Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

layziebone_

Mid level stick or new blade

I'm trying to choose between 2 options for a new stick. Right now I have a Bauer Total One shaft as well as a One95 shaft. I was wondering am I better off getting a new Supreme 1S blade for $85 or a mid level stick like the Supreme S180 for $160? Or maybe a Supreme S170 for $110. These are Canadian prices btw. 

I feel there are some really good options nowadays in that 110.00-160.00 MSRP price range (Warrior QRL3, and the STX Surgeon RX2.1 are two recent ones I have used and really liked) .  That's not even taking into consideration the clearance deals on higher end sticks.

I used to really like 2 piece set ups.  However, the hassle of finding decent blades, as well as the options for them, has turned me towards using OPS's exclusively.

If I can get two Supreme 1S blades for $170 for my two shafts, wouldn't that be better than one 1-piece at $150-$160? My LHS has a bunch of these blades in my curve.

I guess my question is, have mid level one piece sticks become more performant than a 2-piece? 

Mid level sticks have come a long way. That 150 range was once filled with dogs, that's no longer the case. Plus you need consider last years sticks will run you about 150 once the new model hits the shelf. The 1X is a perfect example.

I haven't bought blades in awhile but $170 for two blades seems kind of steep. Price and availability forced me out of the 2 piece game.

It really depends on how long those blades last. If they hold up well and you're happy with the performance, why change.

13 hours ago, layziebone_ said:

If I can get two Supreme 1S blades for $170 for my two shafts, wouldn't that be better than one 1-piece at $150-$160? My LHS has a bunch of these blades in my curve.

I guess my question is, have mid level one piece sticks become more performant than a 2-piece? 

If you're dedicated to Bauer that's one thing, but BASE might have your preferred pattern and I think they charge only $60 per blade...not sure if it's more Canadian, though.

On 12/10/2016 at 8:51 AM, flip12 said:

If you're dedicated to Bauer that's one thing, but BASE might have your preferred pattern and I think they charge only $60 per blade...not sure if it's more Canadian, though.

No I'm not dedicated to Bauer blades. I just love the way the One95 and Total One shafts shoot. I'm open to trying different blades. 

On 12/10/2016 at 8:23 AM, stick9 said:

Mid level sticks have come a long way. That 150 range was once filled with dogs, that's no longer the case. Plus you need consider last years sticks will run you about 150 once the new model hits the shelf. The 1X is a perfect example.

I haven't bought blades in awhile but $170 for two blades seems kind of steep. Price and availability forced me out of the 2 piece game.

It really depends on how long those blades last. If they hold up well and you're happy with the performance, why change.

You're right. I always break my sticks at the blade. And even though $85 is a lot for just a blade, it's still cheaper than a $150 one piece. 

That $85 1S blade is no different that the T1 and NXG blades that retailed for $60. If you can find the old models in your curve I'd go with them.

APX 2 SEs would also work. 

+1 on the STX Surgeon RX 2.1. I'm used to using lighter, higher end sticks but I got a 2.1 recently and love it. I was initially worried I would be able to really tell the difference but I cant.

I recently bought some APX2 and TO blades, and I can say that they are very solidly built. If you like the current shaft setup, then stick with what you are comfortable with.

On 12/9/2016 at 2:08 PM, layziebone_ said:

or a mid level stick like the Supreme S180 for $160? Or maybe a Supreme S170 for $110

For $150 you can get top of the line one piece from last year, or even some crazy pro stick from PSH.  Not sure if that translates to the CAD retailers, but that would be my choice.

Good luck!

On 2016-12-10 at 8:51 AM, flip12 said:

It's $65 CAN, but the real question here is whether his shafts are standard or tapered. I'm guessing standard, since tapered Supreme-line shafts are rarer, IIRC. BASE only offers tapered blades.