Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBondo

Bauer Experience store in Burlington, MA

I like the part where they are going to have "Trained" employees. Are their trained employees going to be like the other chains and big box online brick and mortar stores, rotating teens and seasonal junior players? How much salary are they going to be willing to pay these folks to make the Bauer "experience" worth it?

I would say that would be correct for rep hockey. But hockey in general though.

In the US it has to be way more than 85% that don't play.

oldtrainerguy28 and jimmy, I agree 100% with staffing. After 30 + years in retail sporting goods, 1 in 5 employee hires is really really good. The other 3 are ok and after a week you realize the 4th guy has no people skills and let him go. Staffing turnover will be high but they have to invest in training so there goes a cost of doing business into the mix. The thrill of working the "Bauer Experience" may not last too long once the staff realizes it is just another retail job. Apple store employees get paid peanuts and Apple can get away with it because Apple is Apple.

I get how having their own store will give them more profit, no more independent stores (or big chains) to deal with. Logistically, for them it is a smart move. I just don't see how the experience will be any different than a local store. As we all know trying on a piece of equipment for 10 minutes or using it once doesn't guaranty fit or function. I think this part is a little gimmicky.

Hey what do we know. We have only been selling their products good and bad for 25 plus years! I get the idea and how they feel it will be better for them as a company dollar wise BUT for example.

They open one in Mississauga near say Dukes SFS and the other stores in that area. One or 2 will close down because that is there mainstay product. So unless someone else said CCM or other companies step up there livelihood will be gone and you will have people out of work. Luckily there is enough notice that most people can prepare and either get a job at Bauer or find another job. Funny though if it did go in that area as any store in Toronto will have it tough if they do not cater to the female market the only one growing in Toronto.

It will all be very interesting!

I think after they are established, they'd just tell Dukes, sorry we are closing your account, or not offer booking discounts, or prostock availability, long reorder times, no custom orders, etc. Make it so tough that they couldn't survive. They won't be able to compete. This is what the Monkeys have done to the little shops (I actually hope this move tanks Monkey big time, but that's another thread).

The online box stores who have opened retail locations pay in the $8-12 range. Bauer is going to have to offer way more than that to attract and keep quality experienced people.

In many industries manufacturers have tried this...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It is just as likely that they try one, and find that they don't make as much as they think, and they don't operate it nearly as well as they imagine.

Bauer isn't going to pull accounts on the local stores. Apple stores are in several malls in a given region, there will only be one of these Bauer stores per region and that means they will still need their product in local stores. Will they limit the number of local stores that carry their product? Perhaps. We have seen certain areas where favoritism was shown in the past. However, Bauer is still going to want a presence in at least some local stores to compete with the other manufacturers' product.

I think after they are established, they'd just tell Dukes, sorry we are closing your account, or not offer booking discounts, or prostock availability, long reorder times, no custom orders, etc. Make it so tough that they couldn't survive. They won't be able to compete. This is what the Monkeys have done to the little shops (I actually hope this move tanks Monkey big time, but that's another thread).

The online box stores who have opened retail locations pay in the $8-12 range. Bauer is going to have to offer way more than that to attract and keep quality experienced people.

Ya sorry they would never close Dukes Fred's son runs the store. I was just using it as example in that area because they have the closest ties.

But hey instead of being negative lets see how many positive things could happen if you had a store in your region!

2 things:

1) Prohibitive cost

2) Changing demographics

Great points, but to expand on it a little bit more...

Majority of the young players are dropping out when introduced to checking. If I remember correctly, USA Hockey allows full body checking in Bantham leagues. The problem USA Hockey is finding is that there are huge height and weight differences at that level. So, you have a child who looks like he's 14 and a child who looks like he's 8 (size to height ratio). As a result, you're seeing more drop outs. They were talking about introducing checking earlier, but there's a huge risk: concussions. A child is 4 times more likely than an adult to get a concussion because their brains are still developing and growing. So... it's a hard thing to balance.

In addition, you're finding parents driving their children to an "elite" level ealier. It no longer becomes about having fun, but about being the best and eventually making the big money. In fact, I often see parents yelling at their children through HEADSETS... yes, microphones in their helmets/ears, to criticize a certain play or move and have them practice over and over. I'm sure this sort of behavior has been around for ages, but I think it's becoming more prevalent with a changing economy. In other words, BIG MONEY at stake from both sides (corporate and family life).

