Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cosmic

Skates too big?

My shoe size is 11.5 on one side, 12.0 on the other. I forget which is which. These are my 10.0 EE Easton Mako II footbeds. When I tried on the skates, I could not even get my foot in without baking, so I figured they must be the right size. After baking and some break in, I feel like there is a bit too much space in the toe box. This is a bit too much black showing through, yes?

A1849217-509B-4BA5-BBAF-E23E4E86E0B8_zps

If your heel is sitting in the pocket and that is where your toes are resting on the footbed, then yes they look around one size too big for you. Looking at the width of your foot over the footbed, this gives an indication of why they may have "felt" the right length when you were trying them on.

It just constantly bemuses me how people / fitters can get the length wrong. If you had pulled the laces and tongue fully out when trying them on (so it reduces any narrowing of the skate around the foot due to width / volume constraints) then a skate that is too long for you is easy to see.

I think this probably happens a lot where people try on skates and their feet are getting squeezed on the sides because of a wide foot so they wind up going a size up which means a longer boot, when what should be happening is finding a wider fit.

It's almost impossible to get your foot into a Mako right out of the box. It's extremely hard just getting the laces into the eyelets...

I think this probably happens a lot where people try on skates and their feet are getting squeezed on the sides because of a wide foot so they wind up going a size up which means a longer boot, when what should be happening is finding a wider fit.

This is so true.

Almost every single adult that I've fitted over the past year (when I started noticing this trend) are surprised when I tell them their skate size. They've always (I blame other stores too of course haha) went up in size to get the width.

While the preferred way of fitting skates is to be brushing the toe cap, it's not a rule that must be obeyed. Some people prefer some room at the toes. As long as your foot is not moving around in the boot and it's comfortable, then that size is fine for you.

This is so true.

Almost every single adult that I've fitted over the past year (when I started noticing this trend) are surprised when I tell them their skate size. They've always (I blame other stores too of course haha) went up in size to get the width.

Exactly.

When i first started skating i wore size 7.5 skates. Some old brown leather tacks.

Next pair i bought were also 7.5 1052 tacks

Then later i bought size 6d nike v10 skates that were fited by a league friend who owned a lhs. Those were a bit wider but still too long. Never noticed they were too long until i realized i had problems doing backwards cross overs. My right heel would lift up inside the skate and i would pitch out when my blade caught the ice.

I think he sold me the 6s so he wouldnt have to sell me a cheaper jr skate.

This was all because of my extremely wide feet and i had no idea you could get skates in widths.

Before i got my vh skates my last pair of skates were eq50 4 and 4.5 ee and i had to punch those out like crazy all the time. Even though they were punched out the skatess would return back a bit.

Love my vh. No pain anymore in my feet.

While the preferred way of fitting skates is to be brushing the toe cap, it's not a rule that must be obeyed. Some people prefer some room at the toes. As long as your foot is not moving around in the boot and it's comfortable, then that size is fine for you.

That's the thing. It feels pretty good. I think I have a decent heel lock. I just wonder what it would be like if the boot felt more like part of my foot, if that makes sense. I think I am losing some agility, as there is some "feel" lost between me and the ice, due to having maybe a little extra clunkiness as the end of my skate.

I am aware though that if I drop down in size, then I also drop in runner length, so I will lose speed, unless I swap out the holders. I like my speed, and I like to maintain the integrity of the boot to holder, so just phishing for some info on what people think.

Cheers guys and thanks.

That's the thing. It feels pretty good. I think I have a decent heel lock. I just wonder what it would be like if the boot felt more like part of my foot, if that makes sense. I think I am losing some agility, as there is some "feel" lost between me and the ice, due to having maybe a little extra clunkiness as the end of my skate.

I am aware though that if I drop down in size, then I also drop in runner length, so I will lose speed, unless I swap out the holders. I like my speed, and I like to maintain the integrity of the boot to holder, so just phishing for some info on what people think.

Cheers guys and thanks.

With the way Makos (and similar boots) fit, your foot won't move, even if they are the wrong size. A shorter runner will also have zero impact on speed. A 9' radius is a 9' radius, the length of steel will have no impact on the amount of steel on the ice, assuming you use the same profile. The only thing a longer runner will allow is for you to be more stable while getting your weight too far forward. The extra couple MM of steel can help a very small amount when you get your shoulders out in front of your toes.