Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jgscenter

90's Skates

Another vote for the Micron Mega Air 10-90. I wore them again for the last time a couple of years ago - the white plastic on the quarter package had become brittle and broke off.

47 minutes ago, the_game said:

I might not have the memory or product knowledge from back then, but if I am not mistaken the Micron Mega were manufactured under CAN-STAR (same with the Daoust around that time?) which I believe at the time encompassed Bauer as well, so technically the Air 10-90 Bure wore were Bauer. Again I might be wrong.

I see where you're going with that, but from what I've heard/read, Bauer Air 90s were different. Although it was all under the same umbrella of CAN-STAR, it seems there was some autonomy for the different brands to continue producing skates their own way until Bauer officially engulfed them all. The Air 90s were the only ones I know of that they adopted for the Bauer brand at retail, but earlier Micron and Daoust models show up with Bauer branding on the feet of Ray Bourque, Konstantinov, Doug Brown, and others. My Bure comment comes from him wearing Mega Air 90s exclusively until Bauer got him in Bauer Air 90s, which he promptly ditched for CCM Tacks, and then back to Mega Air 90s until the Vapor 8s were developed. Maybe it was just about the looks, but my guess was it was rather about the fit and feel, which others have commented wasn't the same between the two versions of the Air 90s.

23 minutes ago, flip12 said:

I see where you're going with that, but from what I've heard/read, Bauer Air 90s were different. Although it was all under the same umbrella of CAN-STAR, it seems there was some autonomy for the different brands to continue producing skates their own way until Bauer officially engulfed them all. The Air 90s were the only ones I know of that they adopted for the Bauer brand at retail, but earlier Micron and Daoust models show up with Bauer branding on the feet of Ray Bourque, Konstantinov, Doug Brown, and others. My Bure comment comes from him wearing Mega Air 90s exclusively until Bauer got him in Bauer Air 90s, which he promptly ditched for CCM Tacks, and then back to Mega Air 90s until the Vapor 8s were developed. Maybe it was just about the looks, but my guess was it was rather about the fit and feel, which others have commented wasn't the same between the two versions of the Air 90s.

Not sure how much this relates, but i know Bure started in 707's then i think went to mega's.  I cant recall him wearing Tacks for maybe more than a season, if that (his rookie year?)  So maybe he wore tacks in between 707's and Mega's?  But i do know at one point he was (i'm guessing he had to) blacking out the mega logo on his skates.  I also have 3 pairs of Mega Air 90's.  I dont know what years each were produced but one pair has a much higher arch than my other 2 pairs and makes my foot cramp a bit.  I'm guessing perhaps that was the Bauer version?  The bottom of that pair did not have the Canstar logo on them.  The other 2 do and im guessing were the original version. 

2 hours ago, caseyjones said:

Not sure how much this relates, but i know Bure started in 707's then i think went to mega's.  I cant recall him wearing Tacks for maybe more than a season, if that (his rookie year?)  So maybe he wore tacks in between 707's and Mega's?  But i do know at one point he was (i'm guessing he had to) blacking out the mega logo on his skates.  I also have 3 pairs of Mega Air 90's.  I dont know what years each were produced but one pair has a much higher arch than my other 2 pairs and makes my foot cramp a bit.  I'm guessing perhaps that was the Bauer version?  The bottom of that pair did not have the Canstar logo on them.  The other 2 do and im guessing were the original version. 

The bauer version was. Black and dark gray,  with. Bauer branding. 

Going on the way back my buddy from my morning pickup just toasted his Bauer Custom 100s.  The quarter package separated from the outsole. I wish I had pics. 

I told him I though he get his money worth

3 hours ago, caseyjones said:

Bure's progression as far as I've gathered:

CSKA/CCCP:

Bauer Supreme

34311047893_ed5fa4a747.jpg

Graf 703

Micron QuadraFlex

35120549315_aed8425740_c.jpg

Graf 707

BureCSKA2.jpg

Vancouver:

Graf 707 predominately for the first few years

x_8b005310.jpg

with some CCM Tacks

x_bf765cec.jpg

and Micron QuadraFlex mixed in

48456-8Fr.jpg

then Micron Mega Air 90

pavalbure-635x357.jpg

Bauer Air 90

9109426.jpg?size=640x420

CCM Tacks again

34734744230_8189602ede_c.jpg

Mega Air 90 again

pavelbure_468x691.jpg

Then blacked out, I'm guessing because of an endorsement contract with Bauer

x_a5292b5b.jpg

and finally Vapor <8 ("less than" because they had a TPU outsole)

z_925676ec.jpg

And of course Vapors 8 and 10 to finish his NHL career.

13 hours ago, flip12 said:

This is 100% right.  The two brands were wholly separate under CAN-STAR.  Different manufacturing, different design teams, different everything.   When Nike bought CAN-STAR in the '90s they eventually collapsed all the brands into Bauer.  The Bauer Air 90s were very different from the Mega Air 90s.  The Bauer's had a different liner, different tongue and the air ankle pads - the key feature of the skate - were significantly smaller and more compacted.  

I will also go to my grave believing the MEGA Power Clip actually had performance enhancing benefits.  Yes, I'm aware this makes me nuts.  But we all have to believe in something, right?