Remember, most people don't replace head to toe all at once. Most parents only replace what has been outgrown. The Bauer store could have the positive impact of being a place where little Johnny finds out all of these new things that he likes and wants but his parents only have skates on the day's agenda. Suddenly, they know all of these other Bauer things that little Johnny would like when his birthday/Christmas what-have-you rolls around and now they can save the 30-60 whatever mile trip and snatch up those other Bauer items at their local store.

In a sense no matter where you are it is next door. Players travel so much on weekends that Philly kids playing in Boston will make it a destination stop during their time in Boston. That is what had been happening for years with Pure in Mass when Atlantic District players went to Marlborough Mass for weekend tourneys. Bauer knows this.

What kind of volume are they planning to do to afford their own private ice rink?

I'm having trouble seeing the long term feasibility of this endeavor. Like previous guys have said, labor is going to be a huge issue, angry accounts pulling product and not reordering is going to be another.

In a sense no matter where you are it is next door. Players travel so much on weekends that Philly kids playing in Boston will make it a destination stop during their time in Boston. That is what had been happening for years with Pure in Mass when Atlantic District players went to Marlborough Mass for weekend tourneys. Bauer knows this.

Pure Hockey has a location about a mile and a 1/2 from the Marlborough rinks. The Bauer facility is going to be around 45 minutes away from there.

I would guess the ice sheet will be something similar to Micro Ice, nowhere near the size of a full sheet.

Marlborough is just an example. The Bauer store in Boston/Burlington will be a destination location for hockey players traveling from out-of-town into the area. Bet on it. Bauer is.

Correct, a tour bus with 2 Pittsburg junior teams stopped at my store a couple of weeks ago. They get around. heck, even the little 8yo's travel to Lake Placid

Sure, it will garner some attention from out of towners, similar to what Pure Hockey, TSR and Hockey Monkey experience but it isn't Disney World.

Correct, a tour bus with 2 Pittsburg junior teams stopped at my store a couple of weeks ago. They get around. heck, even the little 8yo's travel to Lake Placid

Dollars to donuts says that bus was destined for the Hudson rinks which you could hit practically hit with a rock from your back door. Not really the same as what DS is talking about.

I just really hope they stock Breezer's and not those silly pants the rest of the world likes...... :biggrin:

Agreed, I'm in the market for some breezers and find it silly I always see pants on store sites...

Anyway, being from Minnesota, I'm looking forward to checking the store out when it opens. I wonder where it will be, before reading the article I figured they were going to put a large store in the Mall of America or something. With a rink of some kind, I'm assuming a suburb and a bigger location similar to a Cabelas or something like that.

I don't know how it will affect the local shops around here, but I'd guess that after the new factor wears off, it will be back to normal. I'd guess the local places will do some creative things to compete with the try before you buy stuff too, which will be good for everyone.

chippa, if you had ever been to a Bauer World event in Florida, you would think twice about the Disneyworld comment. Bauer knows how to do Disneyworld.

Cheers.

Ya sorry they would never close Dukes Fred's son runs the store. I was just using it as example in that area because they have the closest ties.

But hey instead of being negative lets see how many positive things could happen if you had a store in your region!

You mean Gary? Who's Fred?

hehe jimmy if you knew how big Duke's' account is with Bauer, you may reconsider that post. Not saying I know for sure one way or the other...

Sure, it will garner some attention from out of towners, similar to what Pure Hockey, TSR and Hockey Monkey experience but it isn't Disney World.

Dollars to donuts says that bus was destined for the Hudson rinks which you could hit practically hit with a rock from your back door. Not really the same as what DS is talking about.

I think the point he was making was hockey players travel and put in lots of miles going places, so driving to a destination Bauer store from one's local area won't be a big deal from a travel aspect.

You mean Gary? Who's Fred?

hehe jimmy if you knew how big Duke's' account is with Bauer, you may reconsider that post. Not saying I know for sure one way or the other...

Perhaps, but it all comes down to making money with the least effort. Can bauer make more money without using a middleman like Duke's?

That's the main business question of course. The answer though, is of course highly uncertain. As an insider, I would say no. If I were making a bet, it wouldn't be as certain.