Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

The 2014 Suspension Thread

I'm of that opinion. He took a decent shot to the chin, but the way his feet go down, and the way he protects his head when he hits the ice suggests to me he wasn't actually out cold.

that was more of a flop as well. Scott barely touched him

Scott got him in the mouth with the butt end of the stick. That has always been a suspension worthy offense. Having the history that Scott has, should make it worse than if it was a first offense.

I'm of that opinion. He took a decent shot to the chin, but the way his feet go down, and the way he protects his head when he hits the ice suggests to me he wasn't actually out cold.

I agree all the way around

I admit that I am a Hawks fan. However, I have never liked Carcillo and think they are a better team without him. However, Steve Downie slashed a guy down from behind and then broke his stick cross checking him while he was down. End result; two minute minor. I don't see how this play warrants an in person hearing if the Downie play is only a two minute minor. All I want is for the NHL to be consistent, similar plays should result in similar penalties.

I admit that I am a Hawks fan. However, I have never liked Carcillo and think they are a better team without him. However, Steve Downie slashed a guy down from behind and then broke his stick cross checking him while he was down. End result; two minute minor. I don't see how this play warrants an in person hearing if the Downie play is only a two minute minor. All I want is for the NHL to be consistent, similar plays should result in similar penalties.

Good argument. I'm all for transparency and consistency. I am against unsportsmanlike behaviours.

Until the NHL starts acting more on the actions than the outcomes we will always see this kind of inconsistency. Had Downie's crosscheck also resulted in a serious injury then we can be sure there would have been a call from the Department of Player Safety.

Rinaldo spoke about the incident with Letang after Tuesday's game.

"I changed the whole game, man," he said. "Who knows what the game would have been like if I didn't do what I did?"

It bothers me to see six games for anyone for that check, when we see frequent wrist slaps or passes on head hits.

well they don't always carry this with them

Jan. 2015: Chicago Blackhawks (Six games for cross-checking Mathieu Perreault)

May 2014: New York Rangers (Six games for abuse of officials)

Jan. 2012: Chicago Blackhawks (Seven for boarding Tom Gilbert)

Oct. 2011: Chicago Blackhawks (Two games, hit from behind on Joni Pitkanen)

May 2011: Philadelphia Flyers (Two games off-ice actions; engaged in “aggressive behavior and inappropriate conduct directed at the officials between periods)

March 2010: Philadelphia Flyers (Two games for an illegal cross-check to the head of David Clarkson)

Dec. 2009: Philadelphia Flyers (Four for punch to face of Matt Bradley)

April 2009: Philadelphia Flyers (One game for a punch and/or butt-end of the stick to the face of Max Talbot off the faceoff.)

Oct 2008: Phoenix Coyotes (Two games for leaving bench to fight with Ben Eager)

At least Rinaldo is acknowledging the problem that the NHL won't: with the way the NHL handles discipline, there's no reason for marginal players not to intentionally injure star players, sit out a half dozen games, then wait until the next important game against a divisional rival, and intentionally injure someone else.

Rather than dressing guys that can't play and only fight, teams should start dressing ECHL level guys for the league minimum and having them target key players on the other team. Even if you give up goals on the on PP and lose that game, the long term damage to your opponent for losing a key guy is worse than losing Rinaldo, who is a healthy scratch many nights anyway.

Talk about some convoluted reasoning. Your logic teacher just started crying and doesn't know why.

That's exactly why guys like Carcillo, Downie and Rinaldo (and plenty of others) are in the league. They're willing to hurt people for a paycheck