Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DekeHead

Proper skate fit

I know that the ideal fit may be somewhat subjective, but I am curious what the actual classic proper fit of a skate is. There is a lot of talk about toes "feathering" the toe cap, and I'm not sure if I completely understand.

Should the big toe actually touch the toe cap while standing so that one must curl their toes? Or should it only brush against the toe cap if you consciously stretch your foot out?

Its mostly Personal preferance.

With that said, I like to have my big toe touch the cap, i mean actualy touch, not "feather touch". I know some people who find a skate where their toe "feather touches" then they go two sizes smaller. Most people I know like to have their skates feel really tight around their foot. I also heard alot of NHL'rs wear skates that are amazingly too small for them.

Iam just saying what i've heard. Maybe it was one of the NHL guys you havent had a conversation with.

From what I've heard it isn't a large number who use skates several sizes too small. I've heard that myth dispelled a number of times. Let's not get into another pissing match

Well, I dont know if its true or not. I've just heard some stuff. Its possible they could just be "myths" though.

As for the topic, as long as they arent too big, its pretty much a nice snug fit and personal preferance I think.

I think most NHLers get heir skates sized to their exact specs, i.e. 9 3/4 or 9 1/4 size skates. Although I have heard that many players like their skates on the smaller side, I would say the majority is probably like everyone on the MSH board and gets their skates to PP and not extremely tight/small.

Along the same lines, how exactly do you know when you require a wider cut such as EE? I have used the Bauer brannocks foot measurer, but it tells me that I am an 8.5 D. I currently wear a 6.5 D in the V-12 line, and a 8.5 XXX is like wearing clown shoes.

Is there a hard and fast rule to width, such as a maximum of Xinches of lace across the tongue?

There are no rules for fit, just personal preference. That is why internet purchasing of skates is risky. I've fit skaters ranging two sizes small up to 2 sizes big. Whatever feels good, ignore the Brannock. Those are used just to get a starting point.

JM

Pronger wears a size 8...

I duno how he does it. There's no way that's the proper size for him.

Chara is around a 9.5 or 10 if I remember correctly

Reed Low has massive moose feet like mine...they don't have a size on them, but i'd say 11.5 & they've gotta be EE, and they're insanely stiff...very, very stiff...

I am 6'3" and wear 9.0 in the XXs and my toes barely touch the end. I wear an 11 in dress shoes and 12 in Nikes. I don't see how Pronger wears an 8.0---he would fall over--isn't he like 6'5" ?

I know that some of the Devils wear really small skates, Madden and Gionta in particular. They like the "Toe Crushing" feeling. It helps to have a smaller skate in terms of agility and turning. How they get passed the pain is beyond me...prob cuz half of them are addicted to painkillers, but that's a different thread for a different site.

As for Pronger, I did hear that. I have the same thing. I have a 10 right foot and an 8 1/2 left. Sux for getting shoes and skates cuz I always have to fit the bigger foot, leaving my right one with a lot of room.

I have Stan Mikita's book "Inside Hockey" the first chapter he recomends a tight and mius one size hockey skate fit! I know its not to the extremes as previous posts have pointed out just thought I would add an actual quote by a player rather than conjecture!

it’s not uncommon for NHL players to wear extra small skates. Coffey was a size 10 shoe and 7 ¼ skate.

I was waiting for the Coffey reference. He was abnormal in many ways.

Does anybody actually know the difference in measurement between sizes in the Bauer lineup (e.g., a size 8 is X inches bigger than a size 7)?