Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamarquan

Sticks for 40$ or less - which to buy?

Hello everyone, 

I've been needing to go back down to Junior sticks for a while, but I haven't gotten around to buying one since my season ended about a month ago and I haven't played since. However, I've been looking at HM for cheap sticks, and they gave me a $20 discount code, I could grab the Warrior QRL5 or the True A1.0 SBP for 40$ free shipping, or the Sherwood T90 for 9$ and 6$ shipping. If anyone has used any of these sticks, which would you recommend the most? I don't really notice the difference between low and mid kick sticks, so I'm open to buying any of them. Thanks. 

1 minute ago, icewalker_bg said:

The T90 is not a low end stick like the rest. 

No, but it's had time for the market to pass it by in technology. Either way, I can get it for 10 dollars, but I want to know if I'm better off with the QRL5 or the True.

14 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

No, but it's had time for the market to pass it by in technology. Either way, I can get it for 10 dollars, but I want to know if I'm better off with the QRL5 or the True.

No, the T90 for 10$ is a no brainer...we are not talking about cell phone evolution over the past years here, the low end QRL5 or T1.0 cant be much better. I would choose a mid-high end stick from the last 10 years over any low end stick from today. 

So I am answering to you what I would get, , you gave 3 choices...if you know what to get why dont you get it already? Its been months you are figuring out what stick to buy, I think you are over complicating your decisions here especially considering what you are buying. 

icewalker is right;  other sticks may or may not have passed it by in technology,  but fwiw it is still worlds  away from the pieces of lumber that you are comparing it to. At 9 bucks it is a real no brainer

3 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

No, the T90 for 10$ is a no brainer...we are not talking about cell phone evolution over the past years here, the low end QRL5 or T1.0 cant be much better. I would choose a mid-high end stick from the last 10 years over any low end stick from today. 

So I am answering to you what I would get, , you gave 3 choices...if you know what to get why dont you get it already? Its been months you are figuring out what stick to buy, I think you are over complicating your decisions here especially considering what you are buying. 

You make a fair point, and I am absolutely horrible at decision making for things like these. As much as I'm itching to try True, I really liked my $25 Rekker EK3 before I destroyed the blade, so the T90 seems very obvious.

Thank you for bringing me  to my senses.

I have not used anything other than a T90 Senior, but they are tanks and are just slightly heavier than your high end stick, I believe around 470 grams for senior for the 1st gen which I used years ago. 

So I dont see the junior being much different, I would go as far and say its one of the best sticks ever made for price / performance /  durability. 

On 12/14/2016 at 8:29 AM, icewalker_bg said:

IF he waits another 5 months or so, then he can get a mid end stick from today's group, slashed in half to be put on clearance, then another 30% when those clearance sticks are being targeted for sale. Sounds like I am joking, but I am sort of serious. I plan to grab a few RX2.1s for $40 in a few months.

2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

IF he waits another 5 months or so, then he can get a mid end stick from today's group, slashed in half to be put on clearance, then another 30% when those clearance sticks are being targeted for sale. Sounds like I am joking, but I am sort of serious. I plan to grab a few RX2.1s for $40 in a few months.

I'm not sure I've got five months, at that point I may be tall enough to use my 32$ RibCor, which I'm not big on.  I could also grab a high end stick from last year, like the EK15 or T120 at 63 and 55, respectively, or the RBZ 280 for 40. If not, the T90 is 20 bucks. 

On 12/13/2016 at 5:53 PM, icewalker_bg said:

I have not used anything other than a T90 Senior, but they are tanks and are just slightly heavier than your high end stick, I believe around 470 grams for senior for the 1st gen which I used years ago. 

So I dont see the junior being much different, I would go as far and say its one of the best sticks ever made for price / performance /  durability. 

Just curious and playing devils' advocate here,  but you are relating your experience of a SR stick to the JR?  Is the T90 Sr stick built exactly the same way as the Jr?

I don't have much experience with the Sherwood line;  however,  many of the Sr sticks I have handled / shot felt very nice.

