Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Faster stickhandling tips

How do I work on that....After seeing Kovys video lol, he makes my stickhandling look like shit.....any suggestions on how to stickhandle faster? When ever I try, i get too ahead of my self and screw up

Starting slow is the best way. Once you get a good motion while going slow you'll be able to go at about that speed looking straight ahead.

A great way that worked for me when I started the game, you know back in the days of Moses, was to use a good old mylec ball on pavement. When it is cold it bounces all over the place and helps with the quickness and soft hands.

Try working on flipping and catching the puck on your stick, higher and higher, forehand to back hand, then work on keeping it rolling along the blade, flip it up and catch it on edge to keep going....all these will really help your touch and feel.

Follow this by 20 minutes of "blind" stick handling where you only use feel to control the puck, not sight..the more you can divorce your stickhandling from your eyesight, the easier all moves will become....make sure you practice an increasing difficulty of patterns as you get better. This will allow all that touch and feel stuff to happen while you are now watching the game around you instead of the ice or the floor....much easier to make moves when you can see what the other guy is going to do first.

Do not worry if you cannot do these drills to your satisfaction right away....they take time to master.

PCP pipe I think its called. Put it over the shaft of your stick and put your bottom hand on it. It'll force you to use your top hand and your wrist. You'll get stronger and better at stickhandling. It feels weird at first but once you take the pipe off you feel like you've been on steroids for a while.

PCP pipe I think its called. Put it over the shaft of your stick and put your bottom hand on it. It'll force you to use your top hand and your wrist. You'll get stronger and better at stickhandling. It feels weird at first but once you take the pipe off you feel like you've been on steroids for a while.

Wow...that sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try that for sure.

Another thing is to buy one of these training balls and stickhandle with that. It simulates the weight and flow of a puck -

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/smart-hockey-ball.html

Also, I saw a thing on ESPN a while back showing Pierre Turgeon working out. What he did was tape 4 ice pucks onto the blade of his stick (2 on each side of the blade). He said he would just stickhandle with it for a while until his wrists were exhausted. I tried it and it really works well. It friggin' kills your wrists, lol. And when you go to stickhandle with a normal stick and puck, the puck moves around like it is weightless.

Also, I saw a thing on ESPN a while back showing Pierre Turgeon working out. What he did was tape 4 ice pucks onto the blade of his stick (2 on each side of the blade). He said he would just stickhandle with it for a while until his wrists were exhausted. I tried it and it really works well. It friggin' kills your wrists, lol. And when you go to stickhandle with a normal stick and puck, the puck moves around like it is weightless.

the smart balls work great I have 2 or 3 of them.

I had an old LAX coach that would take the but end off your shaft and fill it with dirt or water. Make you use it during practice. Get into a game you felt like you could wrip a shot and whack the hell out of everyone lol.

I had an old LAX coach that would take the but end off your shaft and fill it with dirt or water.  Make you use it during practice.  Get into a game you felt like you could wrip a shot and whack the hell out of everyone lol.

I've filled a couple of my shafts with sand. They become very helpful playing defense if you can actually swing the stick :D And it makes every stick feel like a feather

throw a pair of gloves on the floor/ice and stickhandle in figure eights around them. get the motion down then slowly pick up speed. Then do it without looking.

How do I work on that....After seeing Kovys video lol, he makes my stickhandling look like shit.....any suggestions on how to stickhandle faster? When ever I try, i get too ahead of my self and screw up

If you have a floor like in my video, put Gigolo on the floor so it will glide better, and do large stickhandle with a normal puck and when you start getting better(good feel with your stick) and not just 1 hour(long hours of practice), after try to do less medium stickhandle a lot of hours and then mid-short and after short. It took maybe an uncountable numbers of hours to become like that.

Also try to watch the good stickhandler like Kovalev, Havlat, Datsyuk, etc(There is not a lot of great stickhandler) and look how they play with the puck. Try to emulate a bit their style.

There are fast stickhandler who can do move at full speed like Kovalev-Havlat-Kovalchuk-Zherdev. And there are slower stickhandler like Ribeiro and Datsyuk who have slower hands but extremely agile and smooth. But to me there is no faster stickhandler than Kovalev.

You have to play with the puck each day of the week.

If you have a floor like in my video, put Gigolo on the floor so it will glide better, and do large stickhandle with a normal puck and when you start getting better(good feel with your stick) and not just 1 hour(long hours of practice), after try to do less medium stickhandle a lot of hours and then mid-short and after short. It took maybe an uncountable numbers of hours to become like that.

What is gigolo ;) ? Do u mean jello? Also what do u mean by long stickhandling and short (do you mean time)?

throw a pair of gloves on the floor/ice and stickhandle in figure eights around them. get the motion down then slowly pick up speed. Then do it without looking.

look on my floor, there are 5 little circles on it to stickhandle around. I think we see 2 out of the 5. I think it's important to get use to our gloves so if you don't have an extra pair, draw little circles in 8 or like I did.

What is gigolo ;) ? Do u mean jello? Also what do u mean by long stickhandling and short (do you mean time)?

Gigolo is a liquid silicone in spray.

Here are short stickhandle |..|

Here are large stickhandle |....................|

The | is your blade.

Tell me if you understand or not.

PCP pipe I think its called.  Put it over the shaft of your stick and put your bottom hand on it.  It'll force you to use your top hand and your wrist.  You'll get stronger and better at stickhandling.  It feels weird at first but once you take the pipe off you feel like you've been on steroids for a while.

Thats PVC pipe, lol. PCP is a drug.

PCP pipe I think its called.  Put it over the shaft of your stick and put your bottom hand on it.  It'll force you to use your top hand and your wrist.  You'll get stronger and better at stickhandling.  It feels weird at first but once you take the pipe off you feel like you've been on steroids for a while.

Thats PCV pipe, lol. PCP is a drug.

a roll of toilet paper will also work.

Thats PCV pipe, lol. PCP is a drug.

Otherwise known as PVC to most of us.

practice is key, but you guys have to understand that not everyone can have rocket hands. Some people are just born with it.

I remember Hartley talking about doing the figure 8 drill in training camp and how guys like Sakic were so fast, yet guys like Foote had a lot of trouble with it.

Try working on flipping and catching the puck on your stick, higher and higher, forehand to back hand, then work on keeping it rolling along the blade, flip it up and catch it on edge to keep going....all these will really help your touch and feel.

Follow this by 20 minutes of "blind" stick handling where you only use feel to control the puck, not sight..the more you can divorce your stickhandling from your eyesight, the easier all moves will become....make sure you practice an increasing difficulty of patterns as you get better. This will allow all that touch and feel stuff to happen while you are now watching the game around you instead of the ice or the floor....much easier to make moves when you can see what the other guy is going to do first.

Do not worry if you cannot do these drills to your satisfaction right away....they take time to master.

Awesome tips, MDE3, thanks! The best tips in this topic. (Figure of 8 is good but well known) Thanks, especially for "michegan then puck juggling, catching and rolling"! I can feel that THIS will work and improve touch/control... (goes off to practice in the kitchen)

Sorry, a question! Is it really possible to do (repatedly, not one off) toe drags by feel (ie "blind"), at least to your knowledge? Cheers

I see kids every day that can do the Michigan/puck juggling but can't do anything in a game situation. Make sure you spend time working on skills that can be applied in the course of the game.