2 hours ago, shooter27 said:

This is 100% right.  The two brands were wholly separate under CAN-STAR.  Different manufacturing, different design teams, different everything.   When Nike bought CAN-STAR in the '90s they eventually collapsed all the brands into Bauer.  The Bauer Air 90s were very different from the Mega Air 90s.  The Bauer's had a different liner, different tongue and the air ankle pads - the key feature of the skate - were significantly smaller and more compacted.  

I will also go to my grave believing the MEGA Power Clip actually had performance enhancing benefits.  Yes, I'm aware this makes me nuts.  But we all have to believe in something, right?

I believe in the clip too. If your like the first few eyelets tight, like Bure and Mogilny did, then the clip makes a lot of sense for anchoring the foot there. The rest of the boot was so soft, there had to be some structure in there. It was an incredibly smart support system, with so much of what was stiff on the outside of the boot. I'm also nuts :)

Wow I'm getting some real flash backs here!

Here's my skate history, had some real horrors.

First Skates - Pro Acro? Like this but without Brett Hulls name on them. Awful awful things.

$_1.JPG

First Upgrade on these - Bauer Pro Team 25. I was SO excited to get a proper Pair of Bauers - My parents obviously saw I was at least a little committed!

Bauer_Pro_Team_25_1446121990.jpg

Both of these obviously had liberal amounts of Toe Pro on them, because.... it was the Nineties.

I can't remember the exact order that I got the following beauts in but it was something like this...

Bauer Supreme 4000 - Still maintain these are one of the best looking pairs of wheels ever made. Got these on a family holiday to Canada, loved them then, and wish I still fit them now!

Mens-Bauer-Supreme-4000-Ice-Skates-Size-

Nike Zoom Air - Pavel Bure and Wayne Gretzky had Nikes, I wanted Nikes...

nike_zoom_air3.jpg

Then to top of the nineties awesomeness, I traded those beauties for these.

1-6233.jpg

Holy Crap were they uncomfortable and unforgiving compared to every other skate I had ever owned at that time!

And right about that time is when I quit playing until about 4 years ago, played roller off and on in the gap; but I'll leave those ugly beasts for another time!

4 hours ago, greyskull said:

Nike Zoom Air - Pavel Bure ... had Nikes, I wanted Nikes...

What? When?

Russians who had Nikes:

Fedorov, Korolyuk, Kovalev, Mogilny, Morozov, Zhitnik...never Bure.

I don't recall Bure ever wearing Nike's and those Eastons were from 2000's I think but I might be mistaken.

Seeing all these skates from back in the day I wish today's company's would take a page from the simple design and get back to that. All black skate with white trim whether it be the Mega Air or 652 Tacks is so simple and clean.

1 hour ago, the_game said:

I don't recall Bure ever wearing Nike's and those Eastons were from 2000's I think but I might be mistaken.

Seeing all these skates from back in the day I wish today's company's would take a page from the simple design and get back to that. All black skate with white trim whether it be the Mega Air or 652 Tacks is so simple and clean.

Alkali was close before the sale to Tron and simultaneous letting go of Justin Hoffman.

20 hours ago, flip12 said:

What? When?

Russians who had Nikes:

Fedorov, Korolyuk, Kovalev, Mogilny, Morozov, Zhitnik...never Bure.

WHOOPS! I meant Federov, but all those pictures of Bure confused me!

12 minutes ago, greyskull said:

WHOOPS! I meant Federov, but all those pictures of Bure confused me!

Ha! I was wondering if you were thinking of Feds :)

On 6/6/2017 at 9:49 AM, the_game said:

Those Z-Air's with the carbon holder came out about the same time as 1052... 1998.

I bought 1052 with high school graduation money

i have still got my 652 the pump i put tuuk blades on mine from day one. tuuk holder broke so been looking for some thing different. found some SLM perfecta blades in white and also black so thinking of running perfecta to be different. i still have at home a brand new set of ccm 652 the pump original condition friend ordered to wrong size. 

my skates that i still have at home  

graf 703 supra toplight

ccm 652 the pump x2 

mircon mega 

bauer 5000 

On 6/2/2017 at 2:56 PM, Jgscenter said:

Thought I'd put a old school question out there.

What you favorite old (and I mean really old) skate model?

652, 752, 1052

3000, 4000, Comps, Comp 5000 that sort of thing.

I loved my CCM 652 and 1052

What do you think?

For the young guys, Vapor XXX was sweet too

My favorite skate of the 90's Bauer supreme custom 3000 , My favorite skate in the 80's  The super tack with black tuuk .   Full them with hot water ,dump them out and lace them up ,go to bed for the night. You could play on them the next day  

On 11/18/2017 at 8:46 AM, dubber72 said:

i have still got my 652 the pump i put tuuk blades on mine from day one. tuuk holder broke so been looking for some thing different. found some SLM perfecta blades in white and also black so thinking of running perfecta to be different. i still have at home a brand new set of ccm 652 the pump original condition friend ordered to wrong size. 

my skates that i still have at home  

graf 703 supra toplight

ccm 652 the pump x2 

mircon mega 

bauer 5000 

Perfecta holders and blades are amazing.  Very hard blade