Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

Boston Bruins 2015-2016

I figure since the Sweeney appointment to GM is a move toward the future that perhaps it would be a good place to start next season's thread.

Apparently, it's Thanks For The Memories to Soderberg. I like his vision on the ice, and he looked like he would definitely be a keeper halfway through last year, but he sadly had turned into just another guy by season's end.

Between Neely saying the Bruins need to be "tougher to play against," and Sweeney saying they need to get "some of the agression back in their game," I'm worried the Bruins are going to resign ever-slowing Lucic to a long term deal, and go out and get "tough" "leaders" like Steve Ott or Max Lapierre.

I'd like to see a team that's tough to play against because they score goals, not one who always falls back on borderline unwatchable boring structure to continually lose one goal games.

I'm hopeful that he means they'll convince Hamilton to add some muscle and use it and they'll find a way to keep Miller healthy. I don't think you'll see them add guys like Ott or Lapierre simply because they don't have the cap space to add veteran grit. I anticipate some youngsters pairing with Max Talbot (should they keep him around) to give them a low budget 4th line.

I think they will explore moving Lucic but I'm not expecting him to move unless somebody wows Sweeney. They won't extend him over the summer simply because they've got some RFAs to take care of and need the cap space for them and whomever will be the backup goaltender, be it Subban or a very low budget veteran backup..

Between Neely saying the Bruins need to be "tougher to play against," and Sweeney saying they need to get "some of the agression back in their game," I'm worried the Bruins are going to resign ever-slowing Lucic to a long term deal, and go out and get "tough" "leaders" like Steve Ott or Max Lapierre.

That sounds exactly like the two teams that played for the Cup this year.

Oh wait, nevermind.

Yeah, I feel like the bruins are more interested in preserving the image of a big, burly, physical team who throws hits all the time, rather than one that is competitive.

That sounds exactly like the two teams that played for the Cup this year.

Oh wait, nevermind.

Exactly! And the trading of players because they aren't prototypical Bruins makes me want to vomit.

Anyone know the shortest tenure by an NHL GM?

Good grief what a shit show that was. I'm not opposed to trading Hamilton and Lucic had they used those picks to move up or flipped them for established NHL players, like making the deal EDM did with the NYI and picking up Griffen Reinhart.

I just don't get what they are trying to do, they're not in a position where they need to rebuild.

you mean, they weren't in a position where they need to rebuild. ;)

LOL good point.

I guess they still have time and this was probably the plan all along. Just so damn frustrating following this team. They finally crawl out of that black hole, win a cup, challenge for another and BANG, theyre right back where they started.

Anyone know the shortest tenure by an NHL GM?

Good grief what a shit show that was. I'm not opposed to trading Hamilton and Lucic had they used those picks to move up or flipped them for established NHL players, like making the deal EDM did with the NYI and picking up Griffen Reinhart.

I just don't get what they are trying to do, they're not in a position where they need to rebuild.

You're going to be a lot happier with Colin Miller than Edmonton will be with Reinhart.

They couldn't or wouldn't pay what Hamilton wants and frankly I don't think he deserves. They had to create cap space just to round out the roster and this is what they did. Folks are missing the plus side that they addressed the back up goalie hole and provided Subban more time to develop in Providence.

The biggest problem I see is on Defense. Who is going to play there??? I agree that Hamilton wasn't going to sign for a reasonable amount. Especially if you listen to guys like DJ Bean (B's reporter for WEEI). He thought they should have given him a 7 mill long term deal. That would have been absurd.

I'm guessing Sweeney thinks he can make some trades to address there needs. I hope he's right, because they don't have much cap room to address the needs in free agency as of today.

I really hope Reilly Smith isn't still here come September.

The question of the Bruins defense revolves around the health of Chara and Seidenberg. Will they be able to use the longer offseason to fully heal and return to something closer to their former selves. Their stable includes Krug, Bartkowski, Miller and McQuaid with guys like Morrow and the newly acquired Miller (from LA) knocking on the door.

Is the backend a question? Sure, but we'll know real fast come October if it needs a complete overhaul or if it will be serviceable.

The question is if Julien and his staff can develop young players. To date, they really haven't done much of that.

The question is if Julien and his staff can develop young players. To date, they really haven't done much of that.

I think it was a huge mistake bringing him back. Even if they make some moves and can acquire some veterans, Julien is going to be expected to improve from last season and get a new group of players jell and play well.

I think it's a no win situation for him, unless they somehow play great right out of the gate.

As their D go, Krug & Miller have upside and have continued to improve the last couple of years. I think Bartkowski is at best a sixth defenseman. And McQuaid is now vastly overpaid. I like him and think he's a good fit here but not at that number.

Seidenberg is the biggest question mark. If he can get back to how he played before than that's great.

I think Chara's age really started to show last year. He's really started piling on the injuries the last three years.

The Bruins sorely missed Boychuk last year. Now not only do they need to find one comparable player, but two.

I think would also be a mistake to assume that Colin Miller can step right into a top four role.

I think their asking for trouble if they go into next year with this defensive group as it looks now.

I barely paid attention to the draft, but I'm sure there were players available to the Bruins in the 3rd round who could have walked into camp and produced as much as Rinaldo. All he offers is the reputation that he might decide to end someone's career on any given night. If they wanted some garbage player who can only fight and run his mouth, why not bring Robins back up from providence?

Except for the Kings overpaying for Lucic, and the Sharks overpaying for Martin, Sweeney seems like a terrible GM.