Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Anyone cut a stick only to add an extension?

I have heard that some guys cut their sticks short only to add a wooden extension. Say you cut down 2 inches and add a 1 inch wood extension. I guess it helps with stick balance/feel? Anyone try it or know someone that does?

I had to do it with sticks when I played roller. just a small extension, but the wood was a nice counter balance and gave me a better feel with how the light the puck was.

could also be I'm crazy and there was no benefit.

I do with all my sticks.  I cut down an extra 2-3 inches and add a wood plug. I taper the plug and round out the end. I dont really notice a weight or balance difference, but i do it for comfort and it dampens vibrations a bit.

i used to do this. it really helped with stick balance since i used zero knob and little stick tape. sticks are so well balanced these days though i've stopped and just stick with the plastic end plug. 

I do it. 

I cut maybe an inch off of most retail sticks, and add an extension and cut it to the same size I cut off.  I then use a Dremel and really round out the corners.

I don't use a ton of tape, but this kind of offsets the little bit of a knob I do create, and I have just always liked the feel.  Its probably a bit unnecessary to most, and I probably just do it out of force of habit as opposed to trying anything else.  It works for me though.

I cut about 6 inches off mine, then replace same length with a wooden plug. I shape via sandpaper/dremel and taper the handle.

I cant really stand how blade heavy sticks feel without a good deal of weight in my top hand. I think it just makes my sticks play and feel better. 

Zach

I just cut 2 inches off my new APX and replaced the 2 with a wood extension. I'm going to hand sand it so it's rounded at the top and see how it feels. Maybe it'll also save my glove palms too

I use a short stick, probably up to my collar bone roughly, cut and replace the factory plastic stick plug. I usually throw a bit of tape over the plug as I have had them pop out from time to time. I use a small grip at the end as most of the sticks I use have grip and tape doesn't really seem to be needed. If anything, I might do a quick single wrap of tape if the stick had too much vibration but since I found the sticks I like it's not needed.

i do that too.. all my sticks have a 1inch 1/4 wood plug.     ive been doing that for 3 years or so.   i discovered it by chance....i just realized that the sticks i was playing with were too short for me so i put an inch wood plug into one to try a longer length but expecting a worse feeling stick, but i was astonished at how much better feeling the puck felt.  it probably reduces vibrations or something, not sure exactly what it is but wow, it feels so much better.   Dont go with the composite extensions, wood is the way to go.   Back in the days, Easton was selling their top synergies with wood plugs, but they stopped doing it i dont know when.   i bought a bunch of prostock sticks recently, and a lot of them had a 3 inch wood extension coming with them.

never went back to leaving sticks with just the little plastic cap.

I know some who cut the extra length off, and then put a wood plug in that already has a tacki-mac on it. When they change sticks, they just remove the plug and the tacki-mac remains on the end plug. saves you having to buy a tacki-mac every time you change a stick.

I thought about doing that with my next few sticks. So far all the tacki-macs I've installed, I've just had to sell along with the sticks I got rid of. 

1 hour ago, fatwabbit said:

I know some who cut the extra length off, and then put a wood plug in that already has a tacki-mac on it. When they change sticks, they just remove the plug and the tacki-mac remains on the end plug. saves you having to buy a tacki-mac every time you change a stick.

I thought about doing that with my next few sticks. So far all the tacki-macs I've installed, I've just had to sell along with the sticks I got rid of. 

I tried using one of those tacki-mac grips and hated it! It deadens the feel of the puck so much. Stickhandling with it was troublesome but I did get a much harder shot. Some people love them though. I have three of them sitting here that were gifted to me so if anyone wants them let me know and I can mail you them.