I know it's common practice for companies strip back features and really rely on graphics to sell a JR model hence the drop in price as well.

And yes-  $9 is a no brainer.  :)

I think some of the less established / newer COPS manufacturers use most of the same tech across size ranges. The opposite of that is Bauer putting the flex profile from the NXG into their $90 Junior stick this year. 

And it's $17 now, but now I get free shipping, so it's all good.

18 hours ago, tpedersen3118 said:

Hell, at $17 get 2!

I could, but I've only broken one stick ever, so two is probably not necessary. 

3 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

I could, but I've only broken one stick ever, so two is probably not necessary. 

Famous last words. For that price it's nice to have the same backup stick if something happens, like your tape gets all cut up in the first period :) Especially since you have a $20 off coupon.

Just now, darkhors said:

Famous last words. For that price it's nice to have the same backup stick if something happens, like your tape gets all cut up in the first period :) Especially since you have a $20 off coupon.

I've taken more faceoffs (less than 10) than I've broken sticks (one, because I used it on the street before I had a shooting pad).

Ok - I'm buying the T90. One last question. Is the PP09 the same as the PM9? I saw it compared to the P106 today, which I've never used because Bauer doesn't sell it in Junior, so I wanted to be sure. Otherwise, I'll stick with the PP26.

16 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

Ok - I'm buying the T90. One last question. Is the PP09 the same as the PM9? I saw it compared to the P106 today, which I've never used because Bauer doesn't sell it in Junior, so I wanted to be sure. Otherwise, I'll stick with the PP26.

See blade chart database

38 minutes ago, tpedersen3118 said:

See blade chart database

The PP09 is closer to the CCM Ovechkin and Easton P6, but deeper and less open. Having never used those curves, will they be good for wrist shots and deflections, or should I use a different curve?

3 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

The PP09 is closer to the CCM Ovechkin and Easton P6, but deeper and less open. Having never used those curves, will they be good for wrist shots and deflections, or should I use a different curve?

The Ovechkin is a lot like the P29 and W03, which I recall you don't like. I don't think the PP09 is like the Ovechkin, which IMHO is like the Sherwood Stastny. 

From just eyeing it, it looked a lot like the Warrior Zetterburg, but I wouldn't bet the farm on my memory. 

1 hour ago, puckpilot said:

The Ovechkin is a lot like the P29 and W03, which I recall you don't like. I don't think the PP09 is like the Ovechkin, which IMHO is like the Sherwood Stastny. 

From just eyeing it, it looked a lot like the Warrior Zetterburg, but I wouldn't bet the farm on my memory. 

The Warrior Zetterberg is the P88 from Bauer. And yes, I do not like the W03. That leaves the Coffey as the only curve left. I picked the Stastny because I wasn't sure the Coffey was usable, but it's like the P46, so that sounds good.

EDIT: Either the PP09 or the PP77. I misread your post.

6 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

The three curves that you just described are very different. 

One is a P92 / E3 clone, the other is a Drury, and the PP09 is something along the lines of a P106. All three curves will play differently. 

28 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

The three curves that you just described are very different. 

One is a P92 / E3 clone, the other is a Drury, and the PP09 is something along the lines of a P106. All three curves will play differently. 

I know that, but I've had trouble adjusting my game, or getting comfortable with, to any specific curve, so with the exception of the P92 and PM9, I'm open to try anything.

I know I've more or less left this thread to die, as I seem to do with all the threads I start, but I still haven't ordered a stick because A) I don't know if I should buy the PP09 (Bauer P91A) or the PP77 (Coffey), and B) my indecisiveness has stopped me from doing it, and now I could buy the Graf G95 Revolt for 37$ from Monkey, but only in the P88, and I'm still interested in the A1.0SBP, even though I know the other two sticks are better. So, the question: Do I buy the T90, even though I'm undecided on curve, the G95, which is twice as much but similar performance but a more familiar curve, or the True because my indecisive powers tell me to?

EDIT: The STX Stallion 200 is an alternative to the A1.0 SBP