wasn't pretty. The final score was 6-2, though they scored two in the last 2 minutes. One on a breakaway, the other with less than 2 seconds left. Our D was skating with the puck in front of the net and their guy just skated in and chopped at his stick and the damn thing went top shelf. I should have been more ready but it was kind of a fluke play that it just went straight up like that.

I was just about to head to the bench down 4-2 when they got that breakaway. Talk about deflating, especially with how much time we'd spent buzzing their net for the last 10 minutes.

So, the game was way WAY closer than the score showed. However, I was in a great mood when the game ended. Because... well... I had no pain in my foot or ankle. Absolutely none. It was actually kind of a weird feeling. So, that's pretty awesome! Now I can't wait to get back out there next weekend! I'm skipping pickup this week though. I don't want to push it and the week I tried to both play in a game and in pickup it didn't go well. I'll wait a while before playing twice in a week. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

No video of last nights game. Three reasons: First, I decided there's no point in making a video of a game or pickup when I'm just focused on making it through, rather than trying to improve. Eventually I'll hit that point again. The second reason is because I hadn't charged my GoPro since Tuesday, so it probably would have crapped out half way through anyway. And finally because @psulion22 doesn't seem to like my videos ;)

I do like your videos.  I need a laugh sometimes. LOL!!! :P

Good news that you aren't in pain anymore and the ankle is doing well.

• Like 1

Sunday Drop In Report:

Redemption.

Yes. After a less than lacklustre session last week, I had a much better time. Yes, there were a few stupid goals. If I don't get a good warm up, I let in one stinker and it's usually on my first shot against (especially if it's three goalies switching). I would stupidly try playing the puck against excellent puck handlers, though they would whiff the shot. I goaded a few into taking bad shots by looking straight at them and whacking my stick onto the ice. I got one to shoot right onto my blocker and the puck deflected right onto his visor! Yes- I swear I did NOT intend for that to happen.

One reckless player hit my head whilst I was in the butterfly and he was my defenseman. Same guy took a bad edge on a break away and thankfully, I got out of the way as he went straight into the net. He's actually a nice kid. 

I just wish I could play once more per week; my schedule simply prohibits it.

FML.

We tied the game with less than 2 minutes left with me on the bench. Then I promptly let in an easy shot with 11 seconds left to lose the game. Absolutely brutal. 

The novelty of getting to play hockey again has worn off, and now I have to start working on not sucking again...

Pickup from tuesday. Not bad, not great. Came out to challenge a point shot which ended up being 100x slower than I expected so it just went right through the 5-hole. One guy thought it was hilarious. I didn't. You'll see the result. I definitely don't normally do anything like this, but to be honest I was either going to slide into the puck, poke check him, and ended up doing neither and just gave him a shove instead. It was a dick move, I'm aware. I'd just had enough of him for the night. 

For what it's worth, the guys liked it because he doesn't pass and just cherry picks for breakaways all the time. Still, shoulda just poke checked him. Oh well.

• Like 1

It's been awhile since I posted a video so I'll give you guys an update. Game last night ended up in a 4-3 loss. We all had a pretty shakey first period but took the game over after that. First shot I didn't see until it was right on top of me. As I was looking for the puck I came off my angle a bit and left a good amount of room on the short side. Second goal was 100% my fault, didn't take care of the rebound. Third goal I should have covered the play much better then I did. I wish I could have had that one back. The fourth was a shot that was going to be going wide until it glanced off of a skate. I should have cut that off better but I wasn't expecting the shooter to throw it back toward the blocker side and with the way the guy to the right of me was positioned I wasn't expecting him to be able to get a shot off, so I didn't worry about him (lesson learned). 

It wasn't a bad game but I have definitely noticed that my first periods are pretty shakey. Until I fully get warmed up and moving more I generally allow in one softy. The good news is that I've found my playing style. I'm big on challenging the shooter far out from the net. My awareness and patience on the ice seems to be getting better  so most breakaways I'm able to stuff. Any recommendations or observations are much appreciated! My pad wrap is starting to really get busted up though so a slight color change may be coming up in the future. I'll post some pictures when I do change that though.

• Like 1

First of all, your pushes and down movements are excellent.  Very strong and fluid.

When I watch that video, what sticks out is that you aren't setting your feet.  You are constantly moving, even when you don't have to.  For example, the first goal.  you come out to create depth, then immediately start to back up and give some of it away, and move off your angle.  The puck hadn't really moved much so there was no real reason for you to give up your depth.  I know you were looking through a screen.  But you were in the right place, and moved yourself out of it on your own.   This happens a lot, if you look closely.  Find the angle, create depth, and set your feet.  Make small adjustments as necessary, but always get to the new spot as quickly as possible and set your feet again.  Snapping your heels into place each time you adjust is a good way of getting set up.  Even shuffles and t pushes should be a series of distinct individual movements, start-stop, not one long one.  When you are in constant motion, it's easy to get off your angle, or lose your net, or depth.  You lose some efficiency in your movements because your weight may not be set, and you may be a little slower because you have to correct before you can move.  Rebounds and saves are a little harder to control because you are maybe a little slow or having to readjust to the shot before moving.  Just my observation.

• Like 1

Thank you! @psulion22

Now that you mention it, I do notice my constant movement. I guess my inner basketball player in me (I played travel a lot when I was younger) is starting to work its way into my hockey play. We were always taught to never stand still and to constantly keep our feet moving. Muscle memory at its finest! It'll be interesting to work on that and see how well my brain reacts to the complete opposite of what it has done for years. Better work on my mental game a bit lol

I forgot to upload last week's game. We had 6 skaters, one of whom played the entire game. It was actually a defensive gem, but that meant not many scoring changes for us either. It's a super short video because I barely did anything. This really could have gone either way.

On 11/5/2016 at 5:04 AM, tedpenguins said:

It's been awhile since I posted a video so I'll give you guys an update. Game last night ended up in a 4-3 loss. We all had a pretty shakey first period but took the game over after that. First shot I didn't see until it was right on top of me. As I was looking for the puck I came off my angle a bit and left a good amount of room on the short side. Second goal was 100% my fault, didn't take care of the rebound. Third goal I should have covered the play much better then I did. I wish I could have had that one back. The fourth was a shot that was going to be going wide until it glanced off of a skate. I should have cut that off better but I wasn't expecting the shooter to throw it back toward the blocker side and with the way the guy to the right of me was positioned I wasn't expecting him to be able to get a shot off, so I didn't worry about him (lesson learned). 

It wasn't a bad game but I have definitely noticed that my first periods are pretty shakey. Until I fully get warmed up and moving more I generally allow in one softy. The good news is that I've found my playing style. I'm big on challenging the shooter far out from the net. My awareness and patience on the ice seems to be getting better  so most breakaways I'm able to stuff. Any recommendations or observations are much appreciated! My pad wrap is starting to really get busted up though so a slight color change may be coming up in the future. I'll post some pictures when I do change that though.

Well that didn't take long. You're already infinitely better than I am... 

And now this week's video.

Finally, a win. Should not have been anywhere near this close, but I'll take it after that long losing streak. Between the streak and my injury, this is my first win since May. Ouch.

Also, now that I have no pain in the foot or ankle anymore (it's now like it never happened), it's time to start working on some things again. Both goalie specific things, and also weight loss and working out again. I'm terrible at this point and I have to figure out how to get better without having any ice time besides games. 

On 11/14/2016 at 4:53 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Well that didn't take long. You're already infinitely better than I am... 

I don't think I would go that far! Injuries really put a damper your play; it seems like the little things are what are affected the most after an injury. 

13 hours ago, tedpenguins said:

I don't think I would go that far! Injuries really put a damper your play; it seems like the little things are what are affected the most after an injury. 

The injury isn't even a factor anymore. I'm just not very good. Movements are crap. Mostly because of my weight and my complete lack of flexibility.

On 11/14/2016 at 5:18 PM, IPv6Freely said:

And now this week's video.

Finally, a win. Should not have been anywhere near this close, but I'll take it after that long losing streak. Between the streak and my injury, this is my first win since May. Ouch.

Also, now that I have no pain in the foot or ankle anymore (it's now like it never happened), it's time to start working on some things again. Both goalie specific things, and also weight loss and working out again. I'm terrible at this point and I have to figure out how to get better without having any ice time besides games. 

A lot of those goals were garbage or off of bad rebounds that the team never cleared away. Like the 1 off the teammates skate and the rebound off of the nice toe save from the point. I know you watched the glove miss back but it wasn't that bad man. You looked rough at the beginning of the game and were very planted, meaning you didn't move side to side. You started moving better at the end and made a couple good saves by getting square first.

Did that shot off the shoulder hurt? I wasn't sure what was happening when you took off your mask.

22 minutes ago, Hills said:

A lot of those goals were garbage or off of bad rebounds that the team never cleared away. Like the 1 off the teammates skate and the rebound off of the nice toe save from the point. I know you watched the glove miss back but it wasn't that bad man. You looked rough at the beginning of the game and were very planted, meaning you didn't move side to side. You started moving better at the end and made a couple good saves by getting square first.

Did that shot off the shoulder hurt? I wasn't sure what was happening when you took off your mask.

It hit me in the side of the head after it hit the shoulder. Didn't hurt, just some ringing from the loudness and took the mask off to let the refs know I needed a second to let that subside. 

The one off the teammates skate was a fluke but I should have had the stick down. Lesson learned. I'll never make that mistake again. The rebound on the toe save... meh, yes they could have cleared that but realistically that was the only one of the last 3 goals (all of which happened in a span of 2 minutes) that wasn't garbage. 

Last night we have two defensive giveaways in our own end with our D-men trying to make a fancy pass from just inside our blue line, both of which ended up in our net. I should have had both of them though. The first goal was a breakaway.

Ended up losing in a shootout that I'm still beating myself up over. Stopped the first shot but the next two were the exact same move and both of them beat me. My right to left movement sucks. 

Sunday's game is finally up. Had to buy a USB-C microSD adapter for my new laptop.

Not very good. The first goal, NOBODY saw the guy. The D man and I are having a laugh about it. Like, totally missed the guy. You don't often see cherry picking like that in the first couple minutes of a game! Both of the other goals were off turnovers from our D trying to be too fancy at the blue line and giving it up.

Both shootout goals were the exact same move. My right to left movement sucks. So much fail.

Well, today went... not so bad, actually.

My original plan was to skate at the local school on Tuesday to gauge my readiness for real hockey, but when I got there, that skate was cancelled.  (so I went to PIAS and bought a 20 year old stick for @bunnyman666 instead).  So, forging ahead, I told the Russian Embassy that I would come back today anyway. 

I started off ... pretty wobbly, I guess.  (I'm also recovering from a cold - when it rains, it pours), let in a few soft goals, felt like I was going to puke.  I'm surprised I managed to get dressed in proper order.  But after 5 minutes or so I felt much better - adrenaline I suppose.  I still let in some bad goals because my stamina is shot all to hell (I made the mistake of looking at the clock at 9:30am, with the skate due to end at 9:50am.  Oops.)  and I was just worn, but my teammates gave no quarter and treated me exactly as they had before I had surgery so I got into things pretty quickly.  I made some nice saves and was pretty aggressive - I've been playing that way since the tournament in the summer, and it's working out well.  I took a nice close shot off the collarbone which has left a bruise, but mainly I was just tired, so nothing for that but skating.

And I am so, so happy to be playing again.

• Like 2

And I'm back!

had a skills and drills thing I do with friends and you see me skate as a player and i found out two goalies who showed up bailed so I jumped off and got my goalie gear on.

it was rough since I'm wearing someone else's leg pads last minute but I had a fun time.  First 13 minutes is drills and another goalie playing out and goofing around. Then I arrive at the 13ish Mark 

Edited by Thinkingjack
  • Like